Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin- Mazurka in a minor Op. 67 Nr 4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:49 am 

One of my favorite Chopin Mazurkas. Take two of about seven, after fourteen failed takes of Scarlatti Sonata K.127. :oops: :cry: You'll hear that soon, though; fourteen focused efforts are always a step in the right direction as long as you're focused on the right things, and I think I am. 8) This was on my to do list anyway, so no problem, I hope you enjoy it.

The Four Mazurkas Op.67 are posthumous works published after Chopin's death by his pupil and friend Jules Fontana, a fascinating historical figure in his own right. You can read about him here... [url] http://www.julianfontana.com/biography/biography.html [/url One of the most popular of Chopin's Mazurkas, this piece is reproduced in three versions in the Paderewski Edition of Chopin's works; Fontana's edition, Chopin's autograph, dated Paris/1848 and the "version after the manuscript" published by E. Ganche. I originally learned this mazurka from the Fontana edition but tonight (this morning?) I refreshed and aided my memory from Chopin's autograph, which gave me a fresh perspective on a piece I've played more than a few times. Comments are welcome and wanted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know this mazurka well enough to critique, but I think you played it very well. I didn't hear a single mistake. Nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:18 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I don't know this mazurka well enough to critique, but I think you played it very well. I didn't hear a single mistake. Nice job.

Thanks! I don't think there are any note mistakes, some things could be a little better, but that's always true; our blessing and our curse.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Another quality recording. Very thougthfully and tastefully played, and not a note out of place. Congratulations ! Do you ever play a wrong note ? :x

There are some little things as always. It sounds a touch dry, maybe that is just the recording/reverb. The dynamics are a bit constrained, one does not really hear the forte passages nor the crescendos. My guess is they sound just fine when you play but they disappear in the recording. You'll need to 'exaggerate' the dynamics more to make them stand out (I am slowly getting used to that principle now, it's a bit of a culture shock at first).
It seems your triplets are marginally too fast (same habit as I have :lol: ) making them sound more like trills sometimes. And I think the fermata near the end of the trio is a bit too long. Apart from these minor quibbles this can't really be bettered.

[Edit] I have just put it up the site. Keep going, as we really must have all the Mazurkas one day !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:37 am 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
It seems your triplets are marginally too fast (same habit as I have :lol: ) making them sound more like trills sometimes.

I thought this too but otherwise not much to comment on but perhaps the use of rubato in Chopin's mazurkas which is a very complex discussion and nobody seem to agree on. So more up to the performer I guess.

Well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:10 pm 

Thanks Chris and Robert for your comments; the triplets are a bit quick. They sound okay but I will be careful of this in the future, I can hear it in my recording of "Granada" too. They should be played melodicaly as well as technically; I guess I like these triplet figures that abound in Mazurkas and Spanish music to "snap", but they don't always have to do that. I will slow some of them down.

Yes Chris, I play quite a few wrong notes! :oops: But you guys don't get to hear them 8)

Perhaps someday you will hear me play live, you'll hear the wrong the notes, but they are not so noticeable in a concert due to acoustics and the real time experience of hearing music live, that indefineable communication between the audience and performer that occurs in person. Recordings are a different bag, the sound is more vivid and mistakes are more evident. All this recording has been good for my playing, it's made it more precise and it's made me more disciplined. If you make a mistake in concert you MUST go on, in a recording you MUST stop. I feel like I'm in school again, but I am the teacher now
8) Not that I am easy on myself, quite the contrary... :twisted: