Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Haydn Sonata in C
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:43 am 
Here's part of my "junior" recital a week ago. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and would be very interested to hear some feedback to my performance. Here's the first movement, I have the other two if there's interest!

Haydn - Sonata in C Hob XVI No.50 - 1: Allegro
Haydn - Sonata in C Hob XVI No.50 - 2: Adagio
Haydn - Sonata in C Hob XVI No.50 - 3: Allegro molto

Recital at the Lorne Watson Recital Hall, January 19th, 2007

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Haydn Sonata in C
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:33 am 

Any chance you can provide mp3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:06 am 
Site Admin

An excellent performance Jeff ! You really make a good case for Haydn here. There is more than meets the eye (ear) in his Sonatas, and this one is probably much harder than it sounds with all the decorations (it is the same with the early Mozart Sonatas). There's the odd smudge and loss of clarity in the busier passages but nothing to distract from your concentrated music making.

If I can make one suggestion is that you could produce a more 'open' sound, perhaps the playing a little more detached and less legato. The acoustic seems a bit recessed and resonant, which probably doesn't help. And if you are using any pedal, you need to be careful with that (though I did not hear any blurring anywhere).

If the other movements are as good, please post them ! This Sonata should go right up the site. But as schmontz already said, you need to provide mp3's. Not everyone uses a Windows PC that can play wma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Enjoyed this very much. To me, your touch was right on. Also great dynamics.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:37 pm 

My computer only provided the sound and not the video. But nice playing. I am not familiar with Haydn's sonatas. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:24 pm 
Thanks for the comments; I apologize about the lack of mp3 format; I so wrongly assumed that I had ripped it onto my computer as mp3s. I have done that now and uploaded the first movement. The rest of the sonata is up there too! There's one memory glitch near the end of the slow movement, my hand just didn't go where it was supposed to and that really bothered me.

Interesting about the "open" sound. I'll have to work on that, atleast if I ever take up this sonata again. That may help with what my teacher was trying to get out of me. I do feel that Haydn is so unjustly neglected in today's world. I do hope to do more extensive studying of his works, but not until I've gotten my Beethoven kick settled down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, Haydn is underrated, and I appreciate these sonatas more every time I hear them. Thanks for submitting these, I am uploading them to the site right now. Can you please provide some bio information so that I can add you as a pianist ? Assuming that is your intention if course !

Were you the person who upladed a set of vatiations by Pierre Gallant some time ago, or was that someone else ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:45 am 
Site Admin

These are up. Welcome to the gang Jeff !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:12 am 
Site Admin

A really good performance all the way through! Haydn is underrated for sure and especially in these days.

Something I heard someone say long ago but which really caught me is that Haydn is never about love, passion, war and he never tried to translate feelings or experience to music. Haydn's music is about music only and I feel that it is a wonderful attitude! I also really feel that when I listen to your performance. It is just perfectly free from any distorsion from real life and frees my mind. Thank you! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:33 am 
Well thank-you! I am so honored to be among such amazing musicians. Haydn is pure music, I really agree with that. Possibly that's just not enough for people so that's why he didn't get the attention he deserves. Schumann said he's like an older uncle, who's always (wearily) welcomed to a party but never has anything new or interesting to add to the discussion. I couldn't disagree more, especially considering the late sonatas which are almost orchestral in their scope.

I really appreciate the kind words regarding my performance. This sonata was a long work in progress for me that I for the most part enjoyed the whole way through, although by the end I was very much tired of the first movement!

I'm going to add a few more recordings from my recent recital to see what you think.