Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach, Prelude and Fugue g-sharp-minor, WTC II, BWV 887
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02 pm 

Here is a further step to the completion of book 2 of Well-Tempered Clavier by Johann Sebastian Bach.
That´s a very nice and lyrical pair. I have choosen a middle fast tempo, so that there is a good flow on the one side, but also the possibility to bring out the lyrical and expressive ideas of both, prelude and fugue.
Hope you can enjoy it!

Bach - Prelude and Fugue g-sharp-minor, WTC II, BWV 887 (9:39)

Here is the link to the video with the same audio-track as the mp3-file above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvEJJtEVSyU (BWV 887)

Post subject: Re: Bach, Prelude and Fugue g-sharp-minor, WTC II, BWV 887
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:47 am 

Hi Andreas,

Wonderful playing! In the prelude you play a beautiful, expressive legato phrasing throughout the long line. The fugue sounds fluent with distinctions among the voices, especially when they enter. I always marvel at your evenness of touch. I've mentioned that before. I don't know if this comes as a natural talent or capability, or if it has to be cultivated over the years of playing much Bach, but you certainly have the gift. Overall you bring a noble sound to this music.

David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:49 pm 

Ditto what David said.
I haven't heard these in years, so I can't compare the tempo with something else, but it sounds very appropriate. Beautifully played.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:19 pm 

Rachfan wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful playing! In the prelude you play a beautiful, expressive legato phrasing throughout the long line. The fugue sounds fluent with distinctions among the voices, especially when they enter. I always marvel at your evenness of touch. I've mentioned that before. I don't know if this comes as a natural talent or capability, or if it has to be cultivated over the years of playing much Bach, but you certainly have the gift. Overall you bring a noble sound to this music.

Thank you, David, for this encouraging and stimulating feedback. I´m happy you like my voicing, because that´s indeed a main feature I´m always working on. (And I´m never absolutely satisfied with it, I have to admit.) Yes, that´s an interesting question, if the evenness of touch can be learned or is a gift. I think, it´s a bit of both like most abilities in music. Of course, the habitude of playing Bach-pieces is a good exercise to practise it. For me the touch and the quality of sound is something like a key to the music. It´s important to play with a soulful (an expressive) touch. I´m always trying to put soul and breath in the touch (and I´m not always successful with that). This soul respective this atmosphere of the touch can only be kept by a recording of high technical quality. For me, there is a big difference f.ex. between a recording sampled with 44,1 Khz and one with 96 Khz, because there is kept more of the atmosphere respective the whole "space" of the sound. I would prefer to record with 192 Khz, which is possible with my sound-card, but unfortunately I always get some of these "digital artefacts" respective suddenly interruptions. (May be it´s because my computer is becoming older and it´s overextended with this highest samplerate. In former times I could make more easily recordings in that quality with the same computer.
I have burned my recording on a DVD-Audio with 96 Khz and it´s really inspiring to listen to it (I have a player, which plays SACD´s and DVD-Audio-format). I personally have the feeling, only like this I really can hear, what I have done concerning my touch and expression and I can think about it and overwork it. That´s one of the reasons why I do recordings.

StuKautsch wrote:
Quote:
Ditto what David said.
I haven't heard these in years, so I can't compare the tempo with something else, but it sounds very appropriate. Beautifully played.

Thank you very much for listening and your encouraging words! Tempo in Bach-pieces is always a matter of taste, so the main thing is, that you personally liked it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:44 pm 

Andreas,

I had a listen to your latest installment in the WTC series. I enjoyed your recording a lot. For criticism it, I personally could not detect much difference between the repeated sections of the prelude, however, I understand in a work of music like this, there is less room for artistic expression because the music moves quite fast and it is relatively dense with notes immediately following the previous ones and of course no time to rest. Kudos and look forward to the next pair!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:47 am 

These are excellent. The prelude especially. It has a really remarkable fluidity and breath. It is so good that I wonder why you are sharing it here for free... but thank you! The fugue is quite good, just a little bit stodgy for the first minute or so, maybe due to approaching it too vertically and not enough horizontally? but it gets better as it goes along.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:02 pm 

Hi Riley,
pianoman342 wrote:
Quote:
I had a listen to your latest installment in the WTC series. I enjoyed your recording a lot. For criticism it, I personally could not detect much difference between the repeated sections of the prelude, however, I understand in a work of music like this, there is less room for artistic expression because the music moves quite fast and it is relatively dense with notes immediately following the previous ones and of course no time to rest. Kudos and look forward to the next pair!

Thank you for your praise and criticism. I think, you are right. Normally I change something during the repeat in the prelude, f.ex. another articulation or dynamic or something else. But in this case somehow I had no idea respective inspiration for that. I find the prelude too lyrical to play something too much non legato here and the dynamic at the beginning seems to be prescribed by Bach himself, isn´t it?

hreichgott wrote:
Quote:
These are excellent. The prelude especially. It has a really remarkable fluidity and breath. It is so good that I wonder why you are sharing it here for free... but thank you! The fugue is quite good, just a little bit stodgy for the first minute or so, maybe due to approaching it too vertically and not enough horizontally? but it gets better as it goes along.

Thank you for the praise. I´m happy you like my verison. Yes, may be you are right concerning the beginning. Sometimes I need a while to come into a piece, so it could be here, too. The idea of thinking vertically in fugues is important, indeed, because the horizontal thinking is its nature. Thank you for reminding me to that! :D

Last edited by musicusblau on Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:40 pm 

BRAVO! The prelude is fantastic with uninterrupted flow and beautiful phrases, and amazing control of dynamics to achieve great expressiveness with small nuances. The fugue is not a work I know well but I enjoyed it!

Joachim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:39 pm 

Troglodyte wrote:
Quote:
BRAVO! The prelude is fantastic with uninterrupted flow and beautiful phrases, and amazing control of dynamics to achieve great expressiveness with small nuances. The fugue is not a work I know well but I enjoyed it!

Joachim

Hi Joachim,
thank you for the praise, especially for "expressiveness with small nuances", which means a lot to me! :D (And sorry for my quite late answer, I´m just very busy in this moment.) I´m glad you could enjoy my recording.