Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Lang Lang
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:45 am 

His rendition of the Chopin E Minor Concerto (Live on September 23, 2005) was astonishingly great in every way. The following is proof that even the pros have their, how should I say?...off...moments. Yikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru84UVcP ... ed&search=

oh my... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:37 pm 

:roll: Is this a circus or a piano recital? Anyway, this user comment seems to be adequate: "Lang Lang is the perfect example of how a talented pianist can be totally ruined by the showbiz."
Speaking of showbiz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHiYbvAi ... ed&search=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:16 pm 

Lang Lang would do well from practicing my credo. Outwardly limited, Boundless to inward.
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:24 pm 

Ugh. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Never liked that piece, and the way it is treated by Horovitz and Cziffra. But this gets the cookie - this is absolutely bloody tasteless. I like the version by Donald and Daffy Duck better. It is funnier too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:52 pm 

Derp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:12 am 

Lang Lang has a good day.

Edited by moi, to remove what was probably copyrighted stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:15 am 

[quote="PJF"]Have you seen this one? I think Lang Lang should lay off the Red-Bull! Laughing

Sometimes it seems as if he is taking amphetamines. If he is, he should stop. If he isn't, he should start running 5-10 miles a day to work off the excess energy, which is only getting in his way.

Here he is in a more sedate mode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls9bmtZlUco

Sometimes less is more!

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:20 am 

The same piece, a much different performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxdynCht ... ed&search=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Yikes. I find it hard not to like Lang Lang (he seems like a genuine Big Kid) but this is just plain obnoxious as well as totally unmusical. To hear how it can (and should) be played watch Kissin's Youtube video of the same piece. Just as virtuosic, but has all the notes right and actually sounds like music, without the circus act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Go Kissin!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:11 am 

I too find it hard to dislike LL. I know he can play better than he usually does; he just lets himself unhinged way too easily. Yay, Perhaia! (Kissin, too!)

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:03 am 

Quote:
I too find it hard to dislike LL. I know he can play better than he usually does; he just lets himself unhinged way too easily. Yay, Perhaia! (Kissin, too!)

Pete

sometimes it is ok to be an unhinged loon. It keeps everyone on the edge of their seats. (That is if you can spellbind them with your 200bpm Presto intrepretation of an Etude for the Left hand :roll: )

I like Perahia his Bach Piano Concertos are pretty darn good. (I am starting to like Bach more and more....*melts for Piano Concerto #3 & #7*)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:05 am 
Did anyone who live in SoCal catch the program that Jim Shveda (spelling?) on KUSC exposing the record companies most recent desire to sign "circus-like" performers or "attractive teen idol" like perfromers rather than looking for quality? He did a comparison of Lang Lang's playing with another pianist (the other performer escapes my memory my appologies) however it was very revealing to hear these two performers back to back with the same excerpt. It is obvious by his performances that Lang Lang genuinely feels the music he is playing, this is admirable. But it is the performers job, ultimately, to ensure that the audience feels that music, rather than simply themself. This is Lang Lang's largest fault.
And his Asian Quasi-Mullet haircut.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:22 pm 

well I don't like his playing very much.

It's very impressive But what I love is that he loves the music he plays !!! There are some pianist who don't like/love there music but he loves it and gives everything for the music.

He loves music And I love that he loves music

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:18 pm 

Whatever people think about Lang Lang, I think he is not the kind of pianist most people think a pianist should be. That's all.

He plays like a circus artist. Some people will find that attracting, others disturbing.

I have no opinion about this (I had, too many, so I dropped them all).

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

lol_nl wrote:
He plays like a circus artist. Some people will find that attracting, others disturbing.

Very true. He can woo any audience by just making the most awful racket, playing 200 notes per second, and they will lap it up and stand on their toes applauding. I can see why some critics describe him as completely tasteless and non-musical.

Yet I think there is a genuine musician under all that greasepaint. I heard some excerpt on the radio the other day from his new CD of Chinese music. While the piece itself was little more than watered-down Debussy with black bean sauce, I think he played this with great sensitivity musicality. I also must take heed of my teacher's comment, who was present at a masterclass by Lang Lang, on Mozart I think, and she said he has a very solid musical background, and lots of intersting things to say about this repertoire.

My guess is he may well grow out of the silly antics and be a real great pianist yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:48 am 
Lang Lang plays much better with an orchestra than alone, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:24 am 
Site Admin

saori wrote:
"Virtuosos play what they want, others play what they can."

That reminds me of an Argerich quote I read recently, when she commented on a fellow pianist:

Quote:
He is a good pianist, but he does only what is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:12 pm 
Another quick observation about Lang Lang............We have had a higher density of responses to this forum topic than many others discussing pianist of....finer quality. Doesn't that suggest that though Lang Lang isn't producing beautiful music on a regular basis, he is at least generating interest in classical music as a genre.....Most non-musicians know of only several concert pianists.....and usually one of them is Lang Lang. If he is bringing people into the world of music, eventually culture will win them over and they will see past his make-up....I'm not condoning his antics, only trying to see the good in the bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:39 am 

I agree. Lang Lang is a perfect way to bring over classical music to the youth (to the people of my age lets say 8) :lol: ). They are seriously not interested if they see an old guy like Brendel playing there or Pollini with his strange face. Lang Lang will make them laugh and that's all they need 8).

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:03 am 

Quote:
Pollini with his strange face.

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Sometimes, he (Pollini) screws up his upper lip and nose as though he's trying to ignore something smelly. :lol:

(I digress.)

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:52 pm 
He's simply worthless. His fellow colleague, Yundi Li, is far more musical than he is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uEXI6_JFCUg

it's Liszt, but nothing like Lang Lang's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:06 am 
Site Admin

britishaznerd wrote:
He's simply worthless. His fellow colleague, Yundi Li, is far more musical than he is.

I would agree with the latter assessment. But that this makes LL "simply worthless" is a bit of a sweeping statement to put it mildly. Better perhaps would be to say that some of his performances are simply worthless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:40 pm 
I guess you're right.

but a blatantly clear example of him playing for the camera was that at a certain concert (mostly mozart?) the camerapeople had been careful of not letting Lang Lang know that cameras are broadcasting his performance on TV. But right in the middle of the piece, he visibly changed his attitude when it seemed as though he caught sight of a camera. He played a lot more excitedly and exuberantly.

Infallible evidence of a showman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:32 am 

LL isn't worthless, he's just highly prone to fits of histrionics. Unpredictable might be the word. YL is much more stable and generally more agreeable than LL, IMO.

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:25 pm 

I know a guy who had to laugh when he went to a concert of Lang Lang in Amsterdam. He had to laugh very loud four times and the people all watched him, lol. He just couldn't bear it anymore... He didn't know why he laughed, but mainly because of the way Lang Lang plays. He said the only "normally" played piece was Mozart's K. 330. The rest was hilarious.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:24 am 
Lang Lang is an excellent pianist, but this piece is bloody awful. Not one of Lizst's better moments! Empty virtuosity is all it displays, to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:32 pm 
I can't get over the intense criticism of Lang-Lang. Myself, i only began to appreciate classical music about a year or so ago and i can tell you that the performance aspect of his playing is very entertaining, despite the complaints of all the 'traditional' pianists. You see, i find most pianists who have lang-lang's ability extremely boring to watch, with little personality playing only the 'accepted' interpretation or something very close, without actually feeling the music. The problem with classical music is that too many traditionalist demand that an interpreter should obey the composers exact desires, and not make the piece their own-at the very least i find it near impossible to really feel the music when following the music with tempo changes kept to a minimal for example. I'm not saying Lang lang is the most brilliant pianist, but i am saying most of the comments against him appear to be either jealous, or by people who can't recognize a nice interpretation. For example i think Lang Lang's interpretation of Nocturne 27 no .2 is far better than Pollini's yet he is criticized (see youtube) Anyway, i believe the tradtionalists are killing classical music, because it cannot advance, nor entertain anyone, if a pianist playing Polonaise Op. 53 looks as stone cold dead as chopin himself. Even if it is an act by Lang Lang (in some cases is true, but not all) he is entertaining-i'm just concerned because i love classical music and i fear it will fade away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:22 pm 

As I said already I don't like him. He just changes the pieces so it looks faster and sometimes he makes it easier. But I think classical music needs this kind of people because most people like him and his playing. he is promoting classical music very much.

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject: Re: Lang Lang
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:16 am 
Iron hands and child's brain (not prodigy-child, stupid child). Unbearable.
A joint-venture of industry and stupidity.

Sandro Bisotti.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Sandro Bisotti wrote:
Iron hands and child's brain (not prodigy-child, stupid child). Unbearable.
A joint-venture of industry and stupidity.

Unbearable he can be... and childlike he can act. But make no mistake, there is an extremely
accomplished, well-trained, and sensitive musician underneath all that, as well as considerable intelligence. Just acting like a clown on occasion does not make him stupid.

That reminds me Sandro, you still have not provided me your bio and photograph for the site.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:30 pm 
>... and childlike he can act.

Or be.

> But make no mistake,

To play in this manner is IMHO a mistake. Music is also a sport, but he plays as music is only a sport.

>Just acting like a clown on occasion does not make him stupid.

The problem is that his playing has perfect relation with his acting. They are the same.
The music is so strong to save herself, the image of pianism (and of chinese and oriental pianism
which has many very good pianists) as poetic research is IMHO offended.

> That reminds me Sandro, you still have not provided me your bio and photograph for the site

Thank you.
I've sent bio, and I'll re-send within tomorrow. For the photo I 'll send in a second time
(I've not my recent photos, but I'll remedy).

All best,
Sandro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, but I don't know what all the fuss is about regarding Lang Lang. I wish I could play half as good as he. Who cares if he moves around a lot. If I can get over Kissin's hair, then I can get over Lang's moves.

Quote:
The music is so strong to save herself, the image of pianism (and of chinese and oriental pianism

You're talking to fancy for me, here. :) I don't really get what you're saying.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:24 pm 
You're talking to fancy for me, here. :) I don't really get what you're saying.[/quote]

What I've written. I consider him more a sport-man (a recorman of notes per second, may be. At the end of his Liszt-DonJuan he seems to have obtained the record) or a blacksmith than an artist. Infantilism and industry, not a trace of piano poetry. I repeat, for my taste unbearable.
But perfectly logic by a commercial point of view, and then I find his success normal.
By a musical point of view, I've heard on this site (and out of it) tons of interpretations much more fascinating and convincing than LangLang's.
For make two examples, do you really think that the chinese blacksmith can play Chopin near at
the level of Setrakian, or Carnevale (beautiful, IMHO, his Mazurka 17-4)?
I'm sure of no.

All best,
Sandro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:34 am 
Site Admin

My dear Sandro Bisotti,
Yes, there are fantastic pianists on the site, but remember that Lang Lang is still very young, only 24 or 25 years old, I believe. He's not my favorite pianist, either, but I feel he truly lives and breathes music and will no doubt improve as he goes along. And I hope he never looses the enthusiasm he exudes when he plays. Watching him is more fun than someone who sits there like a zombie. As far a listening goes - you have me beat, there, as I don’t have time to listen to 2,000 cd’s and compare all the players. I do appreciate your opinions along that line even though it is a bit overwhelming.

Quote:
Infantilism and industry, not a trace of piano poetry

don't agree with you.

Quote:
you really think that the chinese blacksmith can play Chopin near at
the level of Setrakian, or Carnevale

Yes, I think he can do anything he wants to.

I don’t think the classical music world is desperate enough to elevate some “Chinese blacksmith” into stardom when there are a thousand really good players in the world. Even in the town where I live there are at least a dozen. I just came home from a concert and the players were as good as any I have heard. So to make it into the ‘big time’ is a great accomplishment and Lang Lang must be doing something right, besides being a good showman.

We all have our opinions and you have very strong ones. That’s fine, that’s what this forum is for. And I hope you're not too upset with me right now, (are you waving your hands in the air and mumbling obscenities? I married an Italian, so I know. :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:40 am 
Site Admin

Maybe Lang Lang holds the record for the most notes per second, and for the most vulgar rendition of the Liszt 2nd rhapsody. So what, others have been there before him (think Cziffra...)

For a well-formed opinion of Lang-Lang one should hear his recent recording of Chinese music. Not only is this a self-effacing and enterprising thing to do, flying in the face of commercial considerations, but here you hear exquisite, musical and poetic playing, shorn of any show effects - never mind whether you like that music or not. I guess he could be one of the greatest Debussy interpreters if he set his mind to it. There is far more to this kid than meets the casual eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:

For a well-formed opinion of Lang-Lang one should hear his recent recording of Chinese music. Not only is this a self-effacing and enterprising thing to do, flying in the face of commercial considerations, but here you hear exquisite, musical and poetic playing, shorn of any show effects -

Yes, I listened to it too. It's beautiful music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:04 pm 
[quote="pianolady"]My dear Sandro Bisotti,

>>
I don’t think the classical music world is desperate enough to elevate some “Chinese blacksmith” into stardom when there are a thousand really good players in the world.

Without any polemics: this is exactly what I think!
But a moment. Not "desperate", the chinese market about piano (concert, lessons, instruments,
concerts, recordings etc.) is fabulous. I'll prefer other there are better chinese testimonial
of this "boom", and I think many chinese pianists plays better than him. But this opinion is nothing;
the fact (absolutely positive, IMHO) is the interest of chinese culture for classical music and pianism.

> We all have our opinions and you have very strong ones. That’s fine, that’s what this forum is

Surely. Sorry for my being so direct in my opinions. But I find it's better to exaggerate
(without becoming personal, but it's not our case) than telling that all is the same, all are
goods, etc...

> And I hope you're not too upset with me right now, (are you waving your hands in the air and mumbling obscenities?

:D :D :D Let me tell you I like better your Chopin and the fact you are so agreeable to your
opinions about LangLang.....

Bye, and again excuse for my extremism.
"Au revoir" to next discussion (and next our recordings. Mine are much better now at 2000 CD than
when I was at 200, I cannot imagine as they sounds when I'll be at 20000... :D :D ..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:30 pm 
><For a well-formed opinion of Lang-Lang one should hear his recent recording of Chinese music. Not only is this a self-effacing and enterprising thing to do, flying in the face of commercial considerations, but here you hear exquisite, musical and poetic playing, shorn of any show effects -

Very interesting. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sandro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Sandro, I'm glad you have a good sense of humor. We should get along fine, (except you still talk a bit too fancy for me. :) )
I hope you post your picture with your bio.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:25 am 

Sandro Bisotti wrote:

>Huh? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:42 am 

I love his facial expressions! :D :oops: :cry: :twisted: :roll: :shock: :? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:45 pm 

Forrest Gump would say, "Life is like that guy, Lang-Lang, you never know what you're gonna get. :lol:

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Had to go back a lot to find this thread.

I went to Lang Lang’s concert in Chicago yesterday. It was everything I expected – wonderful music, plenty of facial expressions and wild arm and body gestures. Pretty much just as you see in the YouTube videos. However, that some people can’t get over his flamboyant stage presence and just listen to his playing is a mystery to me, as his tone was everything from the softest pianissimo and delicate, dainty runs to powerful, knock-your-socks-off fortissimo. He played great! Yes, he often did what I call ‘float into outer-space”, which is when he leans back and looks upward, or he just closes his eyes and plays. And sometimes he hit the keys hard and then shot both arms out to the side like he was an airplane (that was kind of funny). Other times, he reached up to the highest keys and then dropped his arms down and looked like he was going to fall off the bench. But even with all that, you can certainly tell that he puts his whole heart and soul into the music and thoroughly enjoys playing.

First on the program was Schubert’s Piano Sonata in A Major, D 959. It was pretty long, lasting around 45 minutes. I didn’t hear any wrong notes, but I don’t know the music, either. Then intermission. After that came Bartok’s Piano Sonata Sz. 80. Wow – that was something! Talk about unbelievably powerful playing! I thought the piano was going to disintegrate. He used music on this, but not on the other pieces. Next were selected Debussy preludes; three from each book. The first one was La fille aux cheveux de lin, which many of us here have played and recorded. His rendition was beautiful and very much standard to what I’m accustomed to. The final piece was Chopin’s Polonaise in A-flat major, Op. 53. I have mixed feelings about it. I think he just went a little overboard. That left-hand octave part – wow – incredible how he played it so fast! And ‘Joe Public’ probably didn’t hear them, but I heard several slips, like five or six. I wasn’t surprised, since he was playing so wildly. Still, if he could contain himself a bit, there would be fewer, if any mistakes. Perhaps because he is still so young that he does this, and maturity will settle him down. Of course the audience loved it and applauded forever, it seemed. So after that explosive piece, he came out for an encore and played Chopin’s Etude Op. 10, no. 3 in E-major. Again, beautiful playing – the outer parts soft and magical, the middle hard part strong and confident.

And that was it. Only one encore. Not sure why, as every other concert I’ve been to, the performer played three or four numbers. I did see a bandage on his finger in the second half of the concert that wasn’t there on the first half. Or maybe it was because he was to sign CD’s afterwards and the ‘managers’ wanted him to get to it. Who knows…

Anyway, I’m glad I went. As to his clothes - he wore a black suit with a mandarin collar and black shirt underneath, buttoned up and no tie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:13 pm 

Monica, your review is spot-on. I have to say I am a big fan of Lang Lang now. He changed
my mind about Debussy. His on-stage "antics" are extremely entertaining and I think help to
point out the things he thinks is important. I have watched many videos of him on youtube
and I have to say that yesterday he played at a maturity level far beyond anything I've
seen from him before.

I do think there was another encore coming but he waited too long to come back out.
Usually when it's really over the lights go up and the stage door closes, but the lights were
still low and the door was still open when the audience gave up clapping and left :)

Did you wait around for his autograph? I did and it was fun to see all the young Chinese
girls swooning over him. Many of them were passing him notes and inviting him to parties
or to come play at their schools. He was very responsive to them too, very modest and nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

bclever wrote:
Did you wait around for his autograph?

No. I was with my husband and my parents, and they all wanted to go out for dinner. :)

Did you get his autograph?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:51 pm 

You know when you're driving on the highway, and there's been a crash of some sort? And all of a sudden, traffic grinds to a halt because everybody who passes by has to slow down and watch?

Well... that's what I think of Lang Lang.

He's really just a bad car accident. And it's so hard to just close your eyes and listen, because you are too fascinated/horrified by his stage presence.

Though... I did try closing my eyes through a few youtube videos (turned off the monitor!) and I can say that I don't think he really is as good a pianist as some claim him to be. I think it's all just hype from his stage excitement.

And this video amuses me to no end: http://youtube.com/watch?v=u6LcbKNMIC0

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Chris M – You have to get over this facial expression and gestures thing, as it’s getting old and boring. But since you are still very young, it’s no surprise that you would have such a puerile opinion of Lang Lang’s playing.

If you would do as you yourself suggest - turn off the monitor and just listen to some of his pieces, you would hear that he can play as well as all the rest of the professionals when he wants to. On that stupid Youtube video that you posted, I recognized some of the clips from the shirt he was wearing and know that the piece he was playing at that time was Chopin’s Nocturne Op. 27, no. 2. If you bother to actually listen to it, you can hear how surreal, how incredibly sublime he plays it. I think it is a perfect rendition in every way. And as bclever mentioned about his performance of the Debussy pieces yesterday – his playing was beautiful and could not have been better performed by anyone.

I admit that I don’t like what Lang Lang does with his face all the time, either, but you cannot say that he is a bad player. That is a derisive statement and people who say things like this sound like they are jealous and sorry that they can’t play as well. Yes, he has some unflattering performances and unfortunately for him, he lives in this Youtube age where everything he does can be documented and viewed by everyone. But he will grow up and probably tire of his ‘showboating’. No doubt he will also continue to develop his talent.

I think he deserves more respect, and you need to open your mind and get off the LL-bashing bandwagon. It's unbecoming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:53 pm 

I don't particularly care if whether or not it's becoming to bash Lang Lang.

I have listened to some of his music, and I have tried to not look... and I don't get the same experience that I do when listening to Horowitz, Argerich, Rubenstein, or Ashkenazy, to name a few.

And I certianly feel that I can say he's a bad player... just like I could say that Richter has little to no emotional output, or that Andrei Gavriolv plays Rachmaninoff's moments musicaux like a bull in a china shop. It's all highly subjective, if you ask me.

I'd much perfer to hear Pollini playing some Debussy, and providing the audience with real emotional output, and a becoming stage presence.

Lang Lang simply annoys me in many regards. As do a number of pianists/composers/conductors. I reserve my intense dislike for more than just him. Many others cannot be sparred my attacks. It's just that I haven't gotten around to doing the attacking yet :P

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.