Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Prelude and fugue a-flat-major, WTC II, BWV 886
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:56 am 

techneut wrote:
Terez wrote:
haha, not really. I just don't hang around because all I ever do is nitpick people's recordings, which is apparently annoying. I try to talk to you on Facebook sometimes but you always ignore me. :P
I do no such thing ! Not that I know of anyway. I'm not a very active FB'er but do check in each day or so and would not ignore a request from someone I know. Maybe you use a feature I don't know about ? There's lots I don't know and understand about FB.

Hmm, the last one I recall, I tagged both you and Monica in a post about this video of the 847 prelude on organ. (Wanted to get your opinion on the concept, as opposed to the somewhat sloppy performance. Monica and I had a good conversation about the shoes, if I recall. :wink: Oh, and I found a guitar interpretation she liked.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Oh, tagging, that is not quite 'trying to talk to'. So you wanted feedback on that video ! I remember seeing part of it and being disgusted. She's pretty enough but a theatre organist at best. No serious organist would take a harpsichord piece and turn it into organ mush.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:12 am 

I specifically sought out an organ recording of that piece because I wanted to hear what it sounded like. I like the sound; I just wasn't incredibly fond of the performance. (That was the only one I could find.) And Bach turned his harpsichord pieces into organ pieces all the time, didn't he? (If not mush.) From what I gather he transcribed things from instrument to instrument regularly. And now I have to apologize to Andreas for hijacking his thread. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:29 pm 

First, I would like to excuse for my quite late answer. I had some private reasons (and they have nothing to do with you all here, of course!) I haven´t visited pianosociety a longer period.

Hi Eddy,
thank you for your comment.
Quote:
My approach to fugues is always one of voicing layers and functions, with emphasis always given to the subjects

At least I try so, too.

Quote:
In this regard, I think more contrast could have been given to your fugue, but it is very satisfying nonetheless.

O.k., thank you for that advice. I appreciate listeners, who appreciate a good voicing and contrasts.

Johnlewisgrand wrote:
Quote:
Piano sounds freshly tuned. The A Flat Major p and f, book 2, are a terrific combo and you succeed in both, notwithstanding the two wrong notes in the fugue and, it could be argued, the very slow (but I think successful) tempo adopted in the prelude. Measured playing, without hurry, and indeed without very much dependence on dynamics; yet it completely holds together, from beginning to end. That takes a precise conception of the "musical whole," as something more than the sum of its parts, which very few pianists can manage in Bach. (And I don't claim to be one of them.) I think it may be a kind of "gift," in other words, which is evidenced here in spades.

Thank you very much, John. This means very much too me. Yes, I´m conscious of the quite slow tempo in the prelude, but it was intentional, of course.

Rachfan wrote:
Quote:
So he left it to the pianists of the future to make those determinations on more modern and capable pianos. Of course, we do have the Czerny edition covered with its plethora of markings, now mostly discredited. In contrast, visually Bach's scores really look like the very origin of the urtext. We should respect that and allow the individual artist to fill in the blanks to form an interpretation in good taste. That's my humble opinion.

Again, beautiful playing!

Thank you for your kind words and good thoughts, dear David, which I always find very inspiring! Yes, I share your opinion completely and I consider it to be my task as an interpreter of Bachs music to fill in these blanks. And I do it in a very subjective way sometimes. That´s what makes playing Bachs music so interesting. That there are millions respective thousands of possibilities to feel them and to put a sense into them, which lies beneath the objective structure. Sometimes I want to make "audible" some certain aspects of the structure, sometimes it´s a certain voice or melody I want to underline and often it´s a certain phrasing or articulation, which fits to my mood of the moment. I don´t consider my interpretations as something "steady" or "absolute", but as a kind of "picture of the moment", a kind of improvised interpretation.

Thank you very much also to you, Terez, for your praise and pointing out some more read errors. I will look for them and see, if they correspond to my Urtext-version.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:40 pm 

I liked the fugue most. You have done a remarkable job finding your way inside all these dense musical windings.
As always your piano is finely tuned and has a clear-cut tone. Perfect for this material. Are you using any compression? If you are, I'd suggest you back down a bit because it makes the attacks in the mids somewhat harsh, an effect quite accented in the prelude.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:33 pm 

Wiser_guy wrote:
Quote:
You have done a remarkable job finding your way inside all these dense musical windings.

Hi, Pantelis, thanks for your comment and your praise!

Quote:
As always your piano is finely tuned and has a clear-cut tone. Perfect for this material.

Thanks also for this. May be it´s a bit a feature of the brand Grotrian-Steinweg to have such a "clear-cut" tone as you call it. I have to say, I´m still very happy with that, of course especially for baroque material, but also for the other styles and epoques.

Quote:
Are you using any compression? If you are, I'd suggest you back down a bit because it makes the attacks in the mids somewhat harsh, an effect quite accented in the prelude.

No, I´m not using any compression. I just put a bit level normalization, reverb and equalizer to the original. But may be I could reduce the mids with the eq a bit. I will see next time, how that works.
Thank you for your advice!