Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: New Inventions After Bach
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:48 am 

Hello! Here is a link to 9 new inventions for piano. You can play a recording of any invention while you browse the score simultaneously. I'm looking for pianists to interpret these little pieces. I write much music that has lots of performance indications, but would really enjoy hearing how people will interpret a new score that looks baroque.

Let me know what you think, and feel free/please record and pass along these pieces if you can.

http://www.jeremiahbornfield.com/?p=96

Thanks,
Jeremiah Bornfield - Composer

Post subject: Re: New Inventions After Bach
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:50 pm 

Hi Jeremiah,
Your writing is extremely characterisitc of the 18th century counterpoint style of Bach's Inventions; I know this was your intention and you get an A+ from me. :D Do you know A Second Piano Part to the J.S. Bach 2-Part Inventions by Louis Victor Saar?
http://www.libraries.uc.edu/libraries/c ... /Saar.html
http://library.wustl.edu/units/music/spec/saar.html
Your writing reminded me of the very stylistic writing that he did to work characteristically with the Bach work. The utility of your music is questionable, however, maybe academic at best, because why would I want to play Bach-like music and not just play Bach? I'm certain that you are just sharing with us part of your excellent compositional training that will continue as you gain expertise in several techniques and styles, but eventually I would love to see and hear a "modern" work that uses these devices and techniques.

Thanks for your work.
Eddy

Edit: added "century" and changed one link

Last edited by musical-md on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:55 am 

Jeremiah,

I sampled your new inventions, they do seem to be written in the style of a Bach invention. However, there are somethings that stand apart from the baroque style, for ex. the two thirty-second notes with a sixteenth next to it (it sounds like a triplet) this seems more of the french baroque, perhaps some of Rameau's pieces that use an inegal meter.

Another thing that I like that Bach does that you seem to have imitated in your set is taken how the pieces typically start with a melody in the treble clef, and usually only at the second or later measure does the accompaniment or counterpoint of the bass clef start.

Enjoyed these,

Riley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:45 am 

Very excellent pieces that capture not just the harmonies and the myriad contrapuntal methods (inversion, augmentation, etc.) employed by the High Baroque, but also the spirit. The touches here and there, like the subtle elongation and shortening of note values that give it an improvisory character (e.g the first invention), and the logical extension of some of the subjects (such as the the end of the 2nd one, where the music reaches a high point), seem to me to be deeply felt. This collection seems more than just academic style-writing as a result, and is definitely music despite its inspiration. Will explore more deeply soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:13 pm 

All,
Sorry for the delay. I sent this post through without checking the "notify me when a reply is posted".

Eddy,
Thanks so much for your great comments! I looked up the Saar and will get to the library for a copy of it in time. You're right that this work is somewhat an exercise, but then much of composition is, I feel. And the baroque devices of course lent themselves to the endeavors of the Serialists quite nicely. For you I submit a contrasting work for a mishmosh of players/synths and video, entitled "Breakfast Serial". In the piece I deploy and serialize a tone row that somewhat acts as a tonal canon. Hope you enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WohMJgk6kE

Riley,
Thanks for the heads up on Notes Inegales! It has been a few years since I had to improvise the ornaments of Couperin, but I did it for my illustrious early music professor Ruth DeFord, in grad school. It's interesting what sticks with you and how it manifests later. As for the treble introductions, this is a quasi fugal expository style that I love, as well! Hearing a subject is so important. I'm really glad you enjoyed!!!

Affinity,
You sound like me! I would never try to write something that didn't move me in a very decided way. Putting it that way allows room for many different things. I hope you will keep playing these pieces. I am considering writing several more, and have had a good response from Cory Hall, a pianist/composer that has a publishing company called Bach Scholar. With delight, I'm attaching the recordings he has made over the passed couple of days for all to enjoy!!
Invention 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmJtnN282z8&feature=plcp
Invention 9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06kxw4yZURc&feature=plcp

Best Wishes!
Jeremiah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

These inventions seem to me fine examples of the genre. I have to say I did not find them melodically very appealing, but that could just be me (I needed ample time to really warm to Bach's inventions). Your playing is a bit too idiosyncratic, with some rubati and dynamics that don't fit the style (or maybe just a bit overdone). The extraneous noises did really get on my nerves. I liked the more straight, calm, and clear recordings of your friend on Youtube a lot better. They're really quite good pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:20 pm 

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to interject. Yes, the recordings at the sheet music were made at a live performance given by Lloyd Arriola, who is a fine pianist, and at my direction took as many liberties as he so pleased. I am not going to say that there is a set way to approach music which is, by its stylistic definition, widely interpretable. But thanks for the compliments.

Here are few that I recorded myself and created video to accompany:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8C12SkU7eU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmNGMxzz ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1jTXvfg7gE

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:40 am 

It held my attention very carefully, Jeremiah.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:14 pm 

Eddy, I hope that's a good thing. :)
I listened to your Rameau and Ginastera, bravo.
Very energized and immediate playing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:20 am 

Bornfield wrote:
Eddy, I hope that's a good thing. :)
I listened to your Rameau and Ginastera, bravo.
Very energized and immediate playing.