Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin Op.30 Mazurkas
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

Did not succeed this afternoon in completing the Op.30 set... :x The Op.30 No.2 took more time than expected (and still is not as good as I'd like it to be - ah well... it will have to do).

Chopin - Mazurka Op.30 No.1 in C minor
Chopin - Mazurka Op.30 No.2 in B minor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

You beat me to it. I’m working on the 30/2 too, but now I will not be ready with it anytime soon, because I didn’t know it goes that fast. Wow! Good job at that speed. The only thing that could be brought out more are the dynamics. I could hear them at the beginning – the p and f- but not on the crescendos, specifically measure 25 – you need to drop down to p so that you can build it up. Same goes for the one near the end.

30/1 – Measure 34 – the dotted half note g should be held and tied over through measure 35. Last two measures – hold the half note c over through the end. Maybe these are just differences in editions, again. Just small niggles – overall nice playing!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:53 am 

You did a really good job on those Mazurkas! Also expressionwise, you "say" something to get a distinct mood, different for both Mazurkas. I like your kind of subtile rubato for the phrasing parts. Regarding dynamics, you do also much more than in your first Mazurka recordings - still, the differences between loud and soft could be even more, especially on the soft side (to access the mellow tone color every piano has (depending of course also how hard the hammers are, how good the voicing condition is)).

Some minor observations for 30/1: In bars 20 and 46 there was no helping note (prenote? how is the term "Vorschlag" in english?), in bar 35 the first d in RH was unaudible, same for bar 51 e flat RH (don't say that's the recording tool :twisted: ). In my score (Henle Urtext) it's the same what Monica already mentioned regarding RH c holding last bar.

Good work also on 30/2. Some lh notes from bars 39 and 46 were unaudible, and a wrong note in second chord bar 56 (same notes as final chord, which you played correctly). I very much like your ending on 30/2 - short and powerful!

You do more and more expressionwise on these Chopin Mazurkas. Some of them are like emotional powder kegs to me, and I think one simply cannot apply too much expression on them. So still, you could do more on those sweet little jewels - that applies the same for me (maybe I record next time also one or two). Nevertheless - very good recordings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Monica and Olaf. Yes, there are some imperfections. Yes, one can always do more ...
Probably no need to take the 30.2 that fast (altough it does say Vivace). The slips here are mostly speed casualities :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

well, that explains it. My copy marks it allegretto.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Just listened to Rubinstein. The track is maked Vivace as well, but he takes 1:30 as opposed to my 1:00. I guess I am being unnecessarily hectic here and should really re-record it and perhaps get it right at a 'normal' speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:29 pm 

The French and English first editions had "Allegretto", the German and Fontana original script "Vivace". The Henle Urtext followed the German edition :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
Just listened to Rubinstein. The track is maked Vivace as well, but he takes 1:30 as opposed to my 1:00. I guess I am being unnecessarily hectic here and should really re-record it and perhaps get it right at a 'normal' speed.

I liked the speed in your recording and believe I have heard it this fast before. Rubinstein is allover the Chopin spectra a bit slower than other pianists (perhaps Michelangeli is even slower but he put perfection before music IMO) while for instance Murray Perahia is sometimes extremely fast. You recording feels right to me and the 30/1 is also very good. No need for re-takes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

The speed feels right to me too but it would be easier to get right at a more relaxed tempo. I find the fast Mazurkas (or rather the ones I think that need to go fast) extremely difficult as there is so much quirky detail and dynamic variation. The problems I have in 30.2 would probably not exist at Rubinstein speed - but admittedly that is a bit laid-back... I'll need to think about this :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
The speed feels right to me too but it would be easier to get right at a more relaxed tempo. I find the fast Mazurkas (or rather the ones I think that need to go fast) extremely difficult as there is so much quirky detail and dynamic variation. The problems I have in 30.2 would probably not exist at Rubinstein speed - but admittedly that is a bit laid-back... I'll need to think about this :?
The solution is named rubato ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
The solution is named rubato ;).

Ah, slow down when things get difficult. I should have thought of that :lol: