Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: "The destruction of music because of Youtube..."
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Have you all seen this article? I was taken aback by,"The destruction of music because of YouTube is enormous". I understand Zimerman's perspective, but at the same time hasn't classical music spread to many people via Youtube (or sites like Piano Society, or Internet radio stations...really just the Internet in general) who wouldn't have an opportunity to listen to it otherwise? Maybe he should have said, "the destruction of MY music...".

I certainly appreciate his playing and talent (saw him in concert once), but I can't help thinking he's a cry baby. Seems he is always complaining about something. At Orchestra Hall in Chicago they make an announcement at the start of each concert that no photos or recording of any kind are allowed. However, practically every Kissin concert I've attended there was some jerk snapping photos...with a flash! Kissin must be a lot less sensitive, though, because he never flinched. Even when the flash came from terrace seat which is behind and above the piano...meaning, Kissin had to have seen it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/ju ... f-comments

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Re: "The destruction of music because of Youtube..."
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:58 pm 

I don't think Youtube remotely destroys music, in fact the amount of music which is made readily accessible has to be one of the best aspects of it. I heard this story elsewhere yesterday and, if I understand correctly, his record company are telling him he can't record x because it's already been uploaded? I don't believe that as a valid reason for a moment. Youtube doesn't stop the record companies churning out recording after recording of Rach 2, Tchaik 1, and "named" Beethoven sonatas despite the zillions of recordings already extant on Youtube and elsewhere.

I do however have enormous sympathy with him regarding covert and not-so-covert filming. It's extremely rude. I imagine some pianists will handle it better than others, but it completely changes the parameters of the concert. A concert is supposed to be a spur-of-the moment event; not one to be dissected endlessly over time - unagreed filming moves it towards recording studio territory. I don't mind if I am filming myself - I can suppress it if I hate the end result - but if I suddenly realised someone else was filming that would be distracting on a par with the rather unpleasant experience of realising someone in the front row has got the score with them and is following along.