Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Schubert, Hungarian Melody D. 817
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Didier,
It's getting better. The rhythm is still off from 1:39-1:48. Also between 1:48 - 1:55: you are tending to slip back into the uneven LH here too where you're playing it long-short, instead of even. The tempo fluctuates between 2:28 and 2:45.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

It seems better overall, certainly in the beginning where it now sounds like you appliy rather too much rubato :D
But there's still far too many many strange rhythm glitches, specifically in all the places with thirds. I remember from your Moment Musical that thirds don't come easy to you. You must take special care not to let technical issues disrupt the rhythm. Many people will not notice a slip or missed notes, but everybody notices a stumble. The better ears will notice both.

I still think you should take some lessons. You say you have no time but I don't really believe that. If you have time to practice, record, and fiddle with equalizers you surely can find some time for a lesson now and then ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:26 pm 

Hi Monica and Chris,

thank you for your listening. I agree with your remarks. I will record it fully again.

Didier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:56 am 

Hi Didier,

You do a terrific job creating a sense of "response" in the B section. I played this piece
and I really enjoyed your artistry at doing this.

Congratulations.

Kaila

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Didier wrote:
thank you for your listening. I agree with your remarks.

Sorry for the continuous rhythm-bashing. There is much good here, and if you could create order in your playing your recordings would be real good.
I'd be interested to know if you hear all the glitches yourself when you listen back critically.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
I'd be interested to know if you hear all the glitches yourself when you listen back critically.

That's interesting...me too! I remember a time when Robert submitted something and I tried telling him that his rhythm was off in this one spot, but he didn't hear that.

Also, Didier, I still say the rhythm on your original version on the site is better than these recent attempts. But I’ve just had another idea that may possibly help (or maybe I've already mentioned the idea....can't remember now..). Anyway, I have had to do this myself when encountering a particular rhythmic spot in a piece that I just couldn’t get right.

Hopefully, you have a smartphone, or iPod, or any kind of mp3 player with headphones. Upload a good recording of the piece and sit at your piano while listening to it. Try playing along with it as you listen, and repeat the trouble spots over and over again with your fingers on the keys. It’s like pounding the rhythm into your fingers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:18 pm 

musicrecovery wrote:
You do a terrific job creating a sense of "response" in the B section.

Thank you Kaila. :D I shall say that it is mostly imitation from the recording by Brigitte Engerer that I mentionned above.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:43 pm 

techneut wrote:

Some become obvious once I have been pointed to them. Like the bars 27-28, 31-32 in my April recording as pointed out by Monica. I also hear clearly that my thirds are not as good like the ones of Brigitte Engerer but I am facing technical limits here and I am happy enough that they are better than in my old recording. Some rhythm issues are less obvious to me and I shall measure the beats on the recorded waveform for confirming that Monica and you are right... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:58 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I still say the rhythm on your original version on the site is better than these recent attempts.

Certainly true in the sections of the rhythm issues that you pointed out. However I prefer ... my future version ! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Didier wrote:
pianolady wrote:
I still say the rhythm on your original version on the site is better than these recent attempts.

Certainly true in the sections of the rhythm issues that you pointed out. However I prefer ... my future version ! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:16 pm 

I often find that it's quite hard to remove bad habits from repertoire I learned while I had the bad habit. It's just in the muscle memory for those pieces. It's possible, but takes a long time, and it is much easier to learn new repertoire consistently without the bad habits. Why not pick some other Schubert and start fresh?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:39 pm 

hreichgott wrote:
Why not pick some other Schubert and start fresh?

Because it is like high jump: I am allowed three attempts. :wink:
Here is my third one.

Attachments:
schubert-d817-brest_2013_4.mp3 [4.8 MiB]
Downloaded 114 times

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sorry, Didier, but I'm afraid this is strike 3. I tried hard to find the pulse in the B section but still can't fine one. Also, your tempo fluctuates in the coda section - you slow down, speed up, slow down. Sorry.... :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:15 pm 

Hi Monica,

I agree that the B section could be better and would like it to be so. However it is much better than the one on the site. Please listen to both clips here attached. I might record again the coda for achieving a steadier tempo (except for the conclusive slow down).

Didier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:32 am 
Site Admin

Ok, I admit that this version is better than the one currently on the site. I hope you can fix up the ending. Practicing with the metronome should help. Also, if you plan on editing in a new ending, then be careful with the clicks. I think I heard an editing click at 0:17 on the short sample on the post above this one (as well as a couple other spots too on the whole-piece recording).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next