Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: 5,000
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

I just wanted to make the 5,000th topic.... :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Re: 5,000
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:05 pm 

Gee, you must have sat up for hours waiting for the 4999th, and then rushed to get in before someone else did.

Is your hand better?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

rainer wrote:
Gee, you must have sat up for hours waiting for the 4999th, and then rushed to get in before someone else did.
Yes, that is exactly correct! :lol:
Actually, I just looked down there yesterday and saw 4,999 and said to myself, "oh goody, I can roll it over to 5,000".

rainer wrote:
Is your hand better?

Thank you for asking! Yes, it's much better now....finally! There are some tough patches where the burns were, but they don't hurt anymore.
Thank you again :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:18 am 

Quote:
I just wanted to make the 5,000th topic....

:shock:

Now that's what I call progress, and I'll bet pianostreet or some other piano forum doesn't have that many... :D

Quote:
Is your hand better?

Thank you for asking! Yes, it's much better now....finally!

That's good, now remember don't pick up any hot pans again ! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:

I know....you'd think that at my age I would not need to be reminded of that. :roll: Talk about learning a lesson the hard way! :( I will NEVER do that again.... :!:

btw Riley, what's it like in China these days? It's almost 60 in Chicago this weekend....and it's December! :shock: :shock: Isn't that crazy?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:37 am 

Quote:
btw Riley, what's it like in China these days? It's almost 60 in Chicago this weekend....and it's December! Isn't that crazy?

Wowsa! It's like 10 degrees here in Beijing, very frigid. I have been staying inside all weekend because I have been sick with sinisitus :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
Quote:
btw Riley, what's it like in China these days? It's almost 60 in Chicago this weekend....and it's December! Isn't that crazy?

Wowsa! It's like 10 degrees here in Beijing, very frigid. I have been staying inside all weekend because I have been sick with sinisitus :cry:

Ohhh....sorry, Riley. :( Sinus infections are terrible! Hope you feel better very soon!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:10 pm 

I was in Beijing in 2009. Make sure to have some Baozi for breakfast! Yummy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:07 pm 

Quote:
I was in Beijing in 2009. Make sure to have some Baozi for breakfast! Yummy!

Cool! What was your business in Beijing?! A conference? I have had Baozi, (like dumplings for all of you who don't know) at a market closeby called Ito Yukado. Definitely something to try if you ever visit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:41 pm 

<I'm sure Monica doesn't mind us going OT on this thread :) >

Business in Beijing was for my wife and I to visit our son and daughter-in-law, who went as newlyweds for 2-years to study Mandarin Chinese (<edited>). Anyway, 4-months into their marriage she became pregnant, so my grandson was literally "made in China"! One of the most peculiar things there is it seems no driver is allowed (not literally) to drive with engine RPM above ~2500-3000: they always shift gears as soon as possible. Another is the motorized rick-shaws, aka "death taxi's." Went to restaurant and my daughter-in-law spoke to the guy, and he comes back moments later with a big live fish in a net to show her, they speak, and later it's on our table over a live fire. Yummy! My FB cover picture shows me, my wife and my son on "the wall." Of course we saw the "Forbidden City" and other sites. One cool thing is that when you go to the movies, you buy a particular seat. I saw Avatar there with my son; it of course had Chinese subtitles. Order any food delivered, whether Chinese food (soups come in just plastic bags) or McDonalds. You must try the "numbing spice," which is meant for flavoring only but not to be chewed itself. Bite it and your tonge and mouth go numb (I know 'cause they hadn't warned me). When we were there In January, it was bitterly cold and VERY windy. Enjoy!

Last edited by musical-md on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:

You're right! This is an 'anything goes' thread.... :)

musical-md wrote:
Bite it and your tonge and mouth go numb (I know 'cause they hadn't warned me).

:lol: that cracks me up...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 pm 

musical-md wrote:

Business in Beijing was for my wife and I to visit our son and daughter-in-law, who went as newlyweds for 2-years to study Mandarin Chinese (<edited>). Anyway, 4-months into their marriage she became pregnant, so my grandson was literally "made in China"! One of the most peculiar things there is it seems no driver is allowed (not literally) to drive with engine RPM above ~2500-3000: they always shift gears as soon as possible. Another is the motorized rick-shaws, aka "death taxi's." Went to restaurant and my daughter-in-law spoke to the guy, and he comes back moments later with a big live fish in a net to show her, they speak, and later it's on our table over a live fire. Yummy! My FB cover picture shows me, my wife and my son on "the wall." Of course we saw the "Forbidden City" and other sites. One cool thing is that when you go to the movies, you buy a particular seat. I saw Avatar there with my son; it of course had Chinese subtitles. Order any food delivered, whether Chinese food (soups come in just plastic bags) or McDonalds. You must try the "numbing spice," which is meant for flavoring only but not to be chewed itself. Bite it and your tonge and mouth go numb (I know 'cause they hadn't warned me). When we were there In January, it was bitterly cold and VERY windy. Enjoy!

Oh I forgot! First thing upon arrival at my son's area, check in with the police. Last thing before leaving, check out with the police. :?

Last edited by musical-md on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:49 pm 

pianolady wrote:
musical-md wrote:
Wonder if you could rub it (or powder and sprinkle it) on hands and make them go numb. It would be handy against painful burns.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:53 am 
Site Admin

rainer wrote:
pianolady wrote:
musical-md wrote:
Wonder if you could rub it (or powder and sprinkle it) on hands and make them go numb. It would be handy against painful burns.

Hey....good idea! Maybe it could numb my wrist pain too!
Riley, can you please send me some of that stuff? :wink: :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:28 am 

pianolady wrote:
pianoman342 wrote:

I know....you'd think that at my age I would not need to be reminded of that. :roll: Talk about learning a lesson the hard way! :( I will NEVER do that again.... :!:

btw Riley, what's it like in China these days? It's almost 60 in Chicago this weekend....and it's December! :shock: :shock: Isn't that crazy?

Monica, sorry to hear about your burns. I've done it before. One night, had just taken a casserole out of the oven, took the glass lid off, but didn't set it securely on the stove. It satrted to fall and I caught it with both hands. Burnt 4 fingers on one hand and 3 on the other. Fortunately, I had an aloe vera plant in the kitchen (always have since I lived in Texas). I kept cutting of leaves, slicing them open and slathering the aloe juice all over my fingers. By bed time, the pain had dulled a bit. By morning, it was just annoying. To top it off, I only ended up with one small blister on one finger, and it didn't last long. Always have an aloe in the kitchen -- it is also good for cuts. Don't mess with the processed stuff, the unprocessed juice of the plant is much better -- and cheaper since the plant will keep growing.

The weather was something else here last week. But, I get nervous when we start hitting 60's in December in Illinois. 41 years ago on the 15th (my birthday) a tornado struck our high school and new junior high. It damaged the roof of the new gym. We ended up with three and a half weeks of Christmas vacation and didn't get to graduate until mid-June. We had never had to deal with that many snow days.

Scott