Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Prelude E-flat major
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 am 
This is a very old composition of mine which might be interesting to the piano society. I am an amateur pianist and composer (kind of guessed...) and my aim is just to have this piece assessed and hopefully played somewhere.

Attachment:
Stephan_Praeludium_Es-Dur.pdf [959.66 KiB]
Downloaded 186 times

You can find the same file on the IMSLP website under

http://imslp.org/wiki/Pr%C3%A4ludium_(Stephan,_Constantin)

and leave a comment there as well. The license is Creative Commons Attribution only which means you can do anything with this composition including any commercial use. You must only name the composer and by courtesy tell me what you actually did with it.

Any comments are welcome.

Post subject: Re: Prelude E-flat major
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Beautiful handwriting ! With such facsimile, who needs a printed score.
Has this been performed/recorded already, or are you hoping to solicit a first performance here ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:49 am 

Hi C. S.,
The only thing I find objectionable is use of the wrong enharmonic in 2nd bar of page 2. To write a Bbb minor chord suggests movement to some Ab-note-using chord, especially either Ab minor or Fb major, but instead you go to Bb minor. The chord should have been spelled as an A minor chord. As for the rest, it demonstrates basic treble-dominated melodic style. Does it date back to your teenage years?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:40 am 
Thanks for these two comments.

I wrote this when I was only 17 and the score you see is the original manuscript from 1982 when PCs were not yet available.

I have played the piece on two or three occasions but never made a recording. Well, a composer's intention usually is that others also play his compositions which is the reason why I posted it here.

Provided you like this very basic treble dominated melodic style (I am glad you did not call it "trivial", haha).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:18 am 

Mr. Stephan,

I reviewed your score. I agree with Chris, the calligraphy is excellent! I wish I had a piano accessible to try your piece out. I am glad the tempo marking is adagio. I think, if I was to learn and play your piece at presto speed, my fingers would need to be hospitalized :lol:

One thing I'm confused about: if this is a piano piece there should be braces around the grand staves, no?

I wish I could hear it, even, perhaps in midi format if not on a beautiful grand by a famous concert pianist.

Look forward to some realization of the written score,

Riley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:52 pm 
Dear Mr Tucker,

thanks a lot for your kind words. Yes, the braces are missing and there definitely is some risk that your fingers might get hospitalized. I wrote this piece in my "wild days" when I thought a good composition should be difficult to play. Maybe I even had the "Virtuoso" by Wilhelm Busch in mind:

http://dardel.info/Textes/BuschVirtuoso/virtuoso.html

I agree that music is something to be heard rather than seen but I have not yet made any digital recording. Of course, I could go out and buy a microphone, search the internet for some recording software and produce and upload an mp3 file. But then, what would I get out of that? You would say "well, he manages to play this piece in an acceptable manner but he is not an oustanding pianist". Which would be perfectly true.

I am still finding out what this site is designed for. Sharing recordings was not on my mind when I joined. My mistake.