Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:24 am 

Hello. First time posting here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7P2p0u2Qgo

Also attached the audio file - same as in the video.

I'm happy to hear suggestions.

Thanks for listening and hope some of you may enjoy it as well.

Noam

Attachments:
chopin-66-4-benhamou.mp3 [6.68 MiB]
Downloaded 61 times

Last edited by noambenhamou on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:30 pm 

Fine. Really good.
The transition from the first section to the second feels a little rushed. An audience might want things to calm down a little more.

I listened to the mp3 file through speakers. The recording did not have glitches, but there are no tags. The administrators will point you to the entry on the forum that explains those.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Noam, and welcome to Piano Society! :)

Nice performance! Too bad one of the descending arpeggios got a little wacky, but overall a good job.

Since you are not a member yet, you probably didn't know that we have tag and title naming standards. If you wish to become a member here, we ask that you submit three recent recordings of various classical music styles. And then you'll need this information on naming:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5114

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:22 pm 

Very well played with great drama and conviction! Excellent use of dynamics. Thanks for posting.

Joachim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:41 am 

Solid & controlled but if I may humbly share with you my thoughts as to how I would approach it from here?

I feel there is much more to discover in the left hand, especially in the bass line. Although the bass notes are prominent, especially in the build to the big climax, shape is needed. Often the left hand, especially in the middle section, is just churning out arpeggios like a wind-up toy. After each bass note, the rest of the chord, I feel, needs to be a lot softer throughout the whole piece.

Turn the metronome off! There are so many places where a breathe is needed, especially in the middle section, and general elasticity too. It's great that you don't play this section too slow like you often hear. Some nice shape in the melody there too.

In the middle section in particular, I feel, there needs to be greater interest. There is shape and it is nice, but I think when we play a repeated phrase or section we need to do something different. Surprise the listener. The whole performance, for me, was so clinical - take a risk! Also in this middle section in particular, the beat is still in minims - but I hear crotchets. Although many editions say common time, the left hand arpeggios and right hand phrases make it clear that the pulse is felt in minims. The left hand thumb is the main culprit - the accented thumb shifts the pulse to crotchets instead of minims. Right around 2:20 it's most obvious. There is one particular accent with the thumb right before the A flat octave in the right hand at 2:30 - it's the end of the phrase!

I'm getting carried away here! I hope you don't take any offence to my thoughts. I offer them humbly and with respect, and without any intention to appear as though I think know better. After all, there is an endless number of ways of interpreting a work. You know Kissin does a superb live performance...search youtube...so transparent, so colourful. But he too accents the thumb sometimes in the middle section but the right hand counters that with often whole bar breaths if not minim breaths.

That's no easy piece. Well done!
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:25 am 

Thank you Steve so much.

I don't take any offense to detailed criticism. That's why I post it here.

You are very correct, in the A sections I need to let go of the focus in the rh and multitask a bit and make music from the left as well. I understand what you are saying. The base of the LH has wonderful melody and the rest needs to be texture. I failed this.

In the B section I think I am a bit rushed and I need to be more liberal with the tempo and be careful of that thumb like you said.
I should be able to correct this tomorrow while I practice :)
thank you again.
Noam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:52 am 

I'm glad my thoughts could be of some use. But don't say you 'failed' at something! Could be better, that's all :) Sometimes we just need someone to act as a mirror. It's not a question of skill but of awareness. I'm confident that you have all the ability to take it to a finer level.
:)