Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Ernesto Halffter - Danza de la Pastora
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

This popular Danze de la Pastora by Ernesto Halffter comes from his ballet "Sonatina" (strange name for a ballet IYAM...)
I created a video also. I'm not at all satisfied seeing my mug on YT - I think I need a face lift and brow correction at the least.
Even less satisfied with the performance. Despite this piece being simple and repetitive (which is the only reason I know it by heart) it is
a bastard to bring off well. I seem to have been practicing it forever now and am still nowhere near perfection. I think I'll have to redo it... groan..... some things never end.

Edit: redone today, nov 17, 2013. It's a lot better now.

E.Halffter - Danza de la Pastora (from the ballet "Sonatina") (4:54)

And a new video: http://youtu.be/wQfkCMVY9C8

Post subject: Re: Ernesto Halffter - Danza de la Pastora
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:22 am 
Site Admin

Boy, you sure have been busy this weekend! (this from someone who said he wishes he had more time to record....)
Anyway, I don't know this piece. You're right in that it is very repetitive. But I think this is the first time I've seen you play by memory!

Regarding the video..the sound is a little funny. There is a swimmy/swirling sound in the background. Most noticeable in the very beginning just before you start to play. I'm not totally sure if it's just my headphones, though. Could be Youtube sound quality isn't optimal either.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:44 am 

Hi Chris,

This Halffter piece certainly sounds very kinetic. I think you make the most of it and play it with drive (even as I hear it for the first time). There is considerable repetition in this music. Had the composer introduced some contrast within it, it would have enriched it in my opinion.

I'm agog at all your recordings recently. You've been busy!

David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks both for the comment !

pianolady wrote:
Boy, you sure have been busy this weekend! (this from someone who said he wishes he had more time to record....)

Well, the big jobs for this year are done, the days are getting shorter, and the weather often too bad to even go out. Time at last to record some of the pile of things I've been working on the last half year.

pianolady wrote:
Anyway, I don't know this piece. You're right in that it is very repetitive. But I think this is the first time I've seen you play by memory!
A simple piece like this just seeps into muscle memory after sufficient repetition. I don't think I will pull this off more often. It's nice not to have to look at the score but I can't say it helped my accuracy here. And then there's the companion piece Danza de la Gitana

pianolady wrote:
Regarding the video..the sound is a little funny. There is a swimmy/swirling sound in the background. Most noticeable in the very beginning just before you start to play. I'm not totally sure if it's just my headphones, though. Could be Youtube sound quality isn't optimal either.
Not sure what supersonic extraterrestrial noise you're hearing this time. Could well be kitchen or bathroom sound. Our house is very compact.

RachFan wrote:
This Halffter piece certainly sounds very kinetic. I think you make the most of it and play it with drive (even as I hear it for the first time). There is considerable repetition in this music. Had the composer introduced some contrast within it, it would have enriched it in my opinion.
Indeed so. Maybe it is up to the performer to make some variation in the repeats, as is done in baroque music. Although I have not heard any pianist do that. Maybe it would not be much the worse for leaving out the repeats.

RachFan wrote:
I'm agog at all your recordings recently. You've been busy!
I'm always busy, but tend to save up for a long time and then record a lot of stuff in a short time. Not sure if this is the most efficient way of working... I think I will record another bunch of pieces coming weekend when I'm home alone :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe I didn't explain right. It's not a background noise, but a file noise. I don't know what you call that. Interference maybe? It was pretty prominent when I listened last night, but could just be Youtube.
Also, nobody likes the way they look on videos. I hate it!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Maybe I didn't explain right. It's not a background noise, but a file noise. I don't know what you call that. Interference maybe? It was pretty prominent when I listened last night, but could just be Youtube.
Can't say that I hear anything unusual. But there's lots that I do not hear.

pianolady wrote:
Also, nobody likes the way they look on videos. I hate it!
Same here. Actually I hate this performance too, despite all hard work and good intentions. I'm going to listen to AdL again and weep with envy...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Had another go at this piece today. Still not spit-polish perfect, but a LOT better than it was.

E.Halffter - Danza de la Pastora (from the ballet "Sonatina") (4:54)

And a new video: http://youtu.be/wQfkCMVY9C8