Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: strength and stamina
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:19 pm 

I recently bought myself a digital piano with weighted keys and I discovered that my arms get tired and start hurting easily. I know this is because my fingers and forearms are "out of shape" and that constant exercising and playing will eventually build up my endurance.

Is there any way to speed this up? Like, do weights or other physical activities increase my performance quicker? I want to get back to how I used to play years ago before college.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 am 

Swim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:52 am 

PJF wrote:
Swim.

me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Make sure you are sitting at the proper height.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:15 am 

What was your piano prior to this one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:19 am 
Site Admin

I've been doing weight training since I started fitness last year, and it feels to me like it improves strength and endurance, as well (strangely enough) relaxed playing. You could give it a try, it's fun to see these muscles appear where you never knew there were any :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:24 am 

techneut wrote:
it's fun to see these muscles appear where you never knew there were any :wink:

oh c'mon, don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure the Misses appreciates the new, hammer forged Christopher Breemer 8) ....*insert Schwarzenegger accent here* Ja, das ist gut!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:43 am 

During college I hardly ever played. And for the last 2 years I've been playing on a Casio keyboard... no key resistance at all. The most obvious shortcut to endurance I can think of is to excersize my forearms with weights and use that contraption that guitarists use to strengthen their fingers...

As for swimming... I'm at a loss, both logically and because I don't have a swimming pool in my bvackyard.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:22 pm 

I too play on a keyboard without any weight on the keys, I can't last, or do as much, when I am playing on weighted keys. I think that if you diligently practice the strength and endurance will come naturally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:58 pm 

[quote="claudiogut"]During college I hardly ever played. And for the last 2 years I've been playing on a Casio keyboard... no key resistance at all. The most obvious shortcut to endurance I can think of is to excersize my forearms with weights and use that contraption that guitarists use to strengthen their fingers...

a quick one, when I was in uni I used to use the grand piano and so as their upright(practice room when ever is avaliable at my lunch breaks and early morning(7.30am) or other free time.
This will build your finger power/forearm straight away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:31 pm 

Weights will NOT make you faster. Anyone that says that doesn't know what they're talking about. Bulking up can only make you slower. You play slow because you have tension in your arms and hands. Get rid of the tension and you will play fast - simple as that. That's what your practice should focus on -- not on strengthening your hands for more endurance, but in relaxing so you never get tired in the first place. The absence of tension will also get rid of the soreness that may happen as you mention.

When you don't play for awhile, the muscles are not as coordinated as they could be, and in haste to play faster, you are using your muscles in an inefficient manner. Don't worry so much about speed right now. Take care of the coordination and tension issues and speed will happen on its own.

Have fun and make sure the bench is the right height!! lol

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:31 pm 

jlh wrote:
Weights will NOT make you faster. Anyone that says that doesn't know what they're talking about. Bulking up can only make you slower. You play slow because you have tension in your arms and hands. Get rid of the tension and you will play fast - simple as that. That's what your practice should focus on -- not on strengthening your hands for more endurance, but in relaxing so you never get tired in the first place. The absence of tension will also get rid of the soreness that may happen as you mention.

When you don't play for awhile, the muscles are not as coordinated as they could be, and in haste to play faster, you are using your muscles in an inefficient manner. Don't worry so much about speed right now. Take care of the coordination and tension issues and speed will happen on its own.

Have fun and make sure the bench is the right height!! lol

Josh

YES, YES, YES!!! You are absolutely right, Josh! (Your playing is evidence of that!)

I can preach this to my students 'til I'm blue in the face! Coordination is EVERYTHING!

Far too often, the novice practices futility over utility. Attempts at "building strength" are often made by putting a constant downward pressure on the keys. To cite the metaphorical beaten dead horse, Chopin's 10/1 (the 10/2 even more so) is mistakenly played with this great downward friction and therefore great difficulty. This practice of keybedding is the single most destructive (not to mention frustrating) activity in which a pianist can engage. The correct technique is not one involving brute force, in fact the polar opposite is true! We must strive toward a technique of kinetic minimums. Imagine the greyhound; with perfect coordination, it can attain astonishing speeds with, what at first glance, is a terribly frail carriage.

Coordination over force. I shall repeat that. Coordination ALWAYS takes precedent over force.

In case you missed it....

Coordination over force. Coordination over force. Coordination over force. Coordination over force. Coordination over force. Coordination over force. Coordination over force.
They still won't get it. :lol:

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:57 am 

Get what? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:11 am 

Who? :lol:

Post subject: HUH?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:28 pm 

What was that? Coordination over WHAT?