Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin - a couple mazurkas
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Just a small offering today. These are two mazurkas I needed to redo, so I did that this afternoon. They are still not perfect, but I think they are better than my original recordings.

Chopin - Mazurka in F-sharp minor, Op. 6, no. 1

Chopin - Mazurka in E minor, Op.17, no.2

Anyway, Happy New Year, Everybody! I hope the new year brings much health and happiness to you and your loved ones!! :D

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject: Re: Chopin - a couple mazurkas
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:58 pm 

I'm not familiar with your first recordings of these, but these are fine. The mazurkas are really difficult. Hard to get that 'snap' but not overdo it. I'm not familiar with the e-minor and could not venture a comment anyway.

I thought the pianism was a little better in the first of the two, but the recording (mic placement, editing, etc.) was better in the second. More resonance. Did you treat the e-minor recording differently? Where were your mics for these? Am I being too nosy?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

StuKautsch wrote:
I thought the pianism was a little better in the first of the two, but the recording (mic placement, editing, etc.) was better in the second. More resonance. Did you treat the e-minor recording differently? Where were your mics for these? Am I being too nosy?

I recorded these two back-to-back....recorder stayed in the same exact place, same input level, same volume adjustment, same reverb, etc... I place the recorder on a tripod about a couple feet away from the curve of the piano and up about two feet pointing into the piano. The lid of the piano bounces the sound right into the mics. To be honest, I am not crazy about either of these two mazurkas, but I had to get better recordings up here on the site. Maybe the first one sounds more 'pianistic' because I used the soft pedal quite a lot. Anyway, thanks for listening, Stu! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Adequate and clean renditions both. Just wondering about the execution of the apoggiaturas in Op.6 No.1, they seem a bit ragged and the D sharps should be D naturals - unless this is some new edition with new insights ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Those 2 1/2 lines with the appogiaturas are sometimes hard for me to pull off, but I'm trying to make them sound 'scherzando' as per the marking in my book. I don't know what d-sharps you mean. That's okay you don't have to tell me. I'm pretty happy with this version. For now, anyway....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:49 pm 

Had a listen to your two mazurkas here, the e minor I can't compare but I have your older recording of the f sharp minor, but this re-recording to my ears is a trifle more crisp. My friend played this in my piano class but he only played this one, apparently the mazurkas get harder as you go on? I guess he was chicken ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for listening, Riley. I had to redo 6/1 because on my first version I did something weird with one of the grace notes--I played it on the beat rather than before the beat like I should have done. It's been bugging me for years now. Other than that it's about the same. However, it turns out I was incorrect about the D-sharp thing so I fixed that with a 3rd redo.

The mazurkas do not get harder as they go. Easier and difficult ones are scattered about. But really they are all hard. Unless you just sit there playing and don't care about phrasing, how hard certain notes come down, pedaling, rhythm, that sort of thing. Then they are easy! :wink: