Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Faure, 6th Barcarolle, Op. 70 in E flat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:05 am 

Last evening I was poking through some of my older recordings and came across my rendition of the Faure's 6th Barcarolle. Although the 5th Barcarolle is probably the most famous and well known of the set, the 6th has always been my personal favorite. So I thought I'd post it for the Faure fans here as there is no recording of it in the PS archive. True to Faure's idiom, the tonal centers are constantly shifting, but to marvelous effect. It perhaps depicts a small sailboat bounding over the coastal swells on a sunny day.

The naming protocols are my originals. If there is any interest in the recording, I'd be glad to change the naming and tagging information to PS' standard settings.

I hope you'll enjoy hearing this music.

At the end of June I hope to have a new recording ready. (No hints at this time. :lol:)

David

Faure - Barcarolle No. 6 in E flat major, Op. 70

Last edited by Rachfan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Faure, 6th Barcarolle, Op. 70 in E flat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 am 
Site Admin

Hi David,
This interested me because I have just started working on one of Faure's Barcarolles too - a different one than yours here.
This one is nice and pretty (the one I'm working on is a lot different!). And it's played very well! The sound quality is not so good; there is a lot of hiss. It would be great if you could eliminate it with an editing program. But if you can't, then I would be willing to put this up as is. Let me know. If you want this exact file to go up, then yes please correct the tags and title.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:46 am 

Hi Monica,

Here is a cleaner replacement file for the Faure Barcarolle if you'd like to put it up. The naming and tag info has been correctly entered. But on my last post, Chris said he could tell that I did the naming properly but it displayed instead as symbols, but where he knows programming he could tell that I had formatted it correctly. He had to then override that with the naming as it should have appeared. I had no control over it. Hopefully this one will display correctly as have all of my others previously submitted. The uploading of this file is taking forever! Will there be a way to move the music file up to my original post?

Looking forward to hearing your Faure.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Admin

This probably Faure's most popular, appealing and sunny Barcarolle, the first one I came to know.
It is artistically played, and I like the way you bring out the middle voice in some places, I had never really noticed that voice and will take heed of
it from now on. I don't hear much if any hiss, but I don't have Monica's hiss-specialized ears.
Now I have to be honest and say that I have some problems with this recording:

1) The tempo seems much too slow and rigid. This could be personal of course. But I believe this music should flow and swing a bit.
2) The piano sounds rather clangorous.
3) There is far too much pedal, or in any case it's not always released in time.
4) There are a couple of hesitations/page turns which you should really cut out. This would NOT diminish your performance.
5) I thought there were some dropped notes and maybe some passages not played as written. Would have to follow with score to be sure.

Sorry to be a bit critical !
Naming and tagging looks fine to me, the one tag you forgot is 'Album' but this is no big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, the file sounds swimmy, but I guess there is less hiss now. Chris probably listened to the second file here. Anyway, I do not know this piece and therefore didn't know your tempo is too slow. Do you still want it on the site?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Ok, the file sounds swimmy, but I guess there is less hiss now. Chris probably listened to the second file here.

Didn't know there were two versions, was hiss removed ? Usually that does not improve sound quality. I probably would not have heard it in the first version, these days I don't notice hiss if it slapps me in the face :)

pianolady wrote:
Anyway, I do not know this piece and therefore didn't know your tempo is too slow. Do you still want it on the site?

It's just my opinion that it is too slow. If David is following a metronome mark or the example of some great pianist, then I've no problem with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Ok, the file sounds swimmy, but I guess there is less hiss now. Chris probably listened to the second file here.

Didn't know there were two versions, was hiss removed ? Usually that does not improve sound quality. I probably would not have heard it in the first version, these days I don't notice hiss if it slapps me in the face :)
I don't recall hearing hiss in your recordings; are you eliminating it in your post-processing?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I don't recall hearing hiss in your recordings; are you eliminating it in your post-processing?

No I don't. I know my recordings with the Edirol had considerable hiss, I think it's better since I have a Tascam, but probably still there. I am surprised you
don't hear any.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:53 pm 

Hi Chris and Monica,

This is a 1986 recording, but I was able to edit out the hiss successfully. As for the tempo, the only recording I have is Jean-Philippe Collard's. At the time, I knew my tempo was a bit slower. I just tried to play the CD now, but Windows player is not cooperating, so I'll have to figure it out tonight. Nonetheless, I do believe that the music is expressive at the chosen speed. The Baldwin piano sound is different now due to the 2007 rebuilding. Regarding pedaling, I believe that Faure and Debussy's works can generally use more pedal than most other composers' works. Also much of the music is in the treble and high treble which allows for more pedal. Half pedal releases are used extensively in this genre as well. Having said that, do I use more judicious pedal now than 30 years ago? I hope so! :) Yes, I know of those two page turns. Whenever I try those kinds of edits, I cringe at the results. There could be a few wrong notes, as I do full recording takes. I would also admit that within the realm of technique, moving linear passage work is not my strongest suit. I'm Old School and look beyond a few wrong notes. I'm more interested in doing a rendition that comports with the composer's wishes, but also allows for some individuality in putting the piece over to the listener.

Anyway, I'll leave it up to you guys as to whether you want to put it up. If not, I'm sure many people would enjoy hearing it here in Audition Room.

Sorry about the Album tag. I don't know how I missed it, as I had the guide sheet right in front of me!

David

Last edited by Rachfan on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:

No I don't. I know my recordings with the Edirol had considerable hiss, I think it's better since I have a Tascam, but probably still there. I am surprised you
don't hear any.

I don’t exactly remember when you switched recorders; I’m pretty sure I remember thinking that your recordings were clear and I was sure it was because of some setting on your editing program. I don’t think recorders like the ones we use can produce hiss-free recordings. I thought only expensive microphones can do that...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I don’t exactly remember when you switched recorders; I’m pretty sure I remember thinking that your recordings were clear and I was sure it was because of some setting on your editing program.

I'm sure I remember hearing hiss when I used Edirol but not so much after that. Could be I'm just going deaf :)
The only thing I do in postprocessing, except for cutting out flubs, is applying reverb.

pianolady wrote:
I don’t think recorders like the ones we use can produce hiss-free recordings. I thought only expensive microphones can do that...
That is probably so. Still I believe the hiss of a good one like the Tascam is neglectable or in any case acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
This is a 1986 recording, but I was able to edit out the hiss successfully.

Then maybe that has caused the sound to be more swimmy and give me the impression it's overpedaled ? Hard to know as I did not hear the first version.

Rachfan wrote:
As for the tempo, the only recording I have is Jean-Philippe Collard's.
Ha ! His recordings introduced me to Faure too. As they
did to Rachmaninov's Etudes-Tableaux. Marvellous recordings from Collard, IIRC.

Rachfan wrote:
Anyway, I'll leave it up to you guys as to whether you want to put it up.

Maybe we should have a poll ? That would be democratic !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:

pianolady wrote:
I don’t think recorders like the ones we use can produce hiss-free recordings. I thought only expensive microphones can do that...
That is probably so. Still I believe the hiss of a good one like the Tascam is neglectable or in any case acceptable.

"neglectable" is not a word. The one you want is "negligible".

I think the Edirol is actually the better of the two recorders; the Edirol is substantially more expensive, or so I thought. But it’s certainly possible that current recorders are even better nowadays. My Edirol still works fine, but the cord is on the way out…again. I’m on the second one, and it’s being held together with electrical tape. I don’t know if I should purchase another cord, or just bite the bullet and get a new recorder.

Ok, back to David’s recording. I’ll put this up since I already said I would, and we don’t already have a recording of this piece on the site. We make a fuss about requiring good sound quality, though, so David I think it’s fine if you wish to post some of your older recordings. From now on they can remain in the forum, but not go up onto the main site. I know you’ve basically said that already, so I hope you are okay with it... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:

It sure is, see http://www.wordnik.com/words/neglectable
Not all the world is American !

pianolady wrote:
I think the Edirol is actually the better of the two recorders;

Maybe yours is, mine certainly wasn't. Anyway, any modern recorder is fine for the purpose I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:

It sure is, see http://www.wordnik.com/words/neglectable
Not all the world is American !

Ok, I have not seen that word before.