The Piano Bench

Discuss all aspects of the piano and other keyboard instruments.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

The Piano Bench

Postby mikel » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:02 pm

I need some help. I have a Kimball artist's bench with a clever hydraulic mechanism for raising and lower it. Kimball, of course, is out of business. The hydraulic mechanism stopped working the other day--the bench just drops down to the bottom of its range with a clunk. I could live with this, but I'd rather not.

I talked to a friend who does lots of machine work, and he thinks it's fairly easily fixed, particularly if we can find anything resembling a service manual, a technical drawing, or anything that would show the parts needed. (He thinks it's most likely an O-ring that needs to be replaced, and that can be obtained at any auto parts shop.) I've just been looking online, though, and can't find a trace.

Any ideas? I'm willing to entertain suggestions for a replacement bench, but I'd prefer hints about repairing the mechanism or at least finding documentation.

I'd prefer not to join the legions of piano owners with broken benches, but I admit that until the other day, mine was one of the few artist's benches that actually worked right. So it may just be fated.
Mike Loukides

Postby juufa72 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:43 pm

Why dont you try to replace the specific part by taking (if it is the O-ring) to a hardware store or a store specializing in hydraulics / pneumatics. If not then there is always duct tape :lol:
Madam, what makes you think that I play with my hands?

Postby Anonymous » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:03 am

I hear Mr. Gould's piano bench is up for auction! :)

Postby Anonymous » Sun May 20, 2007 9:31 pm

another alternative: get a new ERGONOMIC piano bench see
there have been lots pf pianists loosing their back problems with this bench.

Return to “The Piano”