Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Learning
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:17 am 
What are the different methods that exist for learning piano?
And what method is used in this article http://members.aol.com/chang8828/contents.htm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:15 pm 

That book uses an own method, by the author, a kind of mix of different methods that many people use. It's until now the closest to what I learn from my teacher.

Some other methods include:

Suzuki - http://www.suzuki-music.com/
This is a general educational method, just as Plato, Aristotle,
etc.

Taubman Method - http://www.balancedpianist.com/bptaubman.htm
No idea what it exactly is, but it's taught by Robert Macdonald at Juilliard and Robert Shannon at Oberlin (I heard from another forum).

There are plenty of methods, I just can't name them all because I don't know any more. You can google to find more or something.

EDIT: A guy called Kreisler at another forum posted this:

[quote='Kreisler']
Every teacher has his or her own particular way, but at the beginning level, it mostly boils down to Suzuki, Russian/Chinese and what most people call "Traditional."

The Suzuki approach is for children and approaches the ear first. The Russian/Chinese approach focuses on the development of musicianship through technique, and "Traditional" lessons typically focus on reading. Examples of the "Traditional" approach include the ABRSM syllabus and most MTA syllabi in the United States.

Also, most "self teaching" methods focus on reading and/or chordal approaches. (There's no such thing as self-taught Suzuki, and a self-taught Russian approach wouldn't make any since because the training of technique is highly dependent on someone diagnosing your problems and showing you what to do.
[/quote]

EDIT 2: I see that you have also posted in that forum :lol: .

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by lol_nl on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:52 pm 

I think you need to combine all 3 in 1 style maybe I will make some style. I think its very interesting! I going to give some pianolessons. I will see what I do.

nice topic!

gr,

robert

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:12 pm 
I tried to use google but i'm not intersted in buying a book or some magical CDs. Im looking for information! I wan't to hire a piano teacher but I don't know what to look for. I'm 17 and I want to learn how to play all those difficult piano pieces. I wan't to play specially Chopin music. But until now I only know how to play Nocturne op. 9 2, and etude op. 25 1. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:19 pm 
GET A RUSSIAN STYLE TEACHER! This style is uncomparable in tone and technical production. The teachers are trained to give practical advice to their students. The wonder- woman piano teacher, Rosina Lhevinne, taught this style. Many of her students became famous and none got tendonitis. Some of the greatest pianists have emerged from this style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:28 pm 

I agree, Russian teaching is the best in the world. I think European and American teaching lacks intensivity, also due to the culture and circumstances the people live in (here in Holland for example, the people are SO lazy... Everything is done very slowly and relaxed, no need to worry, I got the feeling), and everything is not strict enough.

The other schools, Russian and Chinese/Asian, are very strict and intensive. IMO the Russian pwns :lol: , cuz they concentrate more on tone and the Chinese/Asian is just pure technique, creating many "robot-pianists" who have an amzing technique but lack of musicality.

My teacher studied in Russia, at the Moscow Conservatory for a few years :lol: .

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche