Brahms Rhapsodie n°2 opus 79

Upload new recordings for evaluation and discussions. Acoustic instruments preferred, although digital is allowed. MIDI or other digitally rendered/manipulated recordings will not be admitted.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Brahms Rhapsodie n°2 opus 79

Postby yvan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:47 pm

:) Hello !

Here's my second recording for the "piano society"

This time, i play a Seiler (1,70 m), better than my old and small Samick...

Brahms - Op.79 no.2, Rhapsody no.2 in G minor
Errare humanum est

Site Admin

Postby techneut » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi Yvan, I was wondering when you would submit something new. As you had only 30 seconds of music on the site so far :wink:

A very accomplished performance of this Brahms Rhapsodie. The piano sounds good. Anything better than a Samick IMO...

I must say I find your rendition a bit breathless and grim. Admittedly, this is not the most charming and elegant of Brahms pieces, but yet there can be a bit more light and shade here. In particular I missed the 'mezza voce' and 'misterioso', this part sounds just like more of the same here. A bit more patience would help - it does not really sound as if you love this piece. You do probably, but it does not show. But this is personal... if this is how you feel the piece, it is a valid interpretation, and a good one. Shall I put it on the site ?
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer

Site Admin

Postby pianolady » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:23 pm

Wonderful! I think you played with great feeling and style.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos:
my personal website:

Postby juufa72 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:34 pm

Here is the sheet music if it is needed.
Madam, what makes you think that I play with my hands?

Postby yvan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 pm

:D Of course, you can put this recording on the site !

Thank you for your comment !

But sorry ! I can't record more music faster. :oops: I'm too slow....

My computer has crashed two weeks ago so i couldn't connect to the site :cry: , but fortunately, i don't lost this file...
Errare humanum est

Postby Anonymous » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:46 pm

I just played this on a recital a couple weeks ago! It was good playing, it's all there technically but I must agree that it is breathless and definitely too fast overall for me. I took out my metrenome and the tempo changed at various sections (which I would recommend against for the most part, but others may not) but generally you clocked in around 120 per quarter note. I worked at no more than 110, so that's something you might want to consider. You might want to think about adding some breadth and variety to your playing. For instance in the very opening theme, try to imagine it unfolding and unravelling, there's push and pull but it's elastic, not at all jerky. I imagine waking up in a wide, rolling landscape (however, a very unhappy and not picturesque landscape) when I begin. Something that my teacher suggested to me and it seemed to work is on the arpeggio ending the "nocturne" section in the exposition and recap., to pull back on it and start the "march" section under tempo, and really only reach full tempo when you hit the forte. In the development, you probably want to think in longer phrases and adjust rubato and the subtleties of your dynamics to that.

Of course, it's so easy for me to be critical considering I was engrossed in this piece myself up till very recently (and I gotta get back on it again soon), but it was some good playing.

Site Admin

Postby robert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:43 am

Jeff said it all :).

I have put up the recording and the sheet on the site.

Return to “Audition Room”