Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach - 2-part invention in F minor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

And another invention to the collection. Another 4 to go ;).

Bach - BWV 780, 2-part invention in F minor

Post subject: Nice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:35 am 

This is played very nicely. Technically speaking, this piece is done majesticly. No wrong notes as far as I could tell, although I don't know all the inventions too well...I should probably get on that...but if you did, one can't tell. I must say that the best thing about this piece, aside from its flawlessness is trill about halfway through the for the cadence...you show just a small hint of rubato, and it's perfect...it was my favorite part aside from the pretty much perfect performance. Awesome job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Thank you! Not much mistakes in there even though I half flubbed a key and went a little out of sync here and there. I know I do not make the ornaments as Bach intended them to be and should work on that but otherwise, I am pretty satisfied with this one. The sound is a bit harsh and that is probably due to the mics I use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:01 pm 

Well done, robert! I think too that the ornaments are very well done! Perhaps I would play it a little slower, but that's only my personal taste. This is really a nice performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:20 pm 

Very nice performance. I enjoyed it. Makes me want to learn all the 2 part inventions.

Did it take you long to go through most of them? I have learned some, but never tried to go through all of them. They seem excellent for both musical and technical development. They are also very pretty.

Stan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:52 am 
Site Admin

s_winitsky wrote:
Very nice performance. I enjoyed it. Makes me want to learn all the 2 part inventions.

Did it take you long to go through most of them? I have learned some, but never tried to go through all of them. They seem excellent for both musical and technical development. They are also very pretty.

Stan

I have trouble learning counterpoint pieces as they are much harder to memorise for me as I rely much on harmony in the learning process. So any piece take about a month no matter method I try but I only spend about 30 minutes on them per day (or sometimes even less). I learned the Ravel piece I just recorded on less time than this last invention. I think I began the recording process 8-9 months ago and had 2 inventions already in my repertoire. Done 11 so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:21 am 

That's very well played, also the trills. And your new grand sounds nice too. Does not sound harsh to me but maybe it would sound even better if you long for a lighter keytouch as "default".

robert wrote:
I have trouble learning counterpoint pieces as they are much harder to memorise for me as I rely much on harmony in the learning process.

I also tend to rely more on the harmony, but for Bach it seems to work better to try to track the different voices parallel while playing (so to memorize the voices instead harmony). Those inventions are really good pieces for getting better at this I think (in order to go for the 3 voice pieces later on with same approach). I also believe, this way (simultaneous tracking of the voices) it helps to phrase the different voices independently what would improve the interpretation further.