Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Kimiko Ishizaka - Goldberg Variations, Chopin, Debussy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:58 pm 

This is Bach's Goldberg Variations, recorded by Kimiko Ishizaka as part of the Open Goldberg Variations project: http://www.opengoldbergvariations.org

The recording was made in the Teldex Studio, Berlin, on a Bösendorfer 290 Imperial. Anne-Marie Sylvestre is the producer. The recording was released into the public domain using the Creative Commons Zero tool (no copyright). It would be great to see the full recording featured on pianosociety.com.

Here's a press release on Musical America about Kimiko Ishizaka's current tour: http://www.musicalamerica.com/news/newsstory.cfm?archived=0&storyID=27857&categoryID=5

Attachments:
KIMIKO_ISHIZAKA_BOESENDORFER.png
KIMIKO_ISHIZAKA_BOESENDORFER.png [ 951.15 KiB | Viewed 3586 times ]
Archive.zip [126.23 MiB]
Downloaded 218 times

Post subject: Re: Kimiko Ishizaka - Goldberg Variations, Chopin, Debussy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:08 pm 

Here are two older recordings from Chopin and Debussy, since it was requested to hear 3 styles.

Attachments:
chopin-etude-op-25-a-minor-kimiko-ishizaka.mp3 [5.31 MiB]
Downloaded 353 times
debussy-etude-11-pour-les-arpeges-composes-kimiko-ishizaka.mp3 [5.57 MiB]
Downloaded 350 times

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:44 pm 

After posting I read the policy about being/remaining active on the forum, and used the opportunity to listen to a number of Audition Room recordings. And it was great that I did! There's a wealth of new repertoire here, with all sorts of intelligent and supportive conversations going on around each submission. Quite a gem of a forum.

A note about the frequency of submission: It's Kimiko Ishizak's intent to submit more here, but only at the completion of each recording project. So it won't be very frequent. Her next project is Bach's WTC Vol. 1, which she only hopes to record properly in 2013, so please be patient =)

And, just to clarify - my name is Robert Douglass, and I'm the director of the Open Goldberg Project. These recordings are posted on Kimiko Ishizaka's behalf, with her permission.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:20 pm 

Hello, Robert!

Have you not written before on this forum? The Open Goldberg name strikes a chord.

I have listened to the Chopin. I particularly like the contrast between the first bars and "the storm". Quite unexpected, it sounded, and quite effective. One reason I like Chopin's Etudes is because it is one of the few genres of his that is not murdered by excessive rubato and this one works quite well.

I believe you will be asked to supply an mp3 rather than a zip, but this will be confirmed to you by the administrators.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:23 pm 

Richard, indeed I posted a year ago for the very first time when we started raising the funds to produce this Goldberg Variations recording. Since then it's been entirely heads-down, getting the job done.

There are 32 individual MP3 files, and I'd be happy to upload them individually if that's what's required, but I thought it might be more convenient to have them packaged together.

-R

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:04 pm 

As I thought!

Let either Monica or Chris tell you what to do. I am only a pianist here!

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Mrs. Ishizaka's playing is of the highest order, a marvel of clarity and precision. The sound of course is as gorgeaous as you could get. Yet somehow I find these interpretations a bit unpersonal and matter-of-factly. The tempi just a little too rigid, the faster variations just a little too relentlessly bright-eyed. The Chopin etude I also found a bit plain-speaking, for all its exquisite virtuosity. The Debussy edtude I don't know well enough to judge. But who am I to judge such classy playing anyway... I'd give my right arm to be able to play like this, so to speak ;-)

Now, seeing as these Goldbergs are part of a project having its own website, was it your intention to have these published on Piano Society as well ? I do not quite see the point of it, especially if Ms. Ishizaka is not going to take part in Piano Society herself (which is what it seems like right now). We like to be a community of active and participating pianists, not just another mp3 publishing site duplicating material that is already on the web.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:05 pm 

It was my intention to have the recordings published here, but only if they are of interest. One never knows where and when the discovery of new music will happen, and having the Open Goldberg Variations published in many locations is one of the main goals of the project. If that's not within the scope of the website, that's of course completely understandable. It is simply an offering to fellow pianists and musicians. We'd be happy if you decide to publish them, and completely understanding if you don't.

Best,

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

I do feel a bit ungrateful turning down such excellent recordings :oops: But unless Mrs. Ishizaka is planning on partiticipating in person, I don't think we should host these, great as they are. Already too many artists use PS only to park some recordings and have their name spread, without ever checking back in. This is just not what Piano Society wants to be about. I'm glad you seem to understand (and I hope the pianist does so, too).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:16 pm 

I only listened to the Chopin.

Very great performance!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:17 pm 

techneut wrote:
I do feel a bit ungrateful turning down such excellent recordings :oops: But unless Mrs. Ishizaka is planning on partiticipating in person, I don't think we should host these, great as they are. Already too many artists use PS only to park some recordings and have their name spread, without ever checking back in. This is just not what Piano Society wants to be about. I'm glad you seem to understand (and I hope the pianist does so, too).

That's true.