All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Op.70, No.3
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:43 am 

A bit faster and less "timid".

Waltz Op.70 No.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Very accomplished, well done in terms of expression, rubato, and dynamics. Only thing that bothers me a bit is that in the middle section, the melody in the RH is almost inaudible, and drowned out by the LH (which is definitely not so in the other movements, where the balance is fine. So perhaps that is a choice you made ? I still think you can be a bit more assertive but there is not really anything to complain about here. I find the sound strangely muffled though, with some kind of buzz around it in places (not sure how to describe it properly but I am sure other will hear it too). Is this digital or acoustic ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:54 am 
Site Admin

I liked this a lot. And the in my opinion, the middle section was balanced correctly, since the left hand has the melody. At least I think so - I'm not looking at the score right now, so I don't know if something is missing in the right hand. Sounds good to me, anyway. Good job!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Op.70, No.3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:06 pm 

Thanks, Chris and Pianolady, for your suggestions. Not having a piano teacher, I take your criticisms very seriously. You help me more than you think.

As for the middle section LH being louder than the RH, I did it that way because someone had said they couldn't hear the LH melody loud enough. I guess I need to bring the RH out more.

As for the "muffled sound," I'm not sure why that happened. To be honest, I didn't even notice. I turned the pre-amp input volume down a little because I was afraid the sound was too harsh. Perhaps that caused a problem. Do you think it could?

I'm not even sure what you mean by "digital" sound. (I'm technologically impaired.) I'm playing a regular acoustic piano and am recording directly into my computer using one microphone and a pre-amp.

Thanks again for your help.
John

Post subject: Re: Op.70, No.3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
As for the middle section LH being louder than the RH, I did it that way because someone had said they couldn't hear the LH melody loud enough. I guess I need to bring the RH out more.

Hmm yes, could be the melody is in the LH. I don't know this waltz that well. Even so, the RH was all but inaudible sometimes and I am sure that can't be right.

John Robson wrote:
As for the "muffled sound," I'm not sure why that happened. To be honest, I didn't even notice. I turned the pre-amp input volume down a little because I was afraid the sound was too harsh. Perhaps that caused a problem. Do you think it could?

No idea... I am not familiar with a pre-amp setup. Generally, I thik input volume should be set as high as possible without causing clipping at loud passages (somebody will correct me if I am wrong). I heard some clipping in your Mozart Rondo which indicates that the input volume was certainly not too low in that case. That recording btw did not sound so muffled to me.

John Robson wrote:
I'm not even sure what you mean by "digital" sound. (I'm technologically impaired.) I'm playing a regular acoustic piano and am recording directly into my computer using one microphone and a pre-amp.

With 'digital' we basically mean an electronic piano or keyboard, or things like synthsizer/midi/sampled recording. Your setup is purely acoustic.

I can't properly explain what it is I hear in this recording. Do you not hear a sort of 'buzzing' halo around the notes ? Perhaps you have some interference from the pre-amp or soundcard because the input volume is too low (I did not hear this in the Mozart). My ears are known to be unreliable though :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
My ears are known to be unreliable though :lol:

Hahaha - It's the opposite (in case John doesn't know your reputation for having dog ears)

btw - I did not hear any buzzing sound.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

See the reply of your 70/1. Any reason you skip 70/2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:30 pm 

[quote="techneut"]Very accomplished, well done in terms of expression, rubato, and dynamics. Only thing that bothers me a bit is that in the middle section, the melody in the RH is almost inaudible, and drowned out by the LH (which is definitely not so in the other movements, where the balance is fine. So perhaps that is a choice you made ? I still think you can be a bit more assertive but there is not really anything to complain about here. I find the sound strangely muffled though, with some kind of buzz around it in places (not sure how to describe it properly but I am sure other will hear it too). Is this digital or acoustic ?[/quote]

Perhaps you are using the soft pedal? Or perhaps the piano is old and just needs voicing. I thought it was beautiful though. Very good control. Definitely does not sound digital to me. Are you using a grand (the soft pedal of the grand is different from the upright.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:40 pm 

[
[

I can't properly explain what it is I hear in this recording. Do you not hear a sort of 'buzzing' halo around the notes ? Perhaps you have some interference from the pre-amp or soundcard because the input volume is too low (I did not hear this in the Mozart). My ears are known to be unreliable though :lol:[/quote]

John, I agreed with Chris and further confrimed, the buzz sound -zzzi started at beginning at 0-4sec. and when you starts to play, you can hear a small pinging noise like a marble rattling on a metal plate..its diffiernt to the buzz sound but small rattling sound ..in the foreground ALL the way . And when you stopped playing at 3m 08. The buzz-zzziii sound is back again at 3.09-3.10 etc.

my suggestion is perhaps to do with your power source and check your microphones.

I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:28 am 

Sounds very good to me too interpretationwise! Yes, there is always the danger on soft played parts that some of the accompaigment notes get unaudible, what happened on places. I have the same problem, but would also avoid to play louder instead (just trying to control the pianissimo parts better).

The buzz comes maybe from a subject in the room what interfers with the piano sound and starts buzzing?