PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:59 am 

the third piece

Attachments:
File comment: Alberto Ginastera- Danza del Viejo Boyero
01 Alberto Ginastera- Danza del Viejo Boyero.mp3 [2.43 MiB]
Downloaded 148 times

Post subject: Re: Audition- Mozart C minor Sonata First movement
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:17 am 

These files won't play. They don't appear to be in MP3 format.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

These are M4A files which will not play because they have been given the .mp3 suffix. Once renamed to .m4a, then they do play. However we only support mp3 format here, so you will have to re-upload. From what I heard so far, not bad playing though not beyond criticism either. Surely someone will get out the scores and point out all the fluffs :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:31 pm 

They'll play <i>if</i> you have an m4a player.
I don't. However, I found a free downloadable m4a-to-mp3 converter on cnet. (By the catchy name of "Free M4a to MP3 Converter"!). I tried it on the Mozart and got an mp3 file which loads and plays. I cannot vouch for the quality of the conversion, <i>however</i> the resulting MP3 states that it's recorded at 128 kbps.
I downloaded the Mozart score, but I do not want to start the review process until I know what we're reviewing here, since another MP3 at 192 kbps could appear...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:15 am 
Site Admin

StuKautsch wrote:
They'll play <i>if</i> you have an m4a player.

No they won't, not if they are named .mp3.
Both iTunes and Windows Media Player are m4a players, and play these files fine provided they are properly named.
Indeed it's easy to convert them to mp3 but it would be better to skip that step and use mp3 from start.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:11 pm 

StuKautsch wrote:
I downloaded the Mozart score, but I do not want to start the review process until I know what we're reviewing here, since another MP3 at 192 kbps could appear...
If he re-submits the same recording, the different format and bit rate shouldn't much matter, unless we want to review the quality of the recording technology, which I don't think we do. It's mainly about the quality of the playing.

I'm looking at the Mozart, using my 1963 Henle edition which claims to be about as close to Urtext as is possible.

On the whole this is pretty well played with a good deal of sensitivity where required, but here is a list of my niggles.

Bar 11 (0:17) Missing note (the 2nd beat B RH). You probably played it, but it just didn't sound.
Bar 16 (0:26) Timing glitch near end of bar. Could this be an edit which didn't quite line up?
Bar 21 (0:33) The LH minims (half notes) come out staccato. Just an accident, they're OK everywhere else this thematic pattern occurs.
Bar 33 (0:51) This could be editorial because you do the same in the equivalent place later (bar 128) but the 3 editions on IMSLP agree with mine. Unless the LH is drowning them out, you seem to be playing straight crotchets (quarter notes) in the RH (Bbs alternating with Ebs). Each Eb should be a pair of quavers (eighth notes) like in the 3 previous bars.
Bar 46 (1:11) The beginning of this bar comes a beat too early, you are cutting short the rest in bar 45.
Bar 52 (1:22) Good heavens, what an almighty crash! There is no need to play the LH F octaves triple forte. Let sleeping dogs lie. :)
Bars 59-60 (1:33) There is a noticeable slow-down here, probably because you've gotten too fast in the excitement of the dogs waking up.
Bars 63-64 (1:38) I have each of the four groups of notes on the 2nd and 4th beats printed as an 8th followed by two 16ths, with a tr above the 8th; you are playing them as 4 straight 16ths (as though they had been printed as quarter notes with turn symbols above them). This interpretation can sometimes be argued for, but here I would argue against it, given that similar identically printed patterns occur elsewhere (such as in bar 2 etc.) where they are played as 5 notes instead of 4. I think therefore these should also be played as 5 notes.
Bar 98 (2:35) This chord is a beat late. You may have deliberately done so for effect, but I think Mozart's writing of the three previous bars provides quite enough suspense so there is no need to add to it. A tiniest bit of rubato may be allowed, but I would change nothing in your impeccable timing of bars 95 and 96, and would stay metronomic (as you do) right up to and including the 3rd beat of bar 97. I would then delay the 4th beat by a hair's breadth and the downbeat of bar 98 by a further hair's breadth. It needs no more than that.
This same chord is unfortunately missing its top note (the Ab you no doubt intended to play failed to sound), so we hear an ascent rather than a descent to the G of bar 99. This spoils the mystery of the suspense somewhat.
Bars 161-162 (4:17) There seems to bit of panic in evidence here. Relax. If it's too fast, look back. There will have been places you rushed. Don't allow yourself to.
Bar 175 (4:39) This trill is sounding untidy and is also so loud that we can't hear how well the LH is keeping the beat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:34 pm 

I changed the format to Mp3 let me know if you are able to open it.
Thanks for the criticism by the way

Attachments:
01 Alberto Ginastera- Danza del Viejo Boyero 1.mp3 [1.86 MiB]
Downloaded 162 times
04 Mozart Sonata in C minor Allegro 1.mp3 [6.1 MiB]
Downloaded 147 times
05 Mendelssohn Fantasy in F shapr Minor- Agitato 1.mp3 [6.19 MiB]
Downloaded 154 times

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:36 pm 

Let me know if there is any problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:29 am 
Site Admin

Hello and welcome to Piano Society. Can you please tell us a little about yourself? I just like to know a little something about with whom I am talking. :)

I listened to your Ginastera and Mozart but only a little of the Mendelssohn. I think you play nicely. There are a couple 'fluffs' in the Mozart, but they are very small and don't really take away from your playing. The Ginastera sounded fine but maybe a little bit on the slow side? I've never played the piece myself, but I have heard it before. I only had time to listen to a little of the Mendelssohn so I can't say that much. However, I noticed on this recording and also your Mozart that you left way too much silence time at the end of the files. The Mozart has around 20 extra seconds and the Mendelssohn has even more. You should leave only three or four seconds at the end. There is also a fuzzy sound in the background noise which is especially noticeable at the end of the Mendelssohn. I think you are playing on a digital piano, right? Maybe the noise is coming from the post-processing or something....?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:38 am 

pianolady wrote:
Hello and welcome to Piano Society. Can you please tell us a little about yourself? I just like to know a little something about with whom I am talking. :)

I listened to your Ginastera and Mozart but only a little of the Mendelssohn. I think you play nicely. There are a couple 'fluffs' in the Mozart, but they are very small and don't really take away from your playing. The Ginastera sounded fine but maybe a little bit on the slow side? I've never played the piece myself, but I have heard it before. I only had time to listen to a little of the Mendelssohn so I can't say that much. However, I noticed on this recording and also your Mozart that you left way too much silence time at the end of the files. The Mozart has around 20 extra seconds and the Mendelssohn has even more. You should leave only three or four seconds at the end. There is also a fuzzy sound in the background noise which is especially noticeable at the end of the Mendelssohn. I think you are playing on a digital piano, right? Maybe the noise is coming from the post-processing or something....?

I have played the Danzas Argentinas, and I agree with Monica that this first dance seems underspeed and somewhat tame to me, but this is likely a matter of interpretation. However, the end of the first section 39"-45" seems to have some wrong (other) notes in it. I still don't have my music unpacked or my piano in the house yet, so I can't be more precise, other than to say that it sounds different from what I remember playing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

How long have you been away from your piano, Eddy? Seems like a long time. But I know, moving and getting settled takes a while.
We look forward to hearing you play again soon after your piano is in its new home. :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:54 pm 

pianolady wrote:
How long have you been away from your piano, Eddy? Seems like a long time. But I know, moving and getting settled takes a while.
We look forward to hearing you play again soon after your piano is in its new home. :)

Thanks for the good thought, Monica. It's been 3 months and I'm looking at 2-3 more weeks. (I think) :( It's going to be an estranged reunion. We'll have to go very slow at first, walking carefully where we once ran. I feel like it will be like coming out of amnesia.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:24 am 
Site Admin

I can relate to that Eddy. I just started playing again this week, after some 2 months of moving and working like an idiot. It was very strange and awkward at first, but in a couple of days all seems to have come back. It will help that the Gaveau has just been tuned. And the acoustics in my new room are much better due to the high ceiling, which I find inspiring.