Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:14 pm 

I started playing the piano at 8, but then at 12 I stopped, and would go back to it only at 15. When I got back, this scherzo was one of the first pieces my teacher taught me.

Now I wanted to learn the other three, and here they are.

There is also a video version of the scherzo. This piece is amazing, isnt it? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4df4bmKVzYQ

Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16 - I Andante con moto(5:08)
Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16 - II Scherzo(2:44)
Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16 - III Andante (5:30)

Post subject: Re: Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Good playing. Doesn't make me like Mendelssohn's style any better though. No.3 has some moments of greater depth but overall the music sounds glib and sugary to me.
Can you please adhere to the rules for naming and tagging ? The Title fields are fine (and that is the most improtant) but please address the other ones too, as well as the file names. And please, use no accidentals in any tag (your first name in this case).

Quote:
Now I wanted to learn the other three, and here they are.

Trouble counting, eh :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:48 pm 

in fact, I had previously written "the othree three". :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:26 am 

I had forgotten to name the files correctly. I have also changed the 'í' for 'i'.

Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16 - I Andante con moto(5:08)
Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16 - II Scherzo(2:44)
Mendelssohn - Three Fantasies or Caprices Op. 16 - III Andante (5:30)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Ok, these are on the site - please check.
You still did not supply all the tags - Album, Composer and Genre were missing. I wish people would take the small effort to check the rules and do it properly the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 am 

What I did to solve this problem was to create a template, so that whenever a new recording is ready, all I need to do is to fill in the fields, which I maks as: Composersurname-op-no-Sarro (for Luis, of course) and so on.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:16 am 
Site Admin

A template would be real handy. Not sure that all tagging software has such a thing though. iTunes doesn't.
Or, I should write some nagging software, hehe :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:20 pm 

Very lovely playing of these moving pieces (which I've all heard for the first time without score). I liked the well-done conventional crescendo in the fast section of the first piece, the scherzo in general, as well as some of the inflections you brought out so well in the final piece. However, I think the middle voiced accompaniment could pulsate a bit more in the main sections, and the climax from 3:31 - 4:07 doesn't sound entirely convincing since the dynamics don't seem to extend past the sfz of the first chord, which sounded a bit jarring. Perhaps you can take some liberty with the sfzs?). Still, very lovely, and I really enjoyed this set in general, so thanks for recording this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice, Luis! Well played - especially the second one. But do you not hear all the squeaky noise in the background? It's really loud on the first piece. Sounds like it could be your pedal? It's sort of squeaky and jingly - like little bells. You should attend to that before you make more recordings.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:58 pm 

Affinity wrote:
Very lovely playing of these moving pieces (which I've all heard for the first time without score). I liked the well-done conventional crescendo in the fast section of the first piece, the scherzo in general, as well as some of the inflections you brought out so well in the final piece. However, I think the middle voiced accompaniment could pulsate a bit more in the main sections, and the climax from 3:31 - 4:07 doesn't sound entirely convincing since the dynamics don't seem to extend past the sfz of the first chord, which sounded a bit jarring. Perhaps you can take some liberty with the sfzs?). Still, very lovely, and I really enjoyed this set in general, so thanks for recording this.

Thanks!

pianolady wrote:
Very nice, Luis! Well played - especially the second one. But do you not hear all the squeaky noise in the background? It's really loud on the first piece. Sounds like it could be your pedal? It's sort of squeaky and jingly - like little bells. You should attend to that before you make more recordings.

Thank you, Monica.
Yes, I noticed that... It's my pedal! The first piece of the set was the last one I recorded. So it means that lately my pedal started making noises... but it wasn't one week ago. =\

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Luis, but that just cracked me up.

Every once in a while my pedals make a strange noise too. It's all part of the piano getting acclimated in its new home, and also temperature fluctuations, which I'm sure you already know. Next time your piano tuner comes, he should be able to fix it. Mine did. Or try jiggling something down there, maybe you can fix it yourself; like possibly it's just a vibration.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 pm 

you're right. and São Paulo has lots of EXTREME weather variations too.

within 2 years I'll change my piano to a bigger one (probably a Yamaha C2). I hadn't gotten a C2 becaus I didn't have all that time at that time, but now I'm working again. =D

I keep thinking... maybe I should change it right now, because... if it takes too much to accommodate to my room, it can be that when it finally accommodates, I will soon change to a new one, then wait 2 years more to accommodate... that would be 4 years waiting for the piano to feel at home in my room. =D

(though the piano tuner told me there will be a new Yamaha series, since Yamaha bought Bosendorfer. so maybe it would be better to wait a while and see how these new pianos will be. I simply can't wait too much: within 2 years, my piano tuner said he accepts back my piano for the same price I paid for. after 2 years, the price changes.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:08 am 

I can't hear the noises on my cheap speakers, but (and forgive me if I'm stating something too obvious) are you wearing different shoes, compared to a week ago? Some rubber soles can make pedals squeak even when there's nothing wrong with the piano.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:03 pm 

Hi, Rainer!
Thanks for listening.

Yes, I was probably using the same shoes. =D
The thing is that the noise is not on the foot, but on the dampers when they reach the strings.

techneut wrote:
Ok, these are on the site - please check.
You still did not supply all the tags - Album, Composer and Genre were missing. I wish people would take the small effort to check the rules and do it properly the first time.

Chris, I didn't fill in the other fields since they are not mandatory (according to the post about tags) and they are not properly used by the MP3 players: each one has a different way of showing them. That's why I never paid attention to them. But if it becomes mandatory, just tell me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

luissarro wrote:
The thing is that the noise is not on the foot, but on the dampers when they reach the strings.

What I hear is more of a metallic sound...like something jiggling. The sound of dampers on the strings is a swooshing sound. You probably just need something tightened or oiled. Have someone crawl under your piano while you play and see if they can find where the sound is coming from.
Although just to warn you, I once heard a strange noise coming from what I thought was my piano lamp and turned out it was a candle stick vase thingy that sits on my fireplace mantel way on the other side of the room. Sound waves....isn't that amazing! I was amazed when I finally figured it out.