Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: To God Be the Glory - Doane
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 692
Location: Carbondale, IL
Here is a hymn that I picked out of the Presbyterian Hymnal, "To God Be the Glory." The music is by William Doane, and the lyrics by Fanny Crosby. It was penned in 1875. This was played only on manual, I'll have to save my money to get a midi pedalboard :cry:

Attachment:
doane-togodbetheglory-tucker.MP3 [1.33 MiB]
Downloaded 95 times

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To God Be the Glory - Doane
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:58 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9581
Location: Netherlands
I like hymns :) This is a nice cheerful tune. Well played if on the fast side, I don't think a congregation could sing along with this. It comes across as more of a march now. Good steady tempo though.
You know I'm all for of playing organ music a little detached, but I think you went rather over the top with that. The notes are too far apart now, making it sound a bit caricatural.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To God Be the Glory - Doane
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 692
Location: Carbondale, IL
Quote:
I like hymns :)


That makes sense, you being a church organist!

Quote:
Well played if on the fast side, I don't think a congregation could sing along with this. It comes across as more of a march now. Good steady tempo though.


Thanks. A professional pianist played this hymn as the opening hymn at my cousins wedding in 2012. As I recall it was about this speed. At the church I'm at now, our director/organist usually plays hymns slightly faster than written. Maybe that is rubbing off here. When the lyrics get complex, most of the words are shaved off like "power" becomes "pow'r" and "blessed" becomes "bles'd" :shock:

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To God Be the Glory - Doane
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:15 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9581
Location: Netherlands
pianoman342 wrote:
That makes sense, you being a church organist!

No more, alas....

pianoman342 wrote:
Thanks. A professional pianist played this hymn as the opening hymn at my cousins wedding in 2012. As I recall it was about this speed. At the church I'm at now, our director/organist usually plays hymns slightly faster than written. Maybe that is rubbing off here. When the lyrics get complex, most of the words are shaved off like "power" becomes "pow'r" and "blessed" becomes "bles'd" :shock:

Indeed, music in modern churches tends to be played livelier now than it used to, and it's what people want. I was repeatedly taken to task for playing things too slow. Although then when I did otherwise they would not follow and drag behind. So one can't really win there :D

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To God Be the Glory - Doane
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:16 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8518
That was nice, Riley! Sounds like a real organ! This is in my Methodist hymnal too. One of the ones my sister, dad, mom and I like to belt out when we're in church.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To God Be the Glory - Doane
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 692
Location: Carbondale, IL
Quote:
No more, alas....


That's a shame. I assume you moving house had something to do with it?

Quote:
That was nice, Riley! Sounds like a real organ! This is in my Methodist hymnal too. One of the ones my sister, dad, mom and I like to belt out when we're in church.


Thanks Monica. Belting out hymns, that sounds painful, the congregation gets a whiplash? :lol:

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To God Be the Glory - Doane
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:59 am
Posts: 268
techneut wrote:
they would not follow and drag behind.

Congregations everywhere do that, at any tempo :)

I remember my first time accompanying a congregation -- I was around 13 and it was a youth Sunday or some such thing -- and the regular organist pulled me aside to inform me with great severity and urgency that I could not under any circumstances try to follow the congregation, any congregation, anywhere ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To God Be the Glory - Doane
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:38 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9581
Location: Netherlands
pianoman342 wrote:
That's a shame. I assume you moving house had something to do with it?
Yes that was the reason. I may well find something else here. I'm not sure I would want to do services again, but I do miss playing organ.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To God Be the Glory - Doane
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 692
Location: Carbondale, IL
Quote:
I remember my first time accompanying a congregation -- I was around 13 and it was a youth Sunday or some such thing -- and the regular organist pulled me aside to inform me with great severity and urgency that I could not under any circumstances try to follow the congregation, any congregation, anywhere ever.


:lol:

Quote:
Yes that was the reason. I may well find something else here. I'm not sure I would want to do services again, but I do miss playing organ.


I see, good luck. Honestly after hearing an excellent organ for the last 6 months, I hate to say it, but piano just doesn't sound as good to me. Piano is good, but organ is clearly the best. There's a wonderful piece by Karg-Elert that kind of switched me on organ.

_________________
"I don't know what music is, but I know it when I hear it." - Alan Schuyler
Riley Tucker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To God Be the Glory - Doane
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:59 am
Posts: 268
And I don't really enjoy the organ as much as piano.... I feel too disconnected from the process of producing the sound.
Riley, maybe you need to go play a lot more organ :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group