Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Camilleri redo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:51 pm 

There has been a minor change in the setup at home and I have redone one of the recordings I had originally submitted to PS. It is slightly shorter (and perhaps reflects more of what the composer wished) than the original one. I was wondering if it might be a good replacement.

I hope the id tagging is as it should be, though with Audacity and Windows 7 I do not seem to have the fields mentioned in the tagging instructions or at least not in that order.

Camilleri - Due Canti No. 1 - Cantilena (2:26)

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

Post subject: Re: Camilleri redo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:16 pm 

Hi Richard,
I think this sounds very beautiful, both your performance and the recording. You voice it very well. The spirit of it invokes a bit of Satie to me. My only question is, did he really compose the hemiola that sounds around 2:00 and forward for a few beats (that is, is the music meant to sound like he changed the meter to duple from triple?).

Thanks for the post!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

This is lovely, Richard! You played with nice feeling and tone here. Your piano sounds good too.
One tiny thing - and it's nothing against your playing; I hear a clock in the background. It's not too bad and sort of adds a homey feel to the music. Just thought you should know that it's fairly prominent in the recording. (I have a cuckoo clock and have to stop it when I record).

I won't be home until late tonight so I can't put this up until probably tomorrow night.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Good work ! It sounds a lot more flowing and relaxed than the first version, and I have replaced it. The piano sound is also better. I did also hear some clicks although I did not identify it as a clock. Nonetheless perhaps you should put it away when recording. Assuming the thing
Eddy mentioned isn't a rhythm flub (it sounded as if it could have been written like that) I have only one point of critique : be more careful with the pedal. This should not be dry, in fact should be a bit hazy, and it is, but in some places things rather blur for too long. The languid Hispano-Arabic atmosphere is well caught.

Tags and naming were fine, thanks, except for the Album and Composer fields missing, but if you don't have them you don't have them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:36 pm 

musical-md wrote:
Hi Richard,
I think this sounds very beautiful, both your performance and the recording. You voice it very well. The spirit of it invokes a bit of Satie to me. My only question is, did he really compose the hemiola that sounds around 2:00 and forward for a few beats (that is, is the music meant to sound like he changed the meter to duple from triple?).

Thanks for the post!

Thank you, Eddy. What you mention does indeed happen. He does stop the "waltz rhythm" (um pa pa) and changes it to up pa um pa um pa, without, however, changing the time signature.

It does bring the gymnopédies to mind, does it not?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:40 pm 

pianolady wrote:
This is lovely, Richard! You played with nice feeling and tone here. Your piano sounds good too.
One tiny thing - and it's nothing against your playing; I hear a clock in the background. It's not too bad and sort of adds a homey feel to the music. Just thought you should know that it's fairly prominent in the recording. (I have a cuckoo clock and have to stop it when I record).

I won't be home until late tonight so I can't put this up until probably tomorrow night.

Thank you, Monica! What I did was simple: the piano is the same and has not been retuned or anything. I simply turned it around so that, instead of facing the wall it faces the room. This eliminates the clicking of the keys, the occasional squeak from the chair and the noisy pedals. You are right about the clock, but since I did not notice it in the recording, I left it at that. Yes, it is a... cuckoo!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:45 pm 

techneut wrote:
Good work ! It sounds a lot more flowing and relaxed than the first version, and I have replaced it. The piano sound is also better. I did also hear some clicks although I did not identify it as a clock. Nonetheless perhaps you should put it away when recording. Assuming the thing
Eddy mentioned isn't a rhythm flub (it sounded as if it could have been written like that) I have only one point of critique : be more careful with the pedal. This should not be dry, in fact should be a bit hazy, and it is, but in some places things rather blur for too long. The languid Hispano-Arabic atmosphere is well caught.

Tags and naming were fine, thanks, except for the Album and Composer fields missing, but if you don't have them you don't have them.

Thank you, Chris. I stopped the thing today when recording something new.

See my comment to Eddy about the rhythm. As for the pedal, yes, I do tend to do things on the dry side. I really need to practise better pedalling.

Oh, I do have album (Due Canti) and composer (Charles Camilleri). I shall fill in those fields next time I submit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
Oh, I do have album (Due Canti) and composer (Charles Camilleri). I shall fill in those fields next time I submit.

No, album should be http://pianosociety.com. RTFM :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:05 am 

Hi Richard,

I really enjoyed your rendition here. It's definitely more refined than your earlier effort, so it's good that this will be a replacement music file for the archive. Very nice playing!

David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:14 pm 

Thank you, David!

I really should also thank Alexander for this result: he did once suggest moving the piano away from the wall and placing the recorder behind it. It failed but only because the recorder was sandwiched between the wall and the piano. It was only when I observed the setup at the little girl's ballet school ( :shock: yes, not yet three but has been taking ballet lessons for 5 months now), where the piano faces the room. Admittedly the piano there was a bit prudish (it has a curtain hiding its back) but the idea seemed worth a try.

At least now I can face my audience and see the little girl dancing while I practise "The Man I love" (Yes, Monica, I
have played that one since the year dot.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Admin

A lovely recording of a fine piece of music. I have never heard it before so a new experience to my ears. Thanks for sharing (and I did send a tweet about it)!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 am 

robert wrote:
A lovely recording of a fine piece of music. I have never heard it before so a new experience to my ears. Thanks for sharing (and I did send a tweet about it)!

Goodness mine! This way I will become famous!

Thank you, Robert.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:08 pm 

Hello Richard. What a lovely piece! I have a fondness for melodic and expressive music such as this and enjoyed it very much. Had not heard it before.

I'm using my cheaper headphones today and couldn't hear the clock.

Great job. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:23 pm 

mwyman1 wrote:
Hello Richard. What a lovely piece! I have a fondness for melodic and expressive music such as this and enjoyed it very much. Had not heard it before.

I'm using my cheaper headphones today and couldn't hear the clock.

Great job. :)

Thank you. The clock thanks you too! We did our best. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:51 pm 

No! I have not re-recorded it!! I simply edited out the hiss (and consequently some of the tick-tack of the clock). If I might bother you, could it replace the other one with this one?

The sacrifices I make for Monica! :wink: