Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Clementi Sonata in D, Op 26 No 3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:01 pm 

Another Clementi, this one not as famous as Op 24 No 2, but not unknown either. I'm reasonably confident of the opus number since it's also used on YouTube by a few artists. (There has been some renumbering of Clementi opera during my life.)

5'10" Petroff lid all the way up; Zoom H2. Reverb Audacity 25% on fast mvmts, 30% on slow mvmt.

Clementi - Sonata in D Major, Op. 25, No. 6 - I: Presto
Clementi - Sonata in D Major, Op. 25, No. 6 - II: Un poco andante
Clementi - Sonata in D Major, Op. 25, No. 6 - III: Allegro assai

Post subject: Re: Clementi Sonata in D, Op 26 No 3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 pm 

Hi Stu,

Congratulations on this wonderfully played sonata! It's a remarkable rendition in my opinion. Your playing of this classical era music is marked by precision and evenness of execution. Also the phrasing, clean rhythms, contrast in touch between legato and nonlegato, skillful treatment of the ornaments, and judicious pedaling were all noteworthy. I could hear all of that without the benefit of the score. All of this made your playing not only accurate to a "t", but expressive and engaging too. You definitely put this piece across to the listener.

David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:02 am 
Site Admin

I know I've heard this sonata before but I couldn't find it in any of my books, or online. And that's because it is NOT op. 26 like what you thought, but instead it is Op. 25, No. 6. It took me a while to figure that out. Also, all the title names of the three movements were incorrect. If you looked at your other sonata on the main site, you would have seen that we usually name the movements by their tempo marking. Please watch this next time. I changed all your file names, and titles, and uploaded the files. But now I'm out of time, so I will update the site tomorrow.

Regarding your playing....I think over all the two outer movements could go a little bit faster, but you do a very fine job here. Sounds very nice!!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Nice sprightly playing ! I'd have wished for a bit fuller sound, then of course a modest pianoforte-like sounds suits this music well.
I did not hear the 3rd movement because this link points to the first mvt.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Oh sorry about that. I fixed it.
I haven't gotten these on the main site, yet, but I am working on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:33 pm 

Thanks, David and Chris.

Monica, looks like you're right about the opus number. All but one of the recordings of this on YouTube (5 or 6), call it opus 26 number 3, as does the score that I downloaded from IMSLP. (Ironically, even the score that they provide for "Opus 25 Number 6" calls it opus 26 no 3 - which is probably where the misunderstanding originated.) But the professional recordings (e.g., Hyperion) agree that it is opus 25 no 6 and one expects them to have researched this thoroughly. I think I'm going to steer clear of Clementi for a while; once I get a piece of music that gives a catalog number it does not occur to me to find out what the real catalog number is.

I'm sorry about the titles. I made the grievous error of using, as a template, my own recordings as I saved them on my PC, instead of as they were stored on the site. Of course, this is a good way to perpetuate errors and I'll correct them by downloading this sonata and using it in the future.

As for tempi, :cry: , that's about as fast as I can do these without flubs, and I did many takes of these before getting ones that I liked. If it was live, I might try to perk it up a little; the pieces go by so fast I doubt the slip-ups would register with the audience.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:17 am 
Site Admin

That's okay....I probably can't play it any faster either. Your version here sounds very nice! It's now on the site.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:55 am 

Hi Stu,

Your performance has beautiful tone.
The clarity, eveness and expression throughout are truly excellent.

The first movement sounds Beethovenish, the second
a bit like Mozart and the third likeĀ a combination of Haydn
and Clementi.

Thank you for posting.

Kaila

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:05 pm 

Thanks, Kaila. I sweat bullets over material like Clementi or Haydn; it's so exposed. That piece took a lot of practice.