Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Kapustin - Motive Force Op.45
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

I was listening to some of my older recordings and found this one of Kapustin's Motive Force Op.45. I was heavily working on this
in 2010 and at the time, after this trial recording, considered it far from ready. Then it somehow dropped from my radar. Listening back, it seems not at all bad (apart from the too lavish pedal usage maybe) and I believe it would not disgrace the site as is. Any opinions welcome (especially favourable ones, hehe 8) ).

Kapustin - Motive Force Op.45 (1:54)

Post subject: Re: Kapustin - Motive Force Op.45
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:08 pm 

Well, I did not detect any rhythm issue. :P

I did not know this compositor. His name did not prepare me to hear a so jazzy music. Thank you for the discovery !

Last edited by Didier on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 am 

Hi Chris,

I don't know the piece per se, but it sounds very difficult to learn and play. To me it sounds very good. You certainly play it with a lot of verve. I would vote to put it up.

David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:15 pm 

Wow, that's a lovely piece with true jazzy sound. Though I have no score here, because I haven't the link here to Mikes archive, it sounds to have the right drive and spirit. But I cannot say anything say about wrong notes or similar without score.
I really have enjoyed that recording!(what a luck the internet is working here today,which seldom is over the day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:07 pm 

I don't know this kind of music at all but it sure put a smile on my face - do put it up! It sounds like a fun piece though perhaps a bit monotonic and at times a bit muddy, but perhaps that's how it is supposed to be. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Thanks all for the comments ! I've put this up then as there is not much wrong with it except for being a bit muddy (as Joachim rightly observed).
A bit monotonous too, maybe. Single-minded would be more apt, it's a short ride in a fast machine. It needs to go faster of course, and more incisive. That would require a couple months more hard toil on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:44 am 

Hi Chris,
I have listened now with score. Yes, it´s a good version and I think, you have played it correctly and quite precise. (Though it partly was a bit difficult to follow because of signs like "Kreuzkopf" and so on. I just have the pdf-score here on the computer and it´s difficult to scroll back while listening and searching the right places.)
May be you could use a bit less pedal, especially when it calmes down after the second second bracket to piano. I don´t know if it´s really necessary to play it faster, it already has a good drive.
In summary it´s really a good job, bravo!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for listening with score Andreas. I'd half expected a page-long list of errors but luckily this music is not so easy to read from the page :P
Yes it certainly needs a lot less pedal. That would come with getting more confident with the piece. At the time it was quite a struggle and the pedaling is mostly to cover up for lack of technique. Real Kapustin players like Kapustin himself (a pianist second to none) would play this much faster. My attempt is more Allegro assai than Presto. Whether such high tempi are always necessary I am not sure. He (as do others) drives some of his music too relentlessly hard, skimming over the many beautiful harmonies too nonchalantly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:36 pm 

Nice addition to the site, Chris. I thought the name sounded familiar, although I was surprised at just how many recordings of his that we have. (That you have.)
It's so catchy that the roughness in the recording flies by and one does not think about it. Lots of energy on this one - congratulations.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:17 pm 

I don't know the piece at all but it sounds pretty decent. A couple of small rhythmic issues or hesitations at about 20s in and 30s from the end perhaps? Other than that I couldn't hear anything suspicious and it's got plenty of drive and spirit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:37 am 

Adding my vote to those others who don't know the piece but like it, and like your recording.
And I enjoyed hearing you play in a different style from the Bach etc. that I am accustomed to listening to from you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:54 am 

Chris,

I had a listen to this interesting piece by Kapustin. I enjoyed your performance, I personally don't think this is one of Kapustin's better "experiments" in jazz, but it has a jovial carefreeness to it that is admirable. Ok, I don't HATE it... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:08 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
My attempt is more Allegro assai than Presto. Whether such high tempi are always necessary I am not sure. He (as do others) drives some of his music too relentlessly hard, skimming over the many beautiful harmonies too nonchalantly.

I agree to that. I´m only in very rare cases for the absolutely high (nearly unplayable) tempi. (For example I like Horrowitz late version of the Scherzo b-minor by Chopin, it´s a pity for the music in some points, but it sounds so cool, that I like it. :wink: )

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:32 pm 

That's a really cool piece. I just know that Kapustin wrote Suites, Sonatas, preludes, Etudes... but not this piece. It is nice that you introduced this piece to me. :)
Very well played also... I ain't an expert in Kapustin's music. But if you need any suggestion, I suggest that you try "not to play every single note"... if u know what I mean :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:56 am 
Site Admin

But I believe one should play every note. Kapustin does not consider himself a jazz musician, is not interested in improvising, and notates his music painstakingly precise. His own playing is a marvel of clarity and accuracy, 100% faithful to the score. My main fault here is trying to cover up a lack of technique and insufficient practice with a lot of pedal. I'll need to get back to this piece some day.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:41 pm 

techneut wrote:
But I believe one should play every note. Kapustin does not consider himself a jazz musician, is not interested in improvising, and notates his music painstakingly precise. His own playing is a marvel of clarity and accuracy, 100% faithful to the score. My main fault here is trying to cover up a lack of technique and insufficient practice with a lot of pedal. I'll need to get back to this piece some day.

By saying so, I guess you don't know what I was trying to tell. (Or maybe you do?)
'Not playing every note', in my case, doesn't mean that you skip the notes that you ain't comfortable playing or being not so accurate... It doesn't have to do with being faithful to the score and also doesn't mean that you don't need to practice so much and just playing how your hands feel at the time. IN FACT, to be able to do that, 'not to play every single note', you should practice really hard... in that way, you could see where you can "not to play" (or should I say, not to give every note the same energy :)

What I was trying to say is ..."trying to minimize your effort and not to give out your energy more than the piece require"... To give you an example, 2 pianists play the same scale passage,... Both of them play in a good tempo, timing with 100% accuracy... But one can really sound like a machine gun whereas another can sound graceful with beautiful curves... I guess the one that is able to play gracefully practiced the passage so hard and so many times that he knows the road (the passage) so well and know where to put (and NOT to put) more gas...

Don't get me wrong... your playing doesn't sound like a machine gun... It is already beautiful. But it is just my observation that it could be even better! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah I guess I get you. I've not yet raised above the technicalities to a level where I'm playing the music rather than the notes. Being an amateur, this is a goal that will be hard to reach. Especially with such difficult music as Kapustin's.