Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Liadov - 3 Mazurkas Op.3
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Damn winter shows no signs of letting up yet... I'm itching to go and do jobs in the garden, shed, and around the house but it is just too bloody cold and it's been snowing yet again :roll: So I had to stay indoors today and do some recording. These 3 mazurkas from the 6 pieces Op.3 were composed on 1877. The first one is a re-recording (replacing one of the old recordings I deleted last year).

Liadov - Op. 3 - Six Morceaux - 4: Mazurka in G major (2:44)
Liadov - Op. 3 - Six Morceaux - 5: Mazurka in B Major (2:33)
Liadov - Op. 3 - Six Morceaux - 6: Mazurka in C major (1:32)

Post subject: Re: Liadov - 3 Mazurkas Op.3
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:42 pm 

New recordings! So things are looking up and this is a great sign of the end of our winter here at Piano Society (not at all to demean Monica who has continued to record).
The G Major is very good and was certainly worth the effort to re-record. Sounds very mazurka-y. Sounds very Chopin-y, too. The next is also good, not quite as Chopin derivative.
I think the rendition of #6 is not as "rumbustious" as it could be. (Sorry - I could not resist the temptation to use that word, which appears in the description of Liadov's Piano Pieces and which I'd never seen before today. But I'm not saying this just to use the word.)
Very nice addition to our site.
BTW: His dates are 1855-1914 (according to Wikipedia). Is it a lot of trouble to put that in his bio? You know, "Anatoly Liadov (1855-1914) was a ".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 am 

hi, Chris!

these are nice performances, with a very firm rhythm, expected from Mazurkas.
I'd say you're more comfortable with the style of these pieces rather than the other preludes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the comments Stu.
StuKautsch wrote:
I think the rendition of #6 is not as "rumbustious" as it could be. (Sorry - I could not resist the temptation to use that word, which appears in the description of Liadov's Piano Pieces and which I'd never seen before today. But I'm not saying this just to use the word.)

Yeah, a wonderful word and it nicely describes many of Liadov's mazurkas. No.6 feel I feel as more wistful and elegant, so less rumbustiousnes here (or should that be 'rumbust' ? ).

StuKautsch wrote:
BTW: His dates are 1855-1914 (according to Wikipedia). Is it a lot of trouble to put that in his bio? You know, "Anatoly Liadov (1855-1914) was a ".
Good point ! No idea why I did not add the date when creating the page. It's done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

luissarro wrote:
these are nice performances, with a very firm rhythm, expected from Mazurkas.
I'd say you're more comfortable with the style of these pieces rather than the other preludes.

I definitely have a thing with rumbustious and rhythmical pieces. But I feel just as much for the preludes. Those are more difficult though, especially musically.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:41 pm 

Yes, winter. Where I am we have been covered with snow and ice for months. I kind of like it except that it makes bicycling treacherous and the piano gets out of tune. Anyway, this evening I was a bit gloomy but was considerably cheered up by these Mazurkas. Especially the first two convey genuine joy. It is impossible not to feel good after listening, Great job! The middle part of the G major sounds a bit like Grieg trying to imitate Chopin. I never heard these before so cannot comment on details. Thanks for cheering me up!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Always good to cheer someone up :) These are good fun indeed.
I can imagine a real winter in the north has its charms. Here it is just dark, dreary, cold, windy, and slushy when the snow is slowly melting, causing the usual leaking in my music room (this is scheduled to be repaired in some weeks, I hope they do a good job).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:33 am 

Hi Chris,

Had a listen to your recordings of these three Mazurkas. I have to say I didn't have high expectations for the pieces since Stu said this was not as superior to the Liadov Op. 46, but there is considerable jovialness in these performances, as has already been said. It's a nice change from the soulful but melancholy Op. 57, no.3 :) Nice job.