Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: CD officially released; biography change
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 am 

My transcriptions CD has now been released on CDBaby. Digital downloads only for now, but distribution of physical CDs will follow shortly, as will digital distribution via iTunes, Spotify, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlRtSyPAVNU
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/andrewwright

I would like to make a couple of small changes to my biography to reflect this. Thanks in advance.

New bio:

Born in Dundee, Scotland, Andrew Wright showed an early interest in music and had his first piano lessons at the age of seven. Further lessons followed with William Stevenson, but after he left school, Andrew did not play piano for several years. A chance meeting with his former teacher resulted in him recommencing studies, taking lessons with Kenneth van Barthold and Nicholas Pope.

Andrew has an active interest in exploring the music of semi-forgotten composers of the romantic era, such as Liapunov, Tausig and Thalberg, and is especially interested in transcriptions. He is also interested in improvisation and has written several compositions.

Over the last few years, Andrew has performed regularly in public, giving concerts throughout Scotland and the North of England. His recording of Thalberg's piano solo arrangement of 'Casta Diva' was used on the soundtrack in the Australian documentary programme, 'Compass'.

In 2012, he fulfilled a long-held ambition by making a studio recording of selected transcriptions from opera. The disc, "A Night at the Opera", is available online at cdbaby.com.

Post subject: Re: CD officially released; biography change
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:41 am 
Site Admin

Ok, Andrew, I will do this tomorrow.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Just out of interest, is your teacher William Stevenson related to Ronald Stevenson ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:32 am 

techneut wrote:
Just out of interest, is your teacher William Stevenson related to Ronald Stevenson ?

No, though it would have been appropriate considering the repertoire and Ronald Stevenson's record as a transcriber.

I forgot to say - Monica (and Chris, though it's not really your scene), if you would like a copy of the cd, I'm more than happy to send one out free of charge if you pm me the relevant address. It's the least I can do when you both do so much unpaid work keeping the forum running.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:38 am 
Site Admin

andrew wrote:
No, though it would have been appropriate considering the repertoire and Ronald Stevenson's record as a transcriber.

Pity. I'd have liked to be able to brag that a guy I know on a forum studied with a relative of RS :)

andrew wrote:
I forgot to say - Monica (and Chris, though it's not really your scene), if you would like a copy of the cd, I'm more than happy to send one out free of charge if you pm me the relevant address. It's the least I can do when you both do so much unpaid work keeping the forum running.

Thanks for the kind offer Andrew. I greatly admire your playing but I don't think I would actually listen to this CD much, so it seems wasted on me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, your bio has been replaced.

And that's a nice gesture, I just sent you a pm.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 pm 

My sincere congratulations! I just heard the Youtube clip, and all sounds great!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:19 am 

pianolady wrote:
Ok, your bio has been replaced.

hyenal wrote:
My sincere congratulations! I just heard the Youtube clip, and all sounds great!

Thanks to both of you!