Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Brahms Intermezzo in Bb-minor op.117 no.2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:50 am 

Hello it has been awhile since my last log-in because of some busy schedule I have in school, so here it is, one of my latest attempt on recording (amateurish recording)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56rnzxs6BfQ

Comments and suggestions about my playing would be appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: Brahms Intermezzo in Bb-minor op.117 no.2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:33 pm 

Hi EmperorCQX,

Nice playing! This was very enjoyable to listen to. It has a good relaxed, open and reflective quality and really excellent attention to detail. Great balance between the voices and tasteful use of rubato. A lot of thought went into this interpretation. Nothing amateurish about the recording. In fact it sounded professional quality to me, as far as that's possible to tell with youtube's sound quality. For my taste you overuse tenuto/slowdown on the downbeats a little, but that's a matter of taste. The only thing that I think is really a problem is the rolled chords at 1:20 and the similar spot (1:45?). Why not catch all three notes in the chord with the pedal? They sound like odd grace notes as is. Starting your pedal on the low note of the rolled chord would allow them to sound more like part of a three-note whole. You could also experiment with timing to see whether a slower or faster roll suits your overall approach better.

The vocal "wah" at the end almost seems spliced in? That was odd. Anyway, you could easily delete it since it comes after the last note has faded away -- even the room noise has faded by that point.

Heather

Post subject: Re: Brahms Intermezzo in Bb-minor op.117 no.2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:36 pm 

hreichgott wrote:
Hi EmperorCQX,

Nice playing! This was very enjoyable to listen to. It has a good relaxed, open and reflective quality and really excellent attention to detail. Great balance between the voices and tasteful use of rubato. A lot of thought went into this interpretation. Nothing amateurish about the recording. In fact it sounded professional quality to me, as far as that's possible to tell with youtube's sound quality. For my taste you overuse tenuto/slowdown on the downbeats a little, but that's a matter of taste. The only thing that I think is really a problem is the rolled chords at 1:20 and the similar spot (1:45?). Why not catch all three notes in the chord with the pedal? They sound like odd grace notes as is. Starting your pedal on the low note of the rolled chord would allow them to sound more like part of a three-note whole. You could also experiment with timing to see whether a slower or faster roll suits your overall approach better.

The vocal "wah" at the end almost seems spliced in? That was odd. Anyway, you could easily delete it since it comes after the last note has faded away -- even the room noise has faded by that point.

Heather

Thank you!~

Actually i posted on the wrong board, it should be under 'progress' since i plan into its final stage. The rolls were improved but i guess releasing on the first beat isn't a brilliant idea after-all! Maybe if i pedal all under one chord would be very satisfying and will do as suggested.

I didn't knew the 'Wah' at the end frankly speaking :!: :( :oops: