Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Erik Satie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:59 pm 

Poor Erik was quite strange....a rather interesting(?) life. He was a contemporary of both Debussy and Ravel who both orchestrated and played his music in concer. Most people are very opinionated about Satie's music. How 'bout you?

Gymnopedie No.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 pm 

I love Satie's music.

About the recording; very well played, but what is that static? I don't understand why a 128 bit rate would sound like a 32 bit rate. I'm confused.

I did enjoy it despite the digital interference. Well done, Mr. Robson!

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:28 pm 

Satie was a strange person. I heard on my local classical radio station that when he died, is brother went to Erik's apartment--he was the first to enter his brother's place for over 20+ years--upon going through Erik's belongings his brother noted (I believe) ~30 umbrellas, 7 suits, a hammock, two pianos and stacks of newspapers. That was it. Talk about strange!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Nice job, John. Good dynamics, tempo, soft and gentle. Same with your other Satie.

I don't have any static. Pete, maybe your connection was bad

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:20 pm 

Did anyone else have that digitized sounding interference on the 1st Gymnopedie? Maybe it was my connection?

I'm just nit-picking, sorry :lol: !

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

I just listened to it and did not notice anything unusual, apart from (I think) a read error near the end. Good job, a bit too much pedal I think (some blurred harmonies).

I think that must be true about all his umbrellas, he had a thing with them. He was a realy weird guy. But 2 pianos ? Sounds strange - he was known to pester Ravel and Debussy for use of their pianos, as he did not own one himself. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:03 pm 

techneut wrote:
I think that must be true about all his umbrellas, he had a thing with them. He was a realy weird guy. But 2 pianos ? Sounds strange - he was known to pester Ravel and Debussy for use of their pianos, as he did not own one himself. :?

Maybe I am wrong... :x

Post subject: Satie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:29 pm 

Debussy was said to have told Satie that his music would be improved by more attention to the form. So Satie wrote a piano duet entitled "Three Pieces in the Form of a Pear."

Another example of his off-beat humor was his directions to performers:"Deep in thought,On the tip of the tongue, With Light Intimacy, Without Pride, Don't Go Out, Open Your Mind, Provide yourself with clear sightedness," etc.

I read somewhere that he started his own religion. I can't remember the long name of it, but it was about "Jesus Christ."

Chris, I was aware of perhaps using too much pedal. But I liked the ringing sound of the slightly disonant harmonies. It was by choice. Perhaps it was incorrect to do it. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa."

Post subject: Re: Satie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
Debussy was said to have told Satie that his music would be improved by more attention to the form. So Satie wrote a piano duet entitled "Three Pieces in the Form of a Pear."

Another example of his off-beat humor was his directions to performers:"Deep in thought,On the tip of the tongue, With Light Intimacy, Without Pride, Don't Go Out, Open Your Mind, Provide yourself with clear sightedness," etc.
Yes his directives are really silly and funny - probably half the reason he's so famous as the music does not really warrant it.

John Robson wrote:
I read somewhere that he started his own religion. I can't remember the long name of it, but it was about "Jesus Christ."

Now, that is rather funny :lol:

John Robson wrote:
Chris, I was aware of perhaps using too much pedal. But I liked the ringing sound of the slightly disonant harmonies. It was by choice. Perhaps it was incorrect to do it. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa."

It's a novelty. Perhaps it makes the piece more interesting, you could be right. I am not so much of a Satie expert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

And this one's up too !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Nice music making and it seems like you put your soul in your playing on both this Gymnopedie and the Gnossienne. Both are on the slow side and I would prefer it to be just a little faster but that is a matter of taste I guess.

But from having quite a personality and a bit odd behaviours, he was also charming and had a great sense of humour. He was without a former musical education and was for that reason many times looked down upon. But he found new paths in his music but as soon other composers began to immitate, he always changed path to something new.

Many composers took influence from Satie and there are links directly from him to several modern alive composers of today. If you have some time, read the extensive biography of Robert Caby on this site and listen to Caby's music. My friend in Sweden Niclas Fogwall is selling a CD by Caby off his site (the only of its kind since the right to this music have been given Fogwall) and I would recommend buying that if you like Satie.

Post subject: Robert Caby
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:53 pm 

Thanks for the information, Robert. I didn't know anything about Robert Caby. I'm listening to his piano pieces. The Kaleidophone definitely reminds me of the mood of some of Satie's music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:49 pm 

xxxxxxxx, Rob, nice music indeed.Could you tell me more/??? I know this music and heard few times when my last girl friends gave me..and I did not know who wrote it.....hey..nice taste.