Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bull & Bach
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Recorded this afternoon, two organ pieces that could hardly be more different. The manualiter fantasy by English composer John Bull, on a fugue by Dutch composer Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, is stark and forbidding, dating from the Tudor period, while the chorale by Bach is light and playful, most of the work being done by the left hand and feet.

Bull - Fantasia on a Fugue by Sweelinck (3:27)
Bach - BWV 649 - Schübler Chorales - 5: Ach bleib bei uns, Herr Jesu Christ (2:43)

Post subject: Re: Bull & Bach
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 pm 

These are two nice organ pieces (in the real sense of a full Bach-Bull power drink except that you don´t need any stimulant drug here, though I have to say I have no experience concerning that :lol: )!

Nice playing of the Bach, which I have followed with score. I truely couldn´t find anything to nitpick here. :cry: :wink:

The fantasy by Bull is also very beautiful, I didn´t know it, so thank you very much for sharing. I couldn´t find the score of it, but it sounds also very well played to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Andreas. There would be nitpicks here, be it small ones. The Quint manual coupling, which I usually like, doesn't sound good here in the Bull piece, and the runs, though executed very clearly and detached, are blurred by the reverb. In the Bach, the pedaling is noisy and the LH passage work is not optimally clear in places. There's even some wrong notes, although they don't sound wrong, I just have a habit there of playing something else than written. This was actually an extremely hard piece for me to get into. Playing with LH and feet only is a weird experience and takes long to get used to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:52 am 

So you are the best teacher of your own. It´s very good and important to have the capability of self-analysis respective -critique like you demonstrate above.
Is that piece really only for LH and pedal or does it contain just the most notes in LH and pedal?
(Hold your thumbs for my performance of excerpts of Matthew-Passion on friday.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
Is that piece really only for LH and pedal or does it contain just the most notes in LH and pedal?

Mostly. The RH only comes in at regular intervals with a short strophe of the chorale melody. This is quite common in chorales, but the difference here is extreme. Both the pedal and LH parts are very difficult (at least for me).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:05 pm 

Hi Chris,
I enjoyed the Bach work very much -- it's hard not to like Bach -- and I feel you did a fine job with it. The Bull was a bit boring to me given the incessant repetion of the ascending line, which, I suppose, must have been the Sweelinck fugue subject, but find nothing to critique in the performance. (I Know next-to-nothing of organ playing. I know there's a gas pedal down there somewhere for volume.)

Last edited by musical-md on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Eddy. Funny that you should find a fugal piece boring due to the incessant repetition of the subject :P

Good tip about the gas pedal. I'll go looking for it. :mrgreen: