Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Terence Greaves: Marche en Rondeau for clarinet and piano
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:51 pm 

Me and my colleague, Michael Schönfelder (clarinet) present you three pieces by some temporary english composers. This is one of them. From my view these are little musical gems in freetonal style.
Terence Greaves (1933-2009): Marche en Rondeau for clarinet an piano, performed by Michael Schönfelder (clarinet) and Andreas Pfaul (piano).
Terence Greaves was a british composer and music pedagogue. For further information see this link, please:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Greaves
See also the link to my video-recording of this piece, if you like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQcqZc3aNCs

Here is the mp3-file, which is exactly, what I play on the video.

Greaves - Marche en Rondeau (2:51)

Post subject: Re: Terence Greaves: Marche en Rondeau for clarinet and piano
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

I like the B section and the brief return of it at the end. The closing is really good. Somehow I don't care much for the
A section, I find it a bit shallow. Didn't know the name Greaves, I guess he was one of those British composers who leaned rather towards the French repertoire (e.g. Poulenc, Ibert) ? Excellent performance but I would have liked a
less dry sound. Would a little reverb be possible at all ?
Strange that there is only a German Wikipedia article of Greaves. Did you or Michael create it ? If so, you should
maybe provide an English version also.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:35 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
Didn't know the name Greaves, I guess he was one of those British composers who leaned rather towards the French repertoire (e.g. Poulenc, Ibert) ?

Yes, he has something of Poulencs style. That´s what I like so much.

Quote:
Excellent performance but I would have liked a
less dry sound. Would a little reverb be possible at all ?

Thanks. I have put my standard-reverb to it, but if you wish, I could put a bit more of it. Let´s see, what the others think...

Quote:
Strange that there is only a German Wikipedia article of Greaves. Did you or Michael create it ? If so, you should
maybe provide an English version also.

Oh, sorry, I didn´t think about that it is in german and so not so interesting for this site (I just put the link from my YouTube-information). I don´t know, if there is an English version. If I find some time, I could try a translation, but in this time I´m too busy for that. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:31 am 

musicusblau wrote:
Quote:
Strange that there is only a German Wikipedia article of Greaves.
Oh, sorry, I didn´t think about that it is in german. I don´t know if there is an English version. If I find some time, I could try a translation, but in this time I´m too busy for that.
There already is an English version, just not on wikipedia. If you follow the link from the German wikipedia page to the Fuller Music site, there it is (I hope it's OK to quote it here):
Quote:
Terence Greaves was born in 1933. He became a boy chorister at Welbeck Abbey in Nottinghamshire and after schooling at Buxton College and National Service in The Royal Signals Staff Band he read music at Keble College, Oxford. He began work as a lecturer at the Birmingham School of Music, later becoming Director of Studies. This brought him into contact with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, particularly the wind quintet and its clarinettist John Fuest, with whom he worked regularly in concerts and broadcasts.

He has written much music for voices, piano and various wind instruments, particularly the clarinet. For the CBSO he composed a pair of fun pieces: for Wind Quintet - 'Beethoven's Fifth Bossa Nova' and for Brass Quintet - Rimsky's Rumba. Later, at the suggestion of Kerry Camden he wrote for Wind Quintet, again, 'Mozart's Turkey Rock Mambo'.

He became Dean at the Royal Northern College of Music, from which he took early retirement to work as a freelance composer, accompanist, lecturer, writer and music consultant on examination matters. He was the examiner for the first examinations of the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music in Vienna in 1986.

By the way, Andreas, when will these three temporary composers become permanent? 8) Zeitgenössisch is contemporary.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Contemporary actually seems quite a misnomer for composers that are dead. Temporary was more appropriate in fact :) But as Heather pointed out, are we not all !?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:44 am 

Hi Andreas,

Very fine playing! Yes, I too can hear a Poulenc influence here. I probably wouldn't add more reverb if any, as the musical lines have a nice clean sound to them that seems in character with the music. Just my opinion.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:14 pm 

Rainer wrote:
Quote:
By the way, Andreas, when will these three temporary composers become permanent? 8) Zeitgenössisch is contemporary.

Thank you, I´m permanently learning English respective temporarily I try to overcome lacks in my vocabulary memory. (I knew that, but didn´t think of it. :) )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:16 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
Contemporary actually seems quite a misnomer for composers that are dead. Temporary was more appropriate in fact :)

That´s really a good one. (And it has something of the british black humour, isn´t it?!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 pm 

Rachfan wrote:

Quote:
Very fine playing! Yes, I too can hear a Poulenc influence here. I probably wouldn't add more reverb if any, as the musical lines have a nice clean sound to them that seems in character with the music. Just my opinion.

Thank you for your appreciated praise, David. :D Yes, I agree, I also wouldn´t add more reverb. I also asked Michael, who agreed to the same. I already have added quite a load of reverb to it (it´s my standard reverbing).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:31 pm 

Hi Andreas,

I had a listen to yours and Mr. Schönfelder's recording. I like the music and I think you both did a wonderful job playing this composer. I haven't heard anything by Greaves before this so this creates a good first impression. Sorry to hear he passed away recently (some may debate that 2009 is recent) but all the same I imagine he would be delighted to hear this recording. So again, nice work. Now to check out the other duet recordings you have produced. Not often to see some of this sort, but they are a nice respite from solely solo piano recordings!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:40 pm 

Thank you, Riley, for your kind answer and praise. :D I´m glad you like the piece. I think, they have some modern and interesting elements, combining traditional tonal elements with some dissonances and surprises, like Poulenc did, for example.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

This is now on the site, on a new page 'Chamber Music'.