Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Schumann - "Des Abends", Fantasiestucke Op. 12 no. 1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:10 pm 

The first of a complete set. I performed the first five pieces from Op. 12 in October and am now learning the rest. (Oddly, the Epilogue is most difficult for me to understand and enjoy, and it is one of the easier pieces in the set, but I do plan to record all of them for pianosociety.)

Recorded in one take on the best piano currently available to me for free, a freshly tuned Steinway baby grand in a small practice room. I also recorded a rather messy Aufschwung but would rather not post that particular performance :)

I recall that last time I submitted recordings there was an issue with the tags on the mp3 -- my software creates tags in a different version, or something, than the site is set up to handle. I do not know that that issue was ever resolved. If it is still an issue with this file does anyone have suggestions as to how to proceed?

Schumann - Fantasiestucke Op. 12 no. 1, "Des Abends"

Post subject: Re: Schumann - "Des Abends", Fantasiestucke Op. 12 no. 1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

That was lovely, Heather!

Regarding the tags. I just downloaded the file but there are no tags at all. Seems like it's still an issue with your files, but I don't know why. I could put this up on the site right now, but let's see if we can get some help from the others first. One thing I noticed, the file has a bit rate of 128. You will get a better quality if you use 198. That's what most of us do.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:49 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Regarding the tags. I just downloaded the file but there are no tags at all.
Oh yes there are.
Quote:
Seems like it's still an issue with your files, but I don't know why.
It's because Heather's files use version 2.4 of ID3 and whatever you're using to look at them with apparently only understands up to version 2.3.

If Heather's software can't be configured to generate its output as 2.3, and PS software can't easily be upgraded to 2.4, it should be possible to post-process the files, automatically converting the ID3 header from v2.4 to v2.3, leaving the actual MP3 data unchanged. It's not difficult; I actually looked into doing this ages ago, but got side-tracked. If there's interest I could resurrect the project.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for your reply, Rainer. I am not computer-savvy enough to know how to convert ID3 headers. I'm sure I can be taught, though. Still, we want our members to do all the tagging/converting themselves, thereby lessening the time we admins have to spend on processing and updating the site. So if this is something that individuals can do on their own computer before they submit recordings, then I'm all for it! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:59 am 

How about this one?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Yes that one is ok.
It seems that Windows and WMP can't handle ID3V2.4 headers. iTunes has no problem with it though.
I use id3lib on my PC as well as the PS server to work with the tags. It's the latest versio 3.8.3, which postdates ID3V2.4 but
nonetheless does not seem to support it (or else I'm doing something wrong). I can't work out whether or not i3lib is supposed to support
this latest format or not.
Actually Heather's latest file now shows the tags in Windows, the tags are 2.3, but on the server it still shows no tags. Other mp3's
with 2.3 tags do show them. Go figure. . . This tag business drives me nuts over the years.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:58 am 

This one is strictly speaking not quite OK. Ideally the file should have just one ID3 header, this one has two. A 2.3 header has simply been glued on the front of the existing 2.4 header, instead of replacing it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:33 pm 

Heather,
I listened through speakers, but without a score (I'm leaving on a trip in a couple of hours and have not yet packed). Your playing is wonderful, and this comes through even with the bit-rate. I do believe that you'll get a little more resonance at the higher bit-rate, and with this piece (and Schumann in general) that could be important.

Important: It's possible that your digital recorder already did this at 192 kbps, but your editing software defaults to saving or exporting at 128. I would check the default for both "Save" and "Export" and be sure that they're set to 192. I had this problem with Audacity once after upgrading and noticed that my recordings were shrinking in size after editing.

Looking forward to the rest of the set.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, this is up. The only tag missing in the second file was the Contributing Artist. No problem, I added your name. Also rearranged the wording in the title. We usually list the name of the set first, followed by the specific piece.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:56 pm 

I still feel like a newbie when posting recordings :)
Thanks for the kind comment Stu. I am going to see if I can post with that bitrate.
Here is a list of tools at my disposal - maybe someone can suggest a plan for tagging my next files.

On my Ubuntu Linux computer: Currently use Audacity for audio editing, Audacious and Spotify for listening, occasionally Gnome Soundconverter for file conversion. Also have Rhythmbox. Audacity definitely generates version 2.4 tags. I haven't found a way to manipulate tags with the other programs. I can also install anything else available for Ubuntu.

I have a Surface RT tablet too, which is really an idiot savant. I got it for the purpose of displaying scores in high resolution and working with my page turning foot pedal. It does that brilliantly, but it does not do much else and in particular I cannot install new software on it. However it does have the Windows file manager which still uses 2.3 tags. That's how I put those on this file.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:00 pm 

I use Ubuntu too, so I'll throw something together that will auto-convert 2.4 to 2.3, and you can try it out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:17 pm 

Wow Rainer, you REALLY use Ubuntu :) Thanks for spending time on this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:03 am 

Hi Heather,

You play this piece beautifully. I really enjoyed listening. Looking forward to hearing you play more of these pieces.

David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:18 am 

Thanks so much, David. That means a lot coming from you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:40 am 
Site Admin

That is wonderful playing indeed. A little fast to my taste but none the worse for it. Everything seems just right, an interpretation with is unsentimental yet affectionate. I thought here and there a soft note went missing, certainly in the closing bars (personally I would have re-recorded the closing bars because of that). Anyway, this promises great things for the rest of the set. You've set the bar pretty high for yourself :)