Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:26 am 

Hi, I'm not really sure what to compose, I have so many melodies in my head. I've already composed 3 waltzes (E, F# minor, Db) and one prelude (F minor) when I was like 9, but idk what to do now. I have a hard time putting the ideas into notes that I play.

Waltzes being my favorite type of piece and E major being my favorite key, I think I might sort of "redo" my old one because I have the most ideas there. But any ideas on what pieces would be easy to start out composing (piano only) would be appreciated. I know this sounds kind of vague and amaturish, but I don't really know how to phrase it.

Also if anyone happens to compose on a Yamaha Clavinova, is there a way to have the score show as 2 hands instead of everything in one? And if you can't on the Clavinova, once you put it into the computer, can you do it then? Thanks.

Post subject: Notating your performance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:04 am 
Hello Chopinman,

I took your question to the local Yamaha dealership, and as usual did not get a definitive answer as to how to get the Clavinova's screen to render the score in both staves. Just received the stock answer: "Yes, it probably can be done, but you'd have to find out in the manual how that's done."

All is not lost, however:
If you were to save your file to disk, presumably as a standard midi file, you could then load it into the floppy drive (maybe requiring a floppy-to-USB drive) of your computer. Then, assuming you have notation software such as Finale or Sibelius, you could import the file into musical notation.

That would be only the beginning, because even if the software allows you to assign a key-break wherein notes above a certain pitch are assigned to the upper staff, and lower notes get assigned to the bass staff, the result would probably not be "playable". You would have to save the file, and, perhaps by hand, enter a second version of the work in a manner that suits a pianist's fingers.

Thought this might be of help.

Cheers,

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:50 pm 

Wow, thank you for going through all of that trouble. I really appreciate it. I looked in the manual, and not much was said about that, but I think I'll try to figure it out. I just want to be able to play my compositions after I compose them.

While I don't have Finale or Sibelius, I do have an outdated program called Printmusic (made by the same company) which will suffice for now, I hope. The manager at the Yamaha store told me a program called something along the lines of "Noteworthy Composer" which you could download for a free 30 trial period, which has now expired for me. So, I will probably continue to use Printmusic until Hannukah or whenever I have the option of getting it.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:43 am 

Can we listen to your compositions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:00 pm 

Yeah definitely!! Unfortunately I'm a slow composer and between school and 6 hours of homework and projects a night (and I'm only in eighth grade!!!) I don't have much time to do it. But when I finish a composition, I promise you I will put it up on the forums.

Thanks for your interest in my composing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 pm 

chopinman0901 wrote:
(and I'm only in eighth grade!!!)

Wait until College. Then you can say "I dont feel like doing this" and no one is there to yell at you! :D

A key to hurrying up your schedule is: creative multitasking. Do your homework while you walk, or while you are doing your morning routine. Also, do your homework for, example, math while you are in, example, english class.

If you do this then we will be hearing your compositions by next week! YES!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:03 pm 

Haha, I wish it were that easy, but thanks for the tips anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:23 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
chopinman0901 wrote:

Also, do your homework for, example, math while you are in, example, english class.

Highly recommended. This gets easier to do at the end of high school :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:19 am 

Okay I've started on a compostition for real. I'm actually writing it though. It is only two lines so far and is a slow, Chopin/Rachmaninoff style waltz. Once I can actually take the time to record what I have so far I'll try to put it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:14 am 

r590 wrote:
juufa72 wrote:
chopinman0901 wrote:

Also, do your homework for, example, math while you are in, example, english class.

Highly recommended. This gets easier to do at the end of high school :-)

Haha yeah I do that all the time. Luckily my most homework-demanding class is 6th period so I have pretty much all day to finish assignments. The only downfall is I have math first period so I'm usually screwed if I don't finish that.

That's great to see another young composer such as I, interested in classical though.