Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

These is a rerecording of my earlier effort of a couple of years ago, which was pretty mediocre in every respect. This new version I believe makes a convincing case for Sibelius's neglected piano music. This is one of his nicest sets, which while not exactly world-shattering piano fare, deserves to be heard.

Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114 - 1. Maisema (Landscape) (2:24)
Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114 - 2. Talvikuva (Winter Scene) (2:46)
Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114 - 3. Metsalampi (Forest Lake) (1:58)
Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114 - 4. Metsalaulu (Song in the Forest) (2:04)
Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114 - 5. Kevatnaky (Spring Vision) (2:07)

Post subject: Re: Sibelius - Five sketches Op.114
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:49 am 
Site Admin

A little coincidence--I was recently playing through some Sivelius too. His Pensées Lyriques set, which I think has some nice pieces in it.
Anyway, I don't know this set at all and didn't look at a score, so I just listened. It all sounds confidently played. I liked the fourth one best, except for that obtrusive page turn in the middle. Where is David? He should razz you about that... :wink:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
A little coincidence--I was recently playing through some Sivelius too. His Pensées Lyriques set, which I think has some nice pieces in it.
By all means do, it's a bit lonely out there :)

pianolady wrote:
I liked the fourth one best, except for that obtrusive page turn in the middle. Where is David? He should razz you about that... :wink:
I doubt David would hear it. I did not hear it myself until I turned the volume right up. I thought I'd done it so quietly as not to be audible, but even quietly turning a page makes too much noise. I suppose I can cut it out easily - that long 2-bar bass note is too short already and a split second less won't make much difference.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:41 pm 

Yes, Sibelius is different! One of the first sets I heard on this site some years ago was the Sibelius suite in which each movement is a different tree. (If memory serves me right.) I ran right out and bought a copy (this was in the years when Pedelsen's was still open in NYC.)

I like this suite, and #4 especially, just like Monica. I did not hear a page turn through speakers at a volume that I can stand listening to. I don't remember your first recording of this; but this one sounds fine.

P.S. I just noticed that the "5 pieces" recording was yours. I really liked that one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

StuKautsch wrote:
I like this suite, and #4 especially, just like Monica. I did not hear a page turn through speakers at a volume that I can stand listening to. I don't remember your first recording of this; but this one sounds fine.

Thanks Stu. You would not hear the page turn because I've fixed it - just re-recorded those two bars and pasted them in. Now to wait if anybody (read: Monica) can hear the join :P

StuKautsch wrote:
P.S. I just noticed that the "5 pieces" recording was yours. I really liked that one.
I think that set is his finest effort. It is a re-recording also. I wonder if I should redo it again, the sound quality seems not optimal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:27 pm 

Hi Chris,

For a late romantic, mostly orchestral composer, Sibelius wrote a surprising amount of piano music. These sketches offer many chromatic colors in the playing. I liked how you layered the music to highlight what was most important to the composer and listener. Although I'm unfamiliar with this set, I believe that you played them all with confidence and put them across well to the listener. Ah, about that page turn in No. 4 at 1:18, it wasn't too pronounced. I could hear it with headphones and the sound volume dial set at 12:00. It's not bad though. Mine are usually called something like "the hideous page turn" or similar. :lol: :lol: :lol: Right now I'm working on a three-pager, and the page turn occurs at an unfortunate moment. The score might not fit 8 1/2" X 11" format. When I go to my copier, I'm going to see if there is a reduction feature for fitting the pages into that format--maybe, maybe not. If I cannot mitigate it, I'll try to keep it as quiet as I can. :wink:

David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks David. I've gotten rid of that page turn since, even though it was quite unobtrusive.

Would you not consider repeating a few bars around the page turn and then cut it out in an audio editor ? You'd only have to
memorize the last few bars before the page turn, and then play these after you've turned the page. I can do that edit for you if
you wish (if it would not compromise your old-school standards, that is :P )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:30 pm 

Hi Chris,

There is a quarter rest in the right hand on the following page which I haven't exploited the way I should. If I get slick, I might just be able to complete the turn on that rest to maintain the flow. I'll see if that might be the "old school" answer in this case. I do appreciate your offer to do an edit. I'll let you know how it works out.

David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:27 pm 

Nice to hear these pieces, of which I was previously unaware. They don't especially grab me (I think no.4 comes across best) but in places the harmonic language is interestingly ambiguous. He doesn't strike me as a natural piano composer but I think you do well with the material.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Andrew. It is well known that Sibelius wrote most of his many piano pieces simply to pay the bills. A natural piano composer indeed he was not.
Inspiration does not always run high, but some of his pieces are real charming, while others are shot through with glimpses of the 'real' Sibelius, rugged, enigmatic and headstrong.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:57 pm 

Well played! Thanks for bringing some Nordic gloom here. Perhaps I should play more Sibelius but his piano music never got under my skin (though I adore his later symphonies). The only thing I ever played is the Romance op 24:9.

I appreciate you did the full set, it is much more meaningful to listen to all of them in one go. And the final one projects more confident hopes, so it has to be my favourite!

Joachim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

troglodyte wrote:
Thanks for bringing some Nordic gloom here.

Haha, I bet that is just what you needed in sunny sweltering south Sweden :D

Thank you for the feedback, anyway. I love his late symphonies too, although IMHO the early works are not to be sniffed at either (Kullervo, Karelia Suite, Symphonies 1 and 2). His piano music is getting a little more recognition these days.