Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Scarlatti sonatas E-Major.L30; E Major L23;b minor L49
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:56 pm
Posts: 552
Jntroduction and Scarlatti Sonatas

Scarlatti - Sonata in E major, L.430 / K.531
Scarlatti - Sonata in E major, L.23 / K.380
Scarlatti - Sonata in B minor, L.449 / K.27


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 2388
Location: Obamanation, unfortunately...
Did you use the Kirkpatrick numbering or the Longo numbering? When were these recorded? What kind of piano?

Like your Bach, these are well played, in my opinion, however I am not too familiar with Scarlatti (partly because he wrote so much music for the keyboard)

_________________
Madam, what makes you think that I play with my hands?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 2388
Location: Obamanation, unfortunately...
opps, sorry I did not notice the heading to your post. That answers my first question.

_________________
Madam, what makes you think that I play with my hands?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:32 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8501
Hi Raymond, Nice playing on all three. I especially liked the first two. ( I'm an E-Major kind of girl)
The second piece is one of Scarlatti's popular sonatas, right? I've heard it before even though I haven't listened to very much Scarlatti.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Germany
I especially liked the introduction, how about a PianoSociety internet radio station? :lol:

To be serious, I can't make any constructive comments besides saying that I also found the B minor sonata a bit less inspired than the other two, but still quite enjoyable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:01 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9551
Location: Netherlands
Lovely played, Raymond. In contrast with other commentors, I liked the last one best, perhaps because it is more subdued and 'deeper' than the average Scarlatti Sonatas (I believe the slow ones stand out from the crowd musically, not that I've heard them all ...). All are played with great skill, authority, and warmth. Bravo !

Shame about the off-tune piano in that famous E major sonata. I guess these were recorded over some span of time ?

I don't really know what to do with the spoken introduction... Yes we are planning to revive the Radio Show (for those of you who were around in early days) but even then I would not know how to make use of it, unless we were to combine this bit of text, together with these three sonatas, into one track. Technically, that is an option although it goes against the normal way we organize things, so I think it is not a good idea.

I will put these recordings on the site over the weekend or perhaps earlier when I have some time.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:24 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9551
Location: Netherlands
I am in trouble here... perhaps someone can help out ?

According to the title, the sonatas posted here are

Longo 30 - E Major
Longo 23 - E major
Longo 47 - B major

Now on this site we use the Kirkpatrick numbering (dont' ask why...). So I found this translation list on the web : http://www.classical.net/music/composer/works/scarlattid/lists/longo.html, which says:

L. 23 K. 380 P. 483 E Major Andante comodo
L. 30 K. 82 P. 25 F Major -
L. 49 K. 234 P. 286 G minor Andante

I believe this to be correct as it is consistent with my CD SheetMusic CD. Only the L.23 is what is actually played. The sonatas presented as L.30 and L.49 are not what they claim to be.... and this is already wrong on the CD listing (http://cdbaby.com/cd/smullyan). So which numbers are they ???
Any help appreciated.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Corrections
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:56 pm
Posts: 552
techneut wrote:
I am in trouble here... perhaps someone can help out ?
Dear Chris. I am sorry for my numerical goofs! L30 should have been L430, which is K531, and L49 should be L449, which is K173
Raymond

According to the title, the sonatas posted here are

Longo 30 - E Major
Longo 23 - E major
Longo 47 - B major

Now on this site we use the Kirkpatrick numbering (dont' ask why...). So I found this translation list on the web : http://www.classical.net/music/composer/works/scarlattid/lists/longo.html, which says:

L. 23 K. 380 P. 483 E Major Andante comodo
L. 30 K. 82 P. 25 F Major -
L. 49 K. 234 P. 286 G minor Andante

I believe this to be correct as it is consistent with my CD SheetMusic CD. Only the L.23 is what is actually played. The sonatas presented as L.30 and L.49 are not what they claim to be.... and this is already wrong on the CD listing (http://cdbaby.com/cd/smullyan). So which numbers are they ???
Any help appreciated.


Last edited by rsmullyan on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:56 pm
Posts: 552
techneut wrote:
Lovely played, Raymond. In contrast with other commentors, I liked the last one best, perhaps because it is more subdued and 'deeper' than the average Scarlatti Sonatas (I believe the slow ones stand out from the crowd musically, not that I've heard them all ...). All are played with great skill, authority, and warmth. Bravo !

Shame about the off-tune piano in that famous E major sonata. I guess these were recorded over some span of time ?

I don't really know what to do with the spoken introduction... Yes we are planning to revive the Radio Show (for those of you who were around in early days) but even then I would not know how to make use of it, unless we were to combine this bit of text, together with these three sonatas, into one track. Technically, that is an option although it goes against the normal way we organize things, so I think it is not a good idea.

I will put these recordings on the site over the weekend or perhaps earlier when I have some time.


Dear Chris.Before you decide not to include my introductions,please wait untill
you get my whole CD. I would be very sorry to lose them, since they really add
something to the CD as a whole.A certain imtimacy would be lost without them.
Raymond


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reply
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:47 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9551
Location: Netherlands
rsmullyan wrote:
Dear Chris.Before you decide not to include my introductions,please wait untill
you get my whole CD. I would be very sorry to lose them, since they really add
something to the CD as a whole.A certain imtimacy would be lost without them.

Yes I appreciate that. The problem is that on PS we do not have the concept of a collection or CD. Pieces are grouped by composer and opus, not by the order on a CD. I understand it would be your preference to have the entire CD on one page by itself but we'll need to re-think our design for that.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Corrections
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:52 am 
Quote:
So which numbers are they ???


Chris,

Track 8 is the b minor sonata L.449 / K.27
Track 6 is the E major sonata L.430 / K.531

It seems some "4s" dropped in the CD cover.

hth,
alf


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:55 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9551
Location: Netherlands
Great ! Thanks a bunch for sorting that out :D

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:49 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9551
Location: Netherlands
These three are up the site now. Great playing !

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlatti sonatas E-Major.L30; E Major L23;b minor L49
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:49 pm 
[quote="rsmullyan"]Jntroduction and Scarlatti Sonatas

Well played, and very interesting sound and phrasing.
It seems that between harpsichord and modern piano you have choose.... a fortepiano.
This sound (that you wanted, surely) has the same suggesting delicacy of the instruments of late XIIX century, as the average phrasing . Rare and particular approach, but IMHO very coherent and convincing.

All best,
Sandro.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlatti sonatas E-Major.L30; E Major L23;b minor L49
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:56 pm
Posts: 552
Sandro Bisotti wrote:
rsmullyan wrote:
Jntroduction and Scarlatti Sonatas

Well played, and very interesting sound and phrasing.
It seems that between harpsichord and modern piano you have choose.... a fortepiano.
This sound (that you wanted, surely) has the same suggesting delicacy of the instruments of late XIIX century, as the average phrasing . Rare and particular approach, but IMHO very coherent and convincing.

All best,
Sandro.


Sandro, I recorded these on a modern Steinway.
Raymond


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group