Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Mompou - Musica Callada Book 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

This is book 2 of Musica Callada. It includes seven pieces. Here is the information from the CD:

The second volume, with seven pieces, appeared in 1962. The first, Lento-cantabile, is written in a style akin to that of the last piece of the first volume. The second, the eleventh of the series, Allegretto, adopts Mompou's popular manner in its succession of rapid dances and reflective melodies. The twelfth piece, Lento, delights in rich dissonances of the kind that characterize the more 'abstract' pieces of the collection. The next piece starts with a melody in popular style, leading to a short central section of almost Bartókian violence. The following piece, the fourteenth, is of great tonal complexity, centred on the key of C minor, but almost atonal in harmony. The Lento-plaintif of the fifteenth piece achieves a very ingenious rhythmic swing with a motif repeatedly superimposed over the simple syncopations of the accompaniment. The piece that ends the second volume, Calme, begins and ends with an impressionist ostinato, with a more clearly defined, central contrasting melody.

The ones I like best from this book are nos. 11, 14, and 16. No. 13 is the one that scared me to death when I was listening to it in bed. And no. 14 is a little scary too, but it's pretty neat.

Here are the individual pieces, followed by the complete book edited together in case someone wants to listen without stopping.

Mompou - Musica Callada no. 10 "Lento-cantabile"
Mompou - Musica Callada no. 11 "Allegretto"
Mompou - Musica Callada no. 12 "Lento"
Mompou - Musica Callada no. 13 "Tranquilo-tres calme, Energico"
Mompou - Musica Callada no. 14 "Severo-serieux"
Mompou - Musica Callada no. 15 "Lento-plaintif"
Mompou - Musica Callada no. 16 "Calme"

Mompou - Musica Callada Book 2

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Re: Mompou - Musica Callada Book 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:22 am 
Site Admin

I listened to some of these. These pieces seem more interesting and daring than the ones from Book I. These must be great to practice and record as they are mostly slow and easy (though probably also easy to underestimate). When I was following with score for a while I noted that you seem to miss out on some nice dissonance in bars 14 and 15 of no.14 (playing f in LH instead of g ?).
Excellently played once again. A bit stricter and less indulgent than Mompou himself, but none the worse for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
I listened to some of these. These pieces seem more interesting and daring than the ones from Book I. These must be great to practice and record as they are mostly slow and easy (though probably also easy to underestimate). When I was following with score for a while I noted that you seem to miss out on some nice dissonance in bars 14 and 15 of no.14 (playing f in LH instead of g ?).
Excellently played once again. A bit stricter and less indulgent than Mompou himself, but none the worse for that.

Thank you. They are easy to play after you've checked every chord. All those strange harmonies - you have to check each one to make sure you're playing correct notes. But recording is not so easy because of how hard it is to come down with little weight on certain spots. I wanted things to sound perfect, but I am usually tense when I'm recording, so it's hard to do.

I don't know what you are referring to in bars 14 and 15. I just checked and I'm playing all correct notes.... :?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I don't know what you are referring to in bars 14 and 15. I just checked and I'm playing all correct notes.... :?
See image. The G's in the LH should cause a nice dissonance. I don't hear that much, so I thought you play F instead of G (I could be wrong about it).
Attachment:
bar14.jpg
bar14.jpg [ 17.54 KiB | Viewed 2440 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:45 pm 

Hi Monica,

Your Mompou was very beautiful and expressive. Like others, it makes me want to know
a lot more about his work. Thank you for sharing.

I just want to mention to you, that today I listened to your interpretation of The Barber Excursions.
Having studied that piece years ago, I was truly impressed by your ability to shade and create nuances
throughout all four excursions. The tempos were perfect.

You had such a grasp of the mood, style and character of each Excursion. It made for very intense
listening and there were many unique surprises in the subtle presentation of ideas. It was so
artistic.

I just do not know how to go back to the page where the Excursions were discussed
and so I am bringing this up now. Excuse me for the diversion. Thank you for such a stylistically
on track rendition.

Kaila

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 pm 

Hi Monica,

Had a listen to these recordings. Nice playing, I think simple phrasing creates the best effect and I sounds like that was your method? I like number 10 the best. And I must say, I enjoyed this book better than the first! They all seem to share a fanciful mystique that few composers can do well. Should I say... Congrats Mompou :P I don't think he heard me... :roll:

The Charmes set that you have played I have in my collection and now takes on a new meaning, with these pieces also being written by the same composer.

Can't think of anything to criticize, these sound nice and I have never heard them before.

I look forward to the next two books. But I'm hoping the pieces will get more and more positive, not more and more negative :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
See image. The G's in the LH should cause a nice dissonance. I don't hear that much, so I thought you play F instead of G (I could be wrong about it).
Attachment:
bar14.jpg

Oh...that's bar 11 in my score. I do play the G. It goes by quickly though. But nice try! :P :)

musicrecovery wrote:
Hi Monica,
Your Mompou was very beautiful and expressive. Like others, it makes me want to know
a lot more about his work. Thank you for sharing.
Kaila

Thank you, Kaila. If you really want to get to know Mompou, then listen to his Cancions y Danzas. Pretty much all his 'sounds', which are highly unique, are in them.
And thank you for the kind words about the Barber Excursions. I know, isn't that a great set?! I love it. I took it out last summer when I was trying to decide on pieces to play for an amateur competition. Plus there are a few spots in my recording that I think can be improved so I probably should get it up on my piano again soon.

pianoman342 wrote:
Hi Monica,
Had a listen to these recordings. Nice playing, I think simple phrasing creates the best effect and I sounds like that was your method? I like number 10 the best. And I must say, I enjoyed this book better than the first! They all seem to share a fanciful mystique that few composers can do well. Should I say... Congrats Mompou :P I don't think he heard me... :roll:

The Charmes set that you have played I have in my collection and now takes on a new meaning, with these pieces also being written by the same composer.

Can't think of anything to criticize, these sound nice and I have never heard them before.

I look forward to the next two books. But I'm hoping the pieces will get more and more positive, not more and more negative :)

Thank you, Riley. I hate to disappoint, but the next two books are not more positive. There are a couple that have some major harmonies scattered about. There's also one that ends sweetly and then the last one is like a hymn and ends on a positive note.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Oh...that's bar 11 in my score. I do play the G. It goes by quickly though. But nice try! :P :)

True, I suck at bar counting. Ok, all played correctly then. I still think you did not make the most of this delectable dissonance though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:

True, I suck at bar counting. Ok, all played correctly then. I still think you did not make the most of this delectable dissonance though.

There's really nothing of which to make more...it's a soft part and then that G repeats on the next beat. Plus I'm pretty sure I held the pedal down too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:55 pm 

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Oh...that's bar 11 in my score. I do play the G. It goes by quickly though.
He's right, you know, the G-Ab semitone clash is understated to the extent that I can't hear it either. Are you playing the (lower) Ab? :)

Since we're looking at this piece, here are another couple of things I've noticed. One of them is that you've essentially changed the rhythm into 6/8 (2+1 groups not 3+1 as printed), but I guess this is deliberate, inspired by some recording by the man himself.

The other thing is the two identical arpeggiated chords in bars 7 and 8 (if I can count right). The way you play the first of these makes the lower G# (in the upper staff but indicated to be played with the left hand) sound after the top of the chord. I don't think this is what he intended, and it may well not even be what you intended (although the effect is delightful and enhances the mood of the piece). It seems to me that this G# is printed a little to the right of the rest of the chord only to make sure it has a distinct stem, to make clear that the m.g. instruction applies only to it; the note is otherwise to be treated as part of a nine-note chord, arpeggiated as normal all the way from bottom to top, it is not a separate note to come after an eight-note chord. I notice you play the next one differently, but I can't tell whether this is because you got it right or the G# failed to sound.

I presume you agree that the unbroken wavy line across both staves means that all nine notes should be attacked at slightly different times, the first note of the RH after the last note of the LH; that these are not two chords (one of 5 notes, the other of 4) which can be played concurrently and arpeggiated independently of each other.

Don't read too much into these petty criticisms. You certainly do these pieces justice, and I reckon "haunting" is a pretty suitable word with which to describe them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:49 am 
Site Admin

rainer wrote:
techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Oh...that's bar 11 in my score. I do play the G. It goes by quickly though.
He's right, you know, the G-Ab semitone clash is understated to the extent that I can't hear it either. Are you playing the (lower) Ab? :)

Since we're looking at this piece, here are another couple of things I've noticed. One of them is that you've essentially changed the rhythm into 6/8 (2+1 groups not 3+1 as printed), but I guess this is deliberate, inspired by some recording by the man himself.

I don't get what you guys are talking about here. But you are right about my over-all rhythm; accidentally changing it to 6/8. I've had this same problem before....for some reason I tend to screw up dotted 16ths. I'm glad you caught this - I just re-recorded this one particular piece tonight. Maybe it's better...?

Mompou - Musica Callada no. 14 "Severo-serieux"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:18 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I don't get what you guys are talking about here.
It's just that we (well, Chris more than me) kind of expected the dissonance of G-Ab sounding together to jump out at us more than it does, that's all. It's not such a big deal in the context of most of the harmonies being pretty bitter-sweet anyway, so perhaps there's no need for this one to stand out.
Quote:
But you are right about my over-all rhythm; accidentally changing it to 6/8. I've had this same problem before....for some reason I tend to screw up dotted 16ths. I'm glad you caught this - I just re-recorded this one particular piece tonight. Maybe it's better...?
You've over-corrected to the extent that what was triplets has become not quite double-dotting but sextuplets, especially at the very beginning, though it does settle down by bar 5 to nearly the quadruplets it should be. But it doesn't last, in bar 9 it's sounding more like quintuplets. On the whole I prefer your original version; the triplets may not be what's written, but at least they're stable. They also exude a calmness in keeping with the piece, and you can get away with calling it an interpretation. :wink:

Your impatience is getting the better of you in bar 17.

I guess the real reason you re-recorded was to reinstate that missing middle G# in bar 8. I must say I find myself coming around to favouring your way of playing these funny chords in bars 7/8/15/16 over the way I described previously. So the detached-stem notation means the middle G# (or corresponding C# in the later bars) is not to be treated as part of the arpeggiation, but is an independent part of the same chord, to be played on the beat, while all of the arpeggiation (except its last note) comes before the beat. That's more or less how you play it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

rainer wrote:
It's just that we (well, Chris more than me) kind of expected the dissonance of G-Ab sounding together to jump out at us more than it does, that's all.
It does not need to jump out, but it wants to be heard. In the original recording I definitely could not hear it, but now it's given its full due as are all dissonances elsewhere. Yummy, I love dissonances. Never miss an opportunity to toss one off :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:27 am 

Hi Monica,

All of these Mompou pieces have a fresh sound, not only because of the dissonances but also the altered chords and often unexpected passage work sometimes creating bi-tonalities. It's all very colorful indeed. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be No. 15, Lento-plaintif. Very nice playing throughout!

David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 am 
Site Admin

rainer wrote:
pianolady wrote:
I don't get what you guys are talking about here.
It's just that we (well, Chris more than me) kind of expected the dissonance of G-Ab sounding together to jump out at us more than it does, that's all. It's not such a big deal in the context of most of the harmonies being pretty bitter-sweet anyway, so perhaps there's no need for this one to stand out.
Quote:
But you are right about my over-all rhythm; accidentally changing it to 6/8. I've had this same problem before....for some reason I tend to screw up dotted 16ths. I'm glad you caught this - I just re-recorded this one particular piece tonight. Maybe it's better...?
You've over-corrected to the extent that what was triplets has become not quite double-dotting but sextuplets, especially at the very beginning, though it does settle down by bar 5 to nearly the quadruplets it should be. But it doesn't last, in bar 9 it's sounding more like quintuplets. On the whole I prefer your original version; the triplets may not be what's written, but at least they're stable. They also exude a calmness in keeping with the piece, and you can get away with calling it an interpretation. :wink:

Your impatience is getting the better of you in bar 17.

I guess the real reason you re-recorded was to reinstate that missing middle G# in bar 8. I must say I find myself coming around to favouring your way of playing these funny chords in bars 7/8/15/16 over the way I described previously. So the detached-stem notation means the middle G# (or corresponding C# in the later bars) is not to be treated as part of the arpeggiation, but is an independent part of the same chord, to be played on the beat, while all of the arpeggiation (except its last note) comes before the beat. That's more or less how you play it.

I don't agree with you regarding my 'new and improved' rhythm. First of all, there are no triplets...it's straight dotted 16ths followed by an 8th. I just listened to Mompou play this again and I'm playing it the same way he does, so I'm sticking with this version. EXCEPT - you're right about my bar 17. I heard that last night, but I was too tired. I'll do another recording sometime this weekend to correct that spot. And regarding my rolled chords - I'm also playing them the way Mompou does. :)

techneut wrote:
rainer wrote:
It's just that we (well, Chris more than me) kind of expected the dissonance of G-Ab sounding together to jump out at us more than it does, that's all.
It does not need to jump out, but it wants to be heard. In the original recording I definitely could not hear it, but now it's given its full due as are all dissonances elsewhere. Yummy, I love dissonances. Never miss an opportunity to toss one off :)

Yummy in the tummy? :lol:

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Monica,

All of these Mompou pieces have a fresh sound, not only because of the dissonances but also the altered chords and often unexpected passage work sometimes creating bi-tonalities. It's all very colorful indeed. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be No. 15, Lento-plaintif. Very nice playing throughout!

David

Thank you, David. Interesting that you like no. 15. And yes, there are tons of unexpected passages. I have to do a lot of checking to see if I've got the right notes.