Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: van Hoorick - 24 Preludes Op.39 - Nos.1-7
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

The first seven of the 24 preludes Op.39 by Belgian composer Geert van Hoorick. MIDI renderings of the complete set can be found on YouTube, but I like these enough to provide proper acoustic recording. I may do some more of this set. They're mostly simple pieces but boasting some good tunes and harmonies.

Hoorick - 24 Preludes Op.39 (2010) - 1: Andante maestoso, in C major (2:21)
Hoorick - 24 Preludes Op.39 (2010) - 2: Allegro marcato, in A minor (1:16)
Hoorick - 24 Preludes Op.39 (2010) - 3: Andantino, in G major (1:28)
Hoorick - 24 Preludes Op.39 (2010) - 4: Andantino, in E minor (3:34)
Hoorick - 24 Preludes Op.39 (2010) - 5: Moderato, in D major (1:27)
Hoorick - 24 Preludes Op.39 (2010) - 6: "Bachiana" in B minor (1:19)
Hoorick - 24 Preludes Op.39 (2010) - 7: "Sarabande" in A major (2:14)

I've also created a YT video with these same soundtracks and the same poor video editing as always :) http://youtu.be/JY80wEi9SDE

Post subject: Re: van Hoorick - 24 Preludes Op.39 - Nos.1-7
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:45 am 

Apart from the 1st one, they do not seem to be there: No. 4 lasts 4" and for the others a 404 - page not found shows.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:37 am 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
Apart from the 1st one, they do not seem to be there: No. 4 lasts 4" and for the others a 404 - page not found shows.

Ah damn, botched upload. I remember seeing some errors but forgot to redo it. They're ok now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:12 am 

Hi Chris,

I had a listen to your video featuring you performing these Van Hoorick preludes, I enjoyed the listen. I haven't heard these pieces so I don't feel I can give you feedback of from experience, but from what I heard anyway. The first piece was interesting, I imagine the score is littered with accidentals :) some parts remind me of pieces by godowsky in parts. The allegro marcato was a real spitfire of a piece, particularly the very end :lol: The third piece brings to mind a piece by Satie I imagine Mr. Hoorick was influenced by him or at the very least Debussy. For the next piece I thought the right hand could sound louder than the left hand, though I haven't seen the score, I imagine you have played what was written. The next piece had a nice tune to it, despite being fairly simply harmonically I think your phrasing fit it well. The Bachiana piece was interesting, I assume an ode to Bach? (like Villa Lobos Bachianas Brasileiras?) I am playing Bach's invention and I doesn't sound much like this, but I suppose it was creatively composed like many of the pieces by Bach :) The Sarabande does have a dancing feel to it, so I think the character of the piece has been achieved through the phrasing. These are some good performances, if the first seven are any indication the rest of the set should be worth listening to!

-Riley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

I watched your video but without the sound. I just wanted to see some "poor video editing". It's not too bad, although a little dark. Looks like you don't have very many lamps on. Maybe that's intentional - I do that sometimes when I don't want to be seen that much, like if I'm having a bad hair day...

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
I had a listen to your video featuring you performing these Van Hoorick preludes, I enjoyed the listen. I haven't heard these pieces so I don't feel I can give you feedback of from experience, but from what I heard anyway. The first piece was interesting, I imagine the score is littered with accidentals :) some parts remind me of pieces by godowsky in parts. The allegro marcato was a real spitfire of a piece, particularly the very end :lol: The third piece brings to mind a piece by Satie I imagine Mr. Hoorick was influenced by him or at the very least Debussy. For the next piece I thought the right hand could sound louder than the left hand, though I haven't seen the score, I imagine you have played what was written. The next piece had a nice tune to it, despite being fairly simply harmonically I think your phrasing fit it well. The Bachiana piece was interesting, I assume an ode to Bach? (like Villa Lobos Bachianas Brasileiras?) I am playing Bach's invention and I doesn't sound much like this, but I suppose it was creatively composed like many of the pieces by Bach :) The Sarabande does have a dancing feel to it, so I think the character of the piece has been achieved through the phrasing. These are some good performances, if the first seven are any indication the rest of the set should be worth listening to!

Thanks Riley. Some of these pieces are much harder than they sound, as they don't lie comfortably under the hands. Hoorick is fond of real tricky hand crossings (he changed some bars in the first prelude after I complained about them). The Bachiana refers, I think, to the c-minor prelude of WTC Book I, at least the RH configuration is similar. You got a point about no.4, the busy and demanding LH part is probbaly too loud.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I watched your video but without the sound. I just wanted to see some "poor video editing". It's not too bad, although a little dark. Looks like you don't have very many lamps on. Maybe that's intentional - I do that sometimes when I don't want to be seen that much, like if I'm having a bad hair day...

I always manage to cut my head in half, having lousy equipment and not much space to move the camera. The darkness is partly, I think, due to the
insensitive little camera and the fact I need to draw the curtains on a bright day like we had, or else I'm directly facing the sun or the clear blue sky, making it impossible to see the score. I should get some blinds, or move the grand the other way (the latter probably not being a good idea for various reasons). Or indeed, put the overhead lights on :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

I know it is hard not to cut off one's head. You should always do a test run first - video a few seconds, and then stop and check it on playback. Also, it's harder when you move around a lot like what you do.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:53 pm 

Interesting choice! Is 2010 the year of composition? If so my guess after listening to the music is off by like a century.

I understand what you mean by "simple" and parts are a bit too repetitive but you render this with complete authority even though I imagine they are not at all trivial technically. Kudos for bringing this up! I would have serious trouble to motivate myself to do this effort.

I found the Bachiana the most interesting. Some of the pieces sound a bit nordic, eg no 4, and the Sarabande very much like Benny Andersson (most famous for being 1/4 of ABBA, nowadays mainly composing and playing inspired by Swedish folk music).

You are right about the singable melodies. It sounds a lot like the piano reduction for some musical, and sometimes like ad lib improvisations. This is a compliment to the fluency of your playing which appears effortless.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 pm 

techneut wrote:
Some of these pieces are much harder than they sound, as they don't lie comfortably under the hands. Hoorick is fond of real tricky hand crossings (he changed some bars in the first prelude after I complained about them). The Bachiana refers, I think, to the c-minor prelude of WTC Book I, at least the RH configuration is similar. You got a point about no.4, the busy and demanding LH part is probbaly too loud.

Is it not wonderful to be able actually to tell the composer to rewrite instead of having to do it oneself!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

troglodyte wrote:
Interesting choice! Is 2010 the year of composition? If so my guess after listening to the music is off by like a century.

I understand what you mean by "simple" and parts are a bit too repetitive but you render this with complete authority even though I imagine they are not at all trivial technically. Kudos for bringing this up! I would have serious trouble to motivate myself to do this effort.

I found the Bachiana the most interesting. Some of the pieces sound a bit nordic, eg no 4, and the Sarabande very much like Benny Andersson (most famous for being 1/4 of ABBA, nowadays mainly composing and playing inspired by Swedish folk music).

You are right about the singable melodies. It sounds a lot like the piano reduction for some musical, and sometimes like ad lib improvisations. This is a compliment to the fluency of your playing which appears effortless.

Thanks Joachim ! Your observations are very astute. These are unpretentious but sincere pieces, not aiming to be modern but content to sing their song without much ado. And good songs they are, IMHO. I had no trouble with the motivation as I really like these, and thought they deserved some pianists's loving attention.

Number one vaguely reminds me of Shostakovich in theatrical mood, and no.3 sounds like it could have been penned by Villa-Lobos. Yes now you mention it, the Sarabande has a touch of the old Bjorn and Benny - one of these indelible melodies that you can't get out of your head for days. I have always liked ABBA as they have given us some of the most unforgettable tunes in the history of popular music (pace Lennon and McCartney ;-) )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
Is it not wonderful to be able actually to tell the composer to rewrite instead of having to do it oneself!

Can't see why I should do it myself. Composers should listen to their performers and not write unplayable things for no good reason. There are many examples of this in musical history, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:53 am 

techneut wrote:
richard66 wrote:

Can't see why I should do it myself. Composers should listen to their performers and not write unplayable things for no good reason. There are many examples of this in musical history, I think.

Lots of them but unfortunately it is the performers who are told to go .... and adapt to the score.

I have listened to them in the meanwhile and I agree they make good listening. Are they a century late? I really cannot say, since for many years now the main characteristic of the times is a lack of character and a lot of diminished 2nds instead.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 am 

Bravo, Chris, these are very interesting and nice pieces. You play them with much expression. Good changing of camera angles (especially the view in no. 3 and no. 5, we should try such things, when we will record Dvorak next time). I have enjoyed to watch and to listen! I like especially no. 4 and no. 6 (as a true Bach-fan, of course). I cannot judge, how you play them exactly, because I haven´t the score, but doesn´t matter, it´s also nice to listen simply and to enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Andreas :) I am glad these pieces are getting some recognition here. I was a bit afraid that I'd be the only one liking them, as sometimes happens with the far-out stuff I submit.