Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Fantasia Seriale #6
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:55 pm 
Hi! Here's my sixth "serial phantasy" composed with one dodecaphonic series, replicated with no sovrappositions, in all of four modes, freely trasposed in some of the twelve possibilities.
I try to make some "sweet, melodic music" with a way to compose usually considered aseptic and unmusical.
Happy listening (if you can....)
FFFF

P.S. I 've posted piano scores in the "composing" section. If isn't that the place to put it, make me know... :roll:

Post subject: Niiiiiiiiice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:45 am 

I love listening to melodic serial music. It's so hard to do, and when it's done right, it's very rewarding. As a composer, I know how much of a pain in the butt it can be to do that (I'm actually trying to do something similar, only more a 12 tone chorale with a string quartet), but you do it very well. I really enjoyed it...if you have a website with these posted or anything else you've written, please let me know..I'm always interested in hearing new piano compositions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:41 am 
Thanks for the appreciations!
Yes I know it's hard to do something of melodic with the dodecaphonic method, but in my experience (securely not only mine) I find that 90% of work is in the creation of the series.
After located it, anything goes (or almost...)

Well, I have a web site, but there is all kind of genres of music I compose, so not only classic piano, but also tardoromantic death metal, poliphonic psychedelia, agressive microtonalism... So...You're warned! :wink: )

Best regards,
Fabrizio Fulvio Fausto Fiale

http://fiale.135.it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:42 am 
Site Admin

That was interesting. This music is not my cup of tea so I can't say I liked it, but I did not dislike it. This piece is not 'over the top' and has some sweet spots here and there which I liked. But I am probably not smart enough to fully appreciate your compositions.

btw - I showed your video to my sons last night, and they said it was, "strange but cool."

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin

I am too a bit unused to listen to serial music or any music where the actual sound should be dominant over harmony (if the term harmony at all can be used in this music). I think you have two options; a) Listen to it as wave of sound which applies different emotions or b) Try to analyze the structure and patterns. You can do a) a couple of times but then, if structure and pattern is not found, it becomes rather uninteresting.

I still prefer a singing melody or a theme that is repeated as in any of the gold old forms as Nocturne A-B-A, waltz A-B-A-C-A (there are variations of waltzes of course) etc. while I like when the harmony within each pattern do not categories perfect into the usual major/minor dorian, melodic, harmonic, Lydian (Chopin use it all the time) etc.

Your composition was a good listening experience and it has a "nerve" that I like but I am not sure I would like a complete CD with similar music. But it is good to alternate style as that makes your mind more open for new influences.