Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Rachmaninoff, Moments Musicaux Op.16,Setrak Setrakian Piano
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:11 am 
Rachmaninoff, Moments Musicaux Op.16,No.1,2,3,4,5,6,Setrak Setrakian Piano Live Recording

Op.16 no.1 - Andantino In B Flat Minor
Op.16 no.2 - Allegretto In E Flat Minor
Op.16 no.3 - Andante Cantabile In B Minor
Op.16 no.4 - Presto In E Minor
Op.16 no.5 - Adagio Sostenuto In D Flat Major
Op.16 no.6 - Maestoso In C Major

Post subject: Re: Rachmaninoff, Moments Musicaux Op.16,Setrak Setrakian Pi
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:38 am 

I was just listening to Ashkenazy's recording of these the other day and wondering why I didn't totally love it, as I usually do with his Rachmaninov. Now I can make a comparison. For instance, he takes #4 noticeably slower and hits more of the notes, but it sounds cautious compared to your more lively version. And I usually like his tone, but his #6 is thick and heavy in a way that's harder to follow than yours.

Speaking of tone, from time to time yours sounds golden, almost like Rachmaninov himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:42 am 
Anyway, Ashkenazy's recording is more perfect them my performing

Post subject: Re: Rachmaninoff, Moments Musicaux Op.16,Setrak Setrakian Pi
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:56 pm 

schmonz wrote:
I was just listening to Ashkenazy's recording of these the other day and wondering why I didn't totally love it, as I usually do with his Rachmaninov. Now I can make a comparison. For instance, he takes #4 noticeably slower and hits more of the notes, but it sounds cautious compared to your more lively version. And I usually like his tone, but his #6 is thick and heavy in a way that's harder to follow than yours.

Speaking of tone, from time to time yours sounds golden, almost like Rachmaninov himself.

I agree with schmonz. Note perfection does not necessarily make the performance. The mood was captured perfectly. Ashkenazy is Ashkenazy and Rachmaninov is Rachmaninov, all pianists have their strengths and weaknesses. One of Askenazys weaknesses, IMO, was his often harsh tone. You, Mr. Sertrakian do no have that problem.

I don't care about note perfection or lack thereof. All I care about is the sound. Does it sound as the composer intended? Does it convey the mood? Does it move me as a listener? To those last three questions I can answer, as to your performances, YES!

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

I also agree that your recordings Setrak of Rach's Op.16 is world class when it comes to musical performance. They are up on the site.