Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Piano Concerto No. 2 in D Minor Opus 2 Fully Orchestrated
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 am 

Chris is right, someone like Jan Lisiecki probably has his entire career path for the next few years mapped out by his record label and it's very unlikely he's going to have the time for something like this. Still, if you don't ask, you don't get. I really think someone like a college graduate is a better bet. You know they are going to be competent and they may have some influence with a college or other orchestra. I know someone who is a very fine pianist, almost totally unknown, who has managed to perform Scharwenka 4, which can't be even remotely a staple concerto. There will be people like that out there (probably doing fairly under the radar small local recitals), and maybe they can be persuaded that it's beneficial to their performing cv. I would choose someone who is looking to make a name rather than someone who has already made their name.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:44 pm 

andrew wrote:
Chris is right, someone like Jan Lisiecki probably has his entire career path for the next few years mapped out by his record label and it's very unlikely he's going to have the time for something like this. Still, if you don't ask, you don't get. I really think someone like a college graduate is a better bet. You know they are going to be competent and they may have some influence with a college or other orchestra. I know someone who is a very fine pianist, almost totally unknown, who has managed to perform Scharwenka 4, which can't be even remotely a staple concerto. There will be people like that out there (probably doing fairly under the radar small local recitals), and maybe they can be persuaded that it's beneficial to their performing cv. I would choose someone who is looking to make a name rather than someone who has already made their name.

You're right. It was very naive of me to approach someone of the stature of Lisiecki. I've asked a few other people on YT and I've had the music office at a local university post a notice for me. It's too bad there isn't a publication geared to the pianist that everybody subscribes to. One ad could probably generate dozens of replies. As it is, on the web, it is just hit and miss. Lots of pure luck and chance involved.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 pm 

Joe Townley wrote:
It's too bad there isn't a publication geared to the pianist that everybody subscribes to. One ad could probably generate dozens of replies. As it is, on the web, it is just hit and miss. Lots of pure luck and chance involved.

There may be such a magazine: in the UK, International Piano Magazine (formerly International Piano Quarterly, which I used to subscribe to) does carry adverts for things such as masterclasses, music collectors, private and historical recordings etc. Looking at a back issue, the adverts look genuinely international: not sure what it's like these days.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:38 am 

Actually, how I meant to word it was: too bad all the pianists in the world don't read one piano magazine. I've heard of the PQ. I think my newsstand used to carry it many many years ago. i seriously doubt with the advent of Internet that any magazine has a substantial readership these days. Certainly not enough to justify the exorbitant prices they charge for ads. Thanks for the hint though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:42 am 

Have you thought about writing some other music, say, some piano pieces or maybe something for one of the orchestras you have contacted and who are responsive? It might be that a piano concerto from a nobody (in their eyes) is just too risky and it might be easier to get something less ambitious performed and might pave the way for the concerto. If you were to make your mark with a prelude, for example, people in power might look at you with different eyes. Maybe you could adapt some of your concerto as a piano piece, for example.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:10 pm 

richard66 wrote:
Have you thought about writing some other music, say, some piano pieces or maybe something for one of the orchestras you have contacted and who are responsive? It might be that a piano concerto from a nobody (in their eyes) is just too risky and it might be easier to get something less ambitious performed and might pave the way for the concerto. If you were to make your mark with a prelude, for example, people in power might look at you with different eyes. Maybe you could adapt some of your concerto as a piano piece, for example.

Thanks much for the helpful hint, richard. I've tried to write small but I just can't. I'm not really good at writing for solo piano because I don't play anymore and therefore cannot really hear what I'm writing. I know a synthesizer can reproduce it but I just don't have the motivation to write small pieces. But I will give you and everyone else an update. I've contacted about 20 professional-level pianists, mostly non-name but have gotten only one reply back----from Thomas Pandofi's agent (Pandolfi is a top-notch pianist, by the way, not as well known though). She approached me with an offer for P to give a concert in East Europe where he has some contacts with the Moldavian orchestra he once played the MacDowell 2 with (the entire thing is on YouTube) but once I said I was only interested in an American premiere I think she lost interest. Never called back, at any rate. I've contacted several Music Teachers organizations like MTNA MTAC, ASCO, and several university music dept's and conservatories. Not one response. Even when I offer a generous donation in exchange. Which is not a bribe, BTW. It's called a quid-pro-quo donation and is perfectly legal under the IRS tax code. Apparently, these organizations don't even want to hear about a premiere. They solicit money but only under their terms. Perfectly, okay, of course, but how does one get something heard? If they have no connections they are out in the cold. I'm seriously beginning to believe that even if I were to throw 100K their way with the premiere stipulation they'd still turn me down flat. And some of the pianists I've send messages to on YT with the offer are just students or recent grads, albeit very talented ones. Still, no interest. I think maybe they think the offer is just a put-on, even though I send them the link to the concerto. BTW, I revamped the opening. Does it sound any better? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j_NQEz7L8w