Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Tchaikovsky - Impromptu, Opus 72 No 1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:29 am 

Finally, another entry in the Opus 72 ("Eighteen Pieces for Piano"). This one was especially fun to learn.
Petroff 5'10", lid up, Zoom H2 record and mic, Audacity reverb on 25% with the other settings default.
Of course, comments are always welcome. I encourage others to check out this opus; it's full of wonders and the deeper I get into it the more I like it.

Just got the piano tuned and repaired and hope to have a few more recordings soon.

Tchaikovsky - Op. 72, No. 1 "Impromptu"

Post subject: Re: Tchaikovsky - Impromptu, Opus 72 No 1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

That was very nice, Stu! Seems like this set was made for you - I can tell you enjoy playing it. I will try to put it up on the site tonight. One little thing - I hear a click right before the very last note/chord...like an editing click. Am I hearing correctly? Anyway, I liked this piece too. Especially that one spot near the end where it sounds like growling. Neato!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Your dedication to and perseverance with this set is exemplary. Tchaikovsky's piano music is often sniffed at and dismissed as minor salon stuff but there is much more to it, from big-boned virtuoso horses to exquisite miniatures. This set has it all and more. Never having seriously
practiced No. 1, I've always found it fairly difficult. I think you take it very leisurely, which makes good sense but it loses some of the drive and impetus that way. The middle section, very hard with its wide Campanella-like jumps seems to wilt a little. But it is clean, characterful and concise playing, and convincing despite my reservations about the cautious tempi. I did not hear a note out of place. Well done !

Do you intend to complete the set eventually ? The Polacca and Scherzo are real bastards, and IMO too long for their musical content.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:11 pm 

Monica - thanks. Yes, that's an editing click. The 'take' was by far the best I had until the very last chord, when the top note did not sound. I counted to 2 and then repeated it correctly and then did the edit. Through my speakers I don't hear a click, but I'm not surprised you caught it. There was something about the waveform of the repeat that did not match what had happened, and it was the best I could do. (This is only the 2nd time I've tried something like that.)

Chris - thanks to you, too. Playing it faster would have easily added a day of recording, and quite frankly I could not be sure I would ever get a good take. The rest of the opus looks very daunting, particularly to an out-of-shape senior like myself, but I am going to attempt it. When I finish my current batch I'll try another 3 of them for my next tuning. Hopefully I'll even have time in my life to re-record a couple of them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:20 am 
Site Admin

Ok, Stewart, this is up.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:00 am 

Hi Stu,

I enjoyed listening to your Tchaikovsky impromptu. Your clean articulation, staccato technique, and precision notes are all to be admired, along with a cohesiveness you established throughout. I had never heard this piece before.

Like you, I always do full takes. Old habits are hard to break.

Keep on playing!

David

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:19 pm 

Thanks, David.
As far as "full takes" are concerned, I have a feeling that they will display more consistency than a paste-up. However, I'm more than willing to consider edits after, say, 15 takes! But this requires skill, confidence, and experience, so I've done it only twice.

I now realize the big problem is that I'm doing it through speakers and not headphones, so I do not pick up the 'clicks'. I'll have to change this in the future; I usually have the headphones out anyway because it's the only way I can hear the takes right off the digital recorder. Being old-fashioned is not always helpful when dealing with new technologies!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:12 pm 

Hi Stu,

What a nice piece and performance.

The piano has a gorgeous sound and your tone
is beautiful. You present a nice spirit throughout.

Kaila