Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Larrard - 5 waltzes for piano (one per week)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04 pm 

Dear All,
It is my pleasure to present a recording of these pieces, composed in 2010-2011.

I have liked waltzes for long, as much in classical music as in jazz. I find the 3/4 measure inspiring, the chords change more often than in 4/4, and the possibility of dividing 3 beats in 2+1 or 1+2 or 1.5+1.5 opens room for exciting rythmic effects. I have composed a number of jazz themes in 3/4, but this is the first time I make fully composed pieces of that kind. In this series, I tried to change the concept for each one, while keeping a sense of suite. However, the pieces can be played individually. Here is the link to download the score from my personal site:

http://francoisdelarrard.chez-alice.fr/ ... _piano.pdf

Since I know that many PS fellows are reluctant to listen too many pieces in the same post, I will post a waltz per week until the end of the series.

Thanks for listening and commenting !

No.1 starts in Cmajor but modulations come quickly. The general structure is A-A-B-A'. A is made of a right hand (RH) melody accompanied by the left hand (LH) playing a bass and a chord. B is written with one voice at each hand. Finally, A' is a reminiscence of the beginning theme, with a different modulation and a shorter length.

Larrard - Valse No.1 pour piano (2:11)
Larrard - Valse No.2 pour piano (1:41)
Larrard - Valse No.3 pour piano (2:42)
Larrard - Valse No.4 pour piano (7:01)
Larrard - Valse No.5 pour piano (1:15)

Post subject: Re: Larrard - 5 waltzes for piano (one per week)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

A cute little piece Francois. It starts off a bit reminiscent of Poulenc. Then the modulations start to get more adventurous (to my ears, at times a little contrived but that may be personal taste).

I think BTW that we can cope with 5 small pieces in one post. Certainly if these are meant to be put on the site then I'd just as soon have them all together and be done with the updating.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:34 pm 

Hello Chris,
Thanks for your appreciation. As for the upload, I will wait until the end of the serial. If you like, I will repost the 5 ones in a single shot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:12 pm 

Very charming, somehow the simple melody sticks in my mind. And thanks for posting the sheet music. Judging from that I'd do it with less pedal to bring out the staccatos and the phrase endings (eg to make m2 and m3 different since the latter ends with a rest) - but I concede you are the expert here!

Joachim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:55 pm 

troglodyte wrote:
Very charming, somehow the simple melody sticks in my mind. And thanks for posting the sheet music. Judging from that I'd do it with less pedal to bring out the staccatos and the phrase endings (eg to make m2 and m3 different since the latter ends with a rest) - but I concede you are the expert here!

Joachim

Hello Joachim,
Thanks for your compliment. You're right, I may have played differently from what is on the score at some places... Hope other pianists, if any, will be more rigorous!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:49 pm 

No.2 has a completely different structure. It is made up with 4 superimposed themes, played at different places of the tessiture. The various themes are introduced one after each other, providing a fugue feeling (although all themes are different). In the central part of the piece, each theme is recalled, being exposed with a waltz voicing. Then the third part comes, as a reflect of the first one (starting with 4 voices and ending with a single one). The harmonic structure is cyclic (but with a shift after each cycle), with a period of five measures. The results sounds a little like some Shostakovich pieces (not intentional, but more the result of our common reference to Bach !).

Thanks for listening and commenting!

Larrard - Valse No.2 pour piano (1:41)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:01 am 

Very nice. I have listened to the first and will be listening to the others. Isn't it interesting that so few waltzes have 3-bar phrases? Seems like you're doing quite a bit of playing around with 3-ness in all the waltzes, from a glance at the score :)
Just a notation question: many times in the first waltz there is an eighth note followed by two sixteenths, which you mostly play as a dotted sixteenth followed by two thirty-seconds (and compare to the 16th-note grace notes, which you play as 16ths). Do you have a preference or is this open to interpretation?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:41 am 

hreichgott wrote:
Very nice. I have listened to the first and will be listening to the others. Isn't it interesting that so few waltzes have 3-bar phrases? Seems like you're doing quite a bit of playing around with 3-ness in all the waltzes, from a glance at the score :)
Just a notation question: many times in the first waltz there is an eighth note followed by two sixteenths, which you mostly play as a dotted sixteenth followed by two thirty-seconds (and compare to the 16th-note grace notes, which you play as 16ths). Do you have a preference or is this open to interpretation?

Hello Heather,
Thank you very much for your kind words and your interest for this music. Yes, you make me realise that I often thinks my musical sentences over three bars of three beats. Even, sometimes, I use triplets, therefore the 3 number is sticking very much to my brain :D
Regarding your query, I'm not sure to understand what you mean. I think I play the melody as written, at least in the No.1. But I could probably accept slightly different rythmic execution, provided it preserves the general motion and it is musical, of course !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 pm 

Hello everybody,
Those few words to tell you that I have updated the score of my waltzes. I added a number of dynamics indications, some slurs and I changed two or three notes. I am attaching the new version. Thanks,

Attachments:
File comment: New score - 5 waltzes for piano
5_valses_pour_piano.pdf [961.31 KiB]
Downloaded 48 times

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:08 am 

Hello everybody,
I am late in delivering the No. 3. Here it is. Thanks for your attention !

No.3 is a kind of study for the RH. It is a succession of ups and downs, supported by a bass played by the LH, as in Chopin's 1st study op. 10 (I'm not claiming it has the same merit, of course...).

Larrard - Valse No.3 pour piano (2:42)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:10 am 

No.4 (the longest one) is a theme with variations. The theme can be compared to the one of No.1, but it is more developed. A first variation emphasizes the RH, then it is the turn of LH. In the third one, I used an 'alternate' arpeggios structure between the two hands. The piece ends by a small recitative (RH alone) followed by a coda quoting the beginning of the theme.
Thanks for listening and commenting.

Larrard - Valse No.4 pour piano (7:01)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Francois, I listened to your first waltz and parts of all the others. They are interesting music! At first I thought of Kabalevsky, then Shostakovich, then Bartok, then Mompou, etc.....then I realized that I can't quite pin down what your music reminds me of so that means you have your own distinct sound, which is good! :)

I can get to work putting these up over the weekend. But first, the number 4 waltz shows that it's number3 in the title. Can you please clarify that so I don't screw something up?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:51 pm 

I now also listened to no 2-4 and quite liked no 4, it has a nice dream-like quality. For some reason I do not connect as well with no 2 and 3. I look forward to no 5!

Joachim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:59 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Hi Francois, I listened to your first waltz and parts of all the others. They are interesting music! At first I thought of Kabalevsky, then Shostakovich, then Bartok, then Mompou, etc.....then I realized that I can't quite pin down what your music reminds me of so that means you have your own distinct sound, which is good! :)

I can get to work putting these up over the weekend. But first, the number 4 waltz shows that it's number3 in the title. Can you please clarify that so I don't screw something up?

Monica,
Thank you so much for your kind compliment ! At least my pieces seem to sound like XXth century music, even if they have been composed the century after (but still at the begining...). Thank you also for your offer to upload them. Actually, Chris wanted to do so at the first one, and I suggested to wait for the 'publication' of the last one (which will happen next week-end). I will resubmit the whole set just to facilitate your work, you dedicated administrators ! BTW I will fix this matter of No.3 vs. No.4.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:02 pm 

troglodyte wrote:
I now also listened to no 2-4 and quite liked no 4, it has a nice dream-like quality. For some reason I do not connect as well with no 2 and 3. I look forward to no 5!

Joachim

Thanks Joachim ! Well, No. 3 is not my preferred too, but I like the second one. It may require several listenings to be better understood, since its structure is quite original, I think. Maybe it is too much intellectual, though... I hope you'll like the last one which is quite energetic and sarcastic.