Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:54 am 

Thank you much, Monica!
Just downloaded all three books - and your links in your message are really good visible, too!

The only thing to clarify is now, how did Chopin played his rubato ... :?

Nicole wrote:
I have my definite opinions on EXACTLY how Rubato should be done effectively, but will keep mum for a change :shock:

For me, there exist several kinds of rubato executions, and all have there eligibility.
However, at least I would be really interested to know these your definite opinions about the exactly and effectively rubato execution!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:43 pm 
Quote:
However, at least I would be really interested to know these your definite opinions about the exactly and effectively rubato execution!

Yes. I would love to know them... ;)

Post subject: Re: Tempo Rubato
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 pm 
Steele wrote:
I was wondering what your opinions are on the concept of tempo rubato. Some believe the left hand must be kept in strict time, to avoid the manipulating the rhythm etc. I personally think that the left hand does not need to be kept in strict time so long as the rubato is not too over the top. I hear people being criticized for not keeping the left hand in strict time, yet their interpretation can often sound better because of it. Their may be history behind it, but i think keeping the left hand in strict time with large amounts of rubato in the right hand can ruin some of the harmony and distort the entire feel of the song (from some recordings ive heard.)

I heard Horowitz say that he always employed rubato to play Mozart.. he said that was the only way?

All for a musical reason...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:52 pm 

Phil wrote:
Steele wrote:
I was wondering what your opinions are on the concept of tempo rubato. Some believe the left hand must be kept in strict time, to avoid the manipulating the rhythm etc. I personally think that the left hand does not need to be kept in strict time so long as the rubato is not too over the top. I hear people being criticized for not keeping the left hand in strict time, yet their interpretation can often sound better because of it. Their may be history behind it, but i think keeping the left hand in strict time with large amounts of rubato in the right hand can ruin some of the harmony and distort the entire feel of the song (from some recordings ive heard.)

I heard Horowitz say that he always employed rubato to play Mozart.. he said that was the only way?

All for a musical reason...

Yeah, I noticed that about Horowitz's Mozart, a habit I emulated for many years (much to my teachers' consternation). As I mature, I increasingly refrain from using rubato when playing Mozart, esp. those composed in style galant (Horowitz really pulls the rhythm here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oQzp_-N6IUs. ) Through my studies of Mozart, I feel rubato is unnecessary for the most part. Sometimes, rubato can be a powerful tool in the Classical repertoire but we must use it so subtly.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:21 am 
PJF wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that about Horowitz's Mozart, a habit I emulated for many years (much to my teachers' consternation). As I mature, I increasingly refrain from using rubato when playing Mozart, esp. those composed in style galant (Horowitz really pulls the rhythm here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oQzp_-N6IUs. ) Through my studies of Mozart, I feel rubato is unnecessary for the most part. Sometimes, rubato can be a powerful tool in the Classical repertoire but we must use it so subtly.

Pete

You have made my point.. or my Piano teacher's point. I must be the only one who needs a little Rubato to take Mozart.. at least a little 'musical interpretation'.