Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Busoni - Sonatina No.3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

This is a re-recording of Ferrucio Busoni's 3rd Sonatina. I love this piece a lot, Busoni in a lighter and more genial mood than usual. Still not sure what exactly the intriguing title means - I guess he wrote this for lessons to some young American girl.

Busoni - Sonatina No.3 (Ad usum infantis Madeline M.*Americanæ) (6:52)

Edit - Just noticed Busoni happens to be the composer of the day. What coincidence !

Post subject: Re: Busoni - Sonatina No.3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 am 

Heard this work for the first time, and I must say that it is a really subtle grace and beauty to it all. You bring out the yearning themes of the 1st, 2nd and 4th movement very well with tasteful rubato and voicing. Especially liked the ending of the second movement. However, I think you play the 5th movement too gently though; don't really hear the ceremonioso very much, and it doesn't really have the air of an ending. Not sure if making it louder in general would make it better however. You could also slow down more in the transition from the 4th to 5th movement.

Your recording really makes me want to learn the piece. Is it difficult to learn in your opinion?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Affinity wrote:
Heard this work for the first time, and I must say that it is a really subtle grace and beauty to it all. You bring out the yearning themes of the 1st, 2nd and 4th movement very well with tasteful rubato and voicing. Especially liked the ending of the second movement. However, I think you play the 5th movement too gently though; don't really hear the ceremonioso very much, and it doesn't really have the air of an ending. Not sure if making it louder in general would make it better however. You could also slow down more in the transition from the 4th to 5th movement.

Thanks for that Jon. Mvt 5 is only marked un poco ceremonioso, as well as sotto voce e sostenuto, so I would not want to make it too brash. It works up a bit of steam justy before the code, which is then marked pp, and at the end morendo and then piu sostenuto. No, I don't think I'd want to change how id did it.

Affinity wrote:
Your recording really makes me want to learn the piece. Is it difficult to learn in your opinion?
No, it is not overly hard. Certainly not for Busoni standards :) And well worth the effort IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 pm 

What a charming piece! Elegantly played and with lots of humour. I particularly enjoyed the concluding Polonaise. If you really want nitpicking the RH runs in the vivace could be a bit more even - not that it detracts much from your fine performance, in all this is very nicely done!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 pm 

If it wasn't for the Society, the only thing that I would know about Busoni would be the transcriptions, particularly Bach. Therefore, I had always assumed him to be a rather conservative composer. Thanks for setting me straight, Chris, I'll have to try to listen to some more of this interesting music.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

troglodyte wrote:
What a charming piece! Elegantly played and with lots of humour. I particularly enjoyed the concluding Polonaise. If you really want nitpicking the RH runs in the vivace could be a bit more even - not that it detracts much from your fine performance, in all this is very nicely done!

A belated thanks, Joachim ! Yes I think it could be more fluent in places but otherwise this came out well. I've always liked this piece a lot.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

StuKautsch wrote:
If it wasn't for the Society, the only thing that I would know about Busoni would be the transcriptions, particularly Bach. Therefore, I had always assumed him to be a rather conservative composer. Thanks for setting me straight, Chris, I'll have to try to listen to some more of this interesting music.

Thanks Stu. Busoni certainly wan't a conservative composer despite his earnest devotion to Bach. I can't honestly say I like everything he wrote, his
music can be quite dour and/or ponderous. Not unlike Hindemith and Reger (but like these colleagues, he could also write a real charmer when he
wanted to).
I will also be submitting Busoni's sonatinas 4 and 5 in the not too distant future.