Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Scriabin Prelude, Op. 16, No. 1 in B
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:39 pm 

Scriabin’s Prelude, Op.16, No. 1, (January 1894), falls within his early period influenced by Chopin’s style. Marked andante, the usual rhythmic pattern is triplets; however, the triplets are either aligned as polyrhythms or counterpoint. This presents a thin texture to the listener, yet it is more difficult to play than it sounds. I would characterize this piece as a reverie. Scriabin wanted the bar lines to be transparent—a manner of playing often found in Russian romantic music. This being a reverie, I surmise that Scriabin mitigated structure per se, as dreaming is more unstructured. Although a short work, it is not in ternary form. Instead Scriabin inserted an episode after the first appearance of the main theme, and a different one following the reprise of the theme. There are two climaxes, the first in the rubato section and a secondary one focusing on the highest note of the piece in the second episode prior to the coda. The coda itself is initially dissonant but resolves into tranquil beauty. I hope you’ll enjoy hearing this prelude.

David

Comments welcome.

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”) with lid fully open.
Recorder: Korg MR-1000
Mics: Matched pair of Earthworks TC-20 small diaphragm, omni-directional condenser mics in A-B configuration

Scriabin - Prelude in B major, Op. 16, No. 1 (2:45)

Post subject: Re: Scriabin Prelude, Op. 16, No. 1 in B
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

That was nice. An interesting code indeed, much dissonant anguish resolving into peaceful bliss. Very well done.
And good to see we don't have to nag about the tags :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 pm 

Hi Chris,

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed my rendition. That piece is harder to play than it sounds. There are leaps there in the right hand that involve both a full stretch of the hand plus lateral movement of the arm. And with all the humidity in the air, there is constant guarding against ghost notes. When I'm in between composers, if I'm undecided about my next piece, I can always depend immediately on Scriabin or Rachmaninov to give me an inspiration.

I think I have the tags down now better than the music. :lol:

David

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
That piece is harder to play than it sounds.

Most pieces are.

Rachfan wrote:
I think I have the tags down now better than the music. :lol:

Haha.. at least you've learned something here then :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

This one is on the site.

Rachfan wrote:
When I'm in between composers, if I'm undecided about my next piece,

Huh... I can't begin to imagine what that would be like.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:20 pm 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for putting the piece up for me.

Yes, I know. I think the difference is that you often do arms-full of pieces at a time, while I apply more narrow criteria. For example, I now exclude Baroque, Rococo, Viennese Classical and Contemporary (with exceptions). Probably I should post a Bach piece here, which would provide amusement if nothing else, I'm sure. :lol: Basically I mostly search through the late romantic literature. Therein, I look for pieces that meet my personal aesthetic for ravishing beauty. If a piece leaves me cold, I won't touch it. Life is too short to play music that cannot move me. In another year and a half I'll be 70. So as the window of the lifespan narrows (the human condition), I think it important that I do what I do best and most enjoy. If I'm practicing a difficult but gorgeous piece, it will never discourage me. And when I can share the results with others, then that's my reward. I believe you're far more of an adventurer encountering a kaleidoscope of the piano literature. And that's great--there's much to to be said for it. In many cases involving obscure composers, had you not played some of that music, then who would have played it? There's no question that it has enriched the archive here and given many a forgotten composer a well deserved boost.

David

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
If a piece leaves me cold, I won't touch it. Life is too short to play music that cannot move me.

Same here, and I guess that holds for everybody except maybe students and pros who HAVE to play certain things for exams, contests, concerts, etc...
My problem is that there's so much out there that moves me and I just HAVE to play it. In a way I envy those who can quietly and purposefully pursue their chosen and well-defined path through literature. And in another way definitely I don't :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:19 am 

Hi Chris,

Yes, I can appreciate your viewpoint on that. I think a lot of it comes back to the personal objectives of the pianist. It plays a big role in matters of repertoire.

David

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 am 

Hi David,
that´s a wonderful piece and performance. Your interpretation is full of subtle nuances. It starts with the pp after the mf, which you bring out excellently, goes over some differentiations between mf, p and pp and an accellerando, which you worked out very convincingly, and ends with a very good ppp. For me your interpretation is an ideal of working out dynamic and tempo nuances. Bravo, that´s a high musical quality as we are used by you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:37 pm 

Hi Andreas,

I'm delighted that you enjoyed so much this prelude and my rendition. This piece offered some difficulties not apparent at first examination, especially the leaps. So I spent extra time to get it up to my personal standard. This is now one of my favorite Scriabin pieces. Thanks for listening and commenting. I appreciate it.

David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:07 am 

David,

I listened to your interpretation of this Scriabin prelude, this is quite excellent. I have not heard it and it is like exploring something completely new for the first time, a one-of-a-kind feeling :) About your playing I am always glad to listen to your work. I see your point, the human condition has limiting factors. I agree with your assessment, it has the feeling of a dream, of floating on rather than standing in place. The ending reminds me of Albeniz's Evocation, also dissonant and tortuous, but finally giving way to a benign end.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:46 am 

Hi Riley,

I'm so glad you enjoyed my rendition of this prelude of Scriabin. Prior to taking up this prelude, I had never noticed it before. It turned out to be a wonderful piece of music. With the catilena melodic line and the deemphasized bar lines, it almost feels like being in "free float". So you're right on! The dreaming is like floating. The whole piece is achingly beautiful including the coda. Those leaps in the right hand call for a fully extended hand and moving the arm as well. They were devilish for awhile when I was practicing, but finally yielded. Thanks for listening and commenting.

David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:14 pm 

Hello, David,

All these recordings that come up... I save them on my computer and sometimes I manage to listen to one, in this case, yours. Do I take it your preference in Scriabin is the same as mine? I much prefer his earlier work, before he got religion or measels or whatever it was, seeing notes through rose-tinted spectacles and inventing Mystic Trumpet... I mean, chords (the Mystic Trumpeter is a song by Holst :oops: ).

Of course half-way through the little girl came along and sat at the piano and tried to accompany you, but still I did make it to the end and I must say I do like this prelude and you do play it with sensitivity, so a very pleasant addition to the site.

You are very focused in the latye XIX-early XX century repertoire and that is good for us, as it gives us many gems, but I must say I could never concentrate so much on any one given period. I play from Bach to Rautavaara, though this month I have not touched the piano since 2nd august. (I have just heard some ice-cream has been poured into it, so maybe now it will sound better! :D )

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
HI much prefer his earlier work, before he got religion or measels or whatever it was, seeing notes through rose-tinted spectacles and inventing Mystic Trumpet... I mean, chords (the Mystic Trumpeter is a song by Holst :oops: ).
Same here. I can't warm to late or even 'mature' Scriabin.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:54 pm 

David,
I'll just add my 'thank you' for this wonderful recording. I had to listen 3 times to make sure that I had nothing to add, except that I agree with Riley that the end reminds me of Albeniz.