Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:16 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
Here is my second video-recording of this piece in which I tried to improve some of the technical issues discussed in my first posting. Not sure if anyone who heard my first version will notice an improvement, but I do. Hope this sounds better now.... :)

Again--here is the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQTIyVjY ... fVnX5BuRtg


And here is an mp3 taken from the video:

Chopin - Waltz in D-flat Major, Op. 70, No. 3

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:18 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9489
Location: Netherlands
IMO there were no technical issues in the previous version, just some artistic issues, mainly the controversial detached notes. I think it sounds better without them. This version sounds marginally more assured and involved. It has a touch more rubato which is an improvement.
I still find the wistful trio section a bit too business-like, especially the phrase-endings with the trills. It could be more expressive and yearning.
Just my 2 cents.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:27 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
techneut wrote:
IMO there were no technical issues in the previous version, just some artistic issues, mainly the controversial detached notes. I think it sounds better without them. This version sounds marginally more assured and involved. It has a touch more rubato which is an improvement.
I still find the wistful trio section a bit too business-like, especially the phrase-endings with the trills. It could be more expressive and yearning.
Just my 2 cents.


Hmmm....there's really no time to do anything special after those trills. Oh well, thank you for listening! :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 715
Location: Edinburgh, UK
You would have got a YT like for that if the ratings weren't disabled ;) ...

... and I don't give them out very often.

Very nice - any nitpicking I could now do would only be from the personal taste department.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:26 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
andrew wrote:
You would have got a YT like for that if the ratings weren't disabled ;) ...

... and I don't give them out very often.

Very nice - any nitpicking I could now do would only be from the personal taste department.

Thank you, Andrew. I feel honored. (Really! :) )
(I have disabled practically everything on my YT channel... :wink: )

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
Delightful!

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:05 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
musical-md wrote:
Delightful!

Thanks, Eddy! :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:59 am
Posts: 258
I really liked this. Yes, it is stylistically on the "business-like" end of the spectrum, but it still has a playful and singing quality, and the slight give-and-take in the rhythm that Chopin waltzes need. Thanks for sharing it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
Thank you, Heather.
I listened to many recordings of this piece, and most are very similar to my rendition - except Cortot who really goes overboard with rubato and all the other stuff he does, which some of it is just plain silly! But that's what is fun about playing/listening to piano music.....hearing and discussing all the possibilities.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:13 am
Posts: 54
I enjoyed that recording a lot. Your playing sounds very refined.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:08 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
In-Flight Piano wrote:
I enjoyed that recording a lot. Your playing sounds very refined.

Thank you, Sam! :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:45 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Germany
Hi Monica,
a very good job! I have enjoyed your performance and I think it´s perfect. I have tried to comment and a to value your video on youtube, but I saw, you have diabled all these functions. What´s the reason, if I may ask? Did you get to much stupid comments or similar?
That´s the reason I have enabled the function "comments only with permission".
Nice camera-conduction, btw. I suppose someone else has filmed you while playing. That´s a nice idea.

_________________
Link to my videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/musicusblau


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:43 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
Thank you, Andreas! Yes, I had my husband hold the camera. He was okay most of the time but got a little annoyed when I wanted to go again for the ninth or tenth time...And on two different days too!

I do have my video set to comment "with approval" (or "with permission"). If someone tries to send me a comment, I get an email message on my computer (and phone). I thought that's how you had your channel too...?

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:45 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Germany
Pianolady wrote:
Quote:
I do have my video set to comment "with approval" (or "with permission"). If someone tries to send me a comment, I get an email message on my computer (and phone). I thought that's how you had your channel too...?


Yes, I have this setting with "comments only with approval" and I also get an email-message, but when I have tried to comment on your Chopin-video, there came a notice that comments are disabled on that site. Maybe it was just a temporary technical error of youtube? And I have not disabled the positive or negative evaluation-thumbs (thumbs up, thumbs down) as you obviously have.

_________________
Link to my videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/musicusblau


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEW Chopin video (last time) Waltz op.70 no.3
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:39 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
musicusblau wrote:
Pianolady wrote:
Quote:
I do have my video set to comment "with approval" (or "with permission"). If someone tries to send me a comment, I get an email message on my computer (and phone). I thought that's how you had your channel too...?


Yes, I have this setting with "comments only with approval" and I also get an email-message, but when I have tried to comment on your Chopin-video, there came a notice that comments are disabled on that site. Maybe it was just a temporary technical error of youtube? And I have not disabled the positive or negative evaluation-thumbs (thumbs up, thumbs down) as you obviously have.


Yes, I disabled the thumbs-up/down thing, but the comments should still work (with approval). Someone I don't know commented on the same video recently. Hmmmm...I don't know what's wrong....

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group