Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Faure, 6th Barcarolle, Op. 70 in E flat
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:52 pm 

Hi Riley,

Thanks for your kind words! Yes, the sound has been criticized, however in the 1980s that's what we had to work with. In those days I used a receiver, cassette tape deck, type IV metal tape (the best), and highly regarded Nakamichi small diaphragm electret condenser mics. To duplicate tapes, we used dubbing units where the master tape would play into the dubbed tape. (No CD burning at that time.) With the above equipment, power supply, mixer box, and cross-cabling everywhere, it took up a lot of room as compared to today's digital recorder with a matched pair of external stereo mics. All things considered, I believe this Faure to be a good recording. I think when I made it I was about 42. Today I think I'm a different pianist in some ways. Plus my Baldwin grand has since been rebuilt for the better.

David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:30 pm 

Quote:
techneut wrote:
musicusblau wrote:
The two page turns may be are a bit unprofessional from a recording-technical point of view (of today), but they disturb your subtle and fine playing in any way.
Yes that's what I thought :P

One point for you! 8) I just forgot the word "don´t" before "disturb". :evil: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:35 pm 

Hi David,
thank you for your answer and detailed thoughts. (And sorry for my quite late reply.)

Quote:
I am disappointed, however, by today's neo-romantics. I continue to seek out these composers to see if I can be inspired to play their piano music. Not much luck so far. :(

That´s interesting. Which composers do you have in mind?

Quote:
Page turns--when I've tried to fix those, my edits are even worse!

Sorry, as I mentioned above, I have forgotten a word, I wanted to say: the page turns don´t disturb your performance in any way.

Quote:
[Yes, it´s a performance of "good old school" and that´s exactly what it makes so unique and valuable (especially in times of today)!]

I've given this some thought lately. Today there seems to be a fixation with correct notes. Of course, we all want the notes to be played correctly. But that seems to have been elevated to an art form, and has become the #1 priority of younger pianists (the recent Cliburn Competition being a good illustration). The old school great pianists like Serkin, Horowitz, Cortot, Rubinstein and Richter valued correct notes, but they also took big risks which often succeeded, but sometimes with the dropping of a note or two. Individuality and personality were integral of those performances. Today so much playing sounds like plain vanilla. Pianists often sound alike. My theory: 1) There is now a worship of the correct notes over all other elements of musicality and artistry. 2) The rise of the urtext edition has obliterated imaginative playing. Today pianists all buy and read from the same urtexts. In the 1900s there were many editions available which varied in terms of quality of editing. Some were more heavily edited than others, and the editing skills stretched from one end of the spectrum to the other. Not everyone was a Rafael Joseffy in editing Liszt, or Emil von Sauer in editing Brahms, or those who did the Paderewski Chopin editions. There were many editions to choose from then, and as a result, pianists sounded differently when they played. And going beyond that, pianists also allowed themselves to take a liberty in their interpretations now and then. Nowadays, it seems the urtext is the urtext--despite the fact that not one urtext edition has yet to be proven and pronounced flawless. I don't believe that making note perfection the highest priority and giving ourselves over to the urtexts does much for individuality in the performing art. I'm not advocating that we use poor editions; rather, that we know the good editions from the not so good. Otherwise, I cannot bring myself to believe that these existing trends will reverse already declining audience numbers and/or impel young people to attend piano recitals. Safe, plain vanilla renditions that don't highlight the emotional content of the music are boring.

I agree to that completely! I value the wholeness of expression and emotional content more than a correct note, too. But, of course, I also value the correct notes and give my best to play the pieces correctly. So, I have the same attitude like our great old pianists. :D

Kind regards,

Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
One point for you! 8) I just forgot the word "don´t" before "disturb". :evil: :wink:

Haha, I had that figured out. But it was too good to let it pass by, given my own allergy to audible page turns (used to be quilty of it myself in the past).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:45 pm 

Ha ha! I've given Andreas a full pardon for the missing "don't". No harm done.

David :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hehe :) I think I'll add a new forum rule, which goes like Anything you write will be used against you. As will anything you don't write.
Actually, that would be a nice signature line for me :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:53 am 

Where there are many countries represented here, I think it's helpful to delve into vocabulary now and then.

David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:53 am 

Very beautiful playing of a very beautiful piece; the dynamics in particular seem to swell and fade with the limping rhythm of the barcarolle even from the opening bars. Expressive touch and rubato as usual, and the page-turns and honkey-tonkiness of the piano doesn't detract from those one bit. Enjoyed listening to it a lot!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:55 pm 

Hi affinity,

Thanks for listening and commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed hearing this piece.,

The rising and ebbing dynamics follow a technique of "dynamic contours", that is to say, there are crescendos and diminuendos following the actual contour of the melodic line. It cannot be applied to all pieces, of course, but where it is appropriate it can be very effective. This is even more true if the composer has given only sparse dynamic indicators, leaving much up to the pianist. There are very many opportunities to use rubato too, as you heard. This barcarolle is a great piece.

This recording is from the 1980s, but the piano was rebuilt in 2007. I don't know if you've every played Baldwin grands, but they're very fine instruments (that is until manufacture was shifted over to China a few years ago, so now the jury is out). Through most of the 20th century, in the U.S. Baldwin was the NY Steinway's chief rival.

David

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:25 am 

Techneut wrote:
techneut wrote:
Hehe :) I think I'll add a new forum rule, which goes like Anything you write will be used against you. As will anything you don't write.

So, write or not to write, that is the question! :!: :lol:

Btw, Chris, the 3 new pieces for clarinet and piano from me and Michael Schönfelder, wouldn´t you think, they could be a nice "feed" for the main page? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:03 am 

To write or not to write... well, it's a lighter subject than To be, or not to be. :lol:

I really enjoyed the three pieces for piano and clarinet that you submitted in collaboration with Mr. Schonfelder, Andreas.

David

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
Btw, Chris, the 3 new pieces for clarinet and piano from me and Michael Schönfelder, wouldn´t you think, they could be a nice "feed" for the main page? :wink:

A bit OT here... but not a bad idea. I've created a Chamber Music page and a news item on the main page about it.

Whether this is the right thing to do, I don't know. Our way of categorizing pieces is getting totally arbitrary now. I'm not at all happy about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:07 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
A bit OT here... but not a bad idea. I've created a Chamber Music page and a news item on the main page about it.

That´s a nice idea IMHO, thanks anyway for having put them up. :)

Quote:
Whether this is the right thing to do, I don't know. Our way of categorizing pieces is getting totally arbitrary now. I'm not at all happy about it.

Have you put them only in the category "chamber music" or are they to find also under the name of the composer? (Ah, well, I can find that out myself.) I think, both ways should be possible, don´t you think? (Sorry, that I have stayed OT.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:08 pm 

Quote:
To write or not to write... well, it's a lighter subject than To be, or not to be. :lol:

But very philosophical, too, because it depends on what you write to decide if you be or be not (at least that was it, what Chris said, isn´t it?). :wink: :lol:

Quote:
I really enjoyed the three pieces for piano and clarinet that you submitted in collaboration with Mr. Schonfelder, Andreas.

Thank you very much, David. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:13 am 

Quote:
But very philosophical, too, because it depends on what you write to decide if you be or be not (at least that was it, what Chris said, isn´t it?). :wink: :lol:

Yes, I get your meaning. The good news is that they've been put into the archive. I'm glad of that. It might be that the ideal way would be to have an Audition Room sub-page for chamber music only which could also be cross referenced by artist and composer. But maybe the existing software will not allow that option. I think that by putting the recordings on the front page at least gives them good visibility. So it is a viable solution.

David